• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Armed-in-Carmel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2012
    Shocked to hear this, I have a SR9C and it is the best pistol of the 5 I have owned. I have shot several different types of ammo and 1000's or rounds with no issue. It is also the most accurate and best feeling as far as grip and trigger of every gun I own. I own a Ruger P95 and the SR9C is more accurate then the P95. Sorry to hear you had issues but I would highly recommend this pistol. i also have a Colt 1911 that tends to stove pipe around 100 rounds though it

I know Ruger makes great guns in general, but this one was a real lemon and I've heard of a few other sr9c's that have not been up to snuff.

I still like Ruger and will buy myself a Mark III someday, but for now I'm gonna sell the replacement NIB and buy another brand of 9mm.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'll never understand why there are so many to rush to the defense of the Ruger brand name. They have more below average models now than winners. Always reading about how efficient their return process is.

Is it because they're an American company that has a long history?

Even their very best firearms are just OK compared to everything out there. I'll be the first to criticize S&W, too. Sure they made quality firearms once upon a time, but compared to now, they're way behind.

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    Ruger must be doing something right cause they sure are selling the hell out of guns. When I bought my sr9c (which has never had a failure) it took me two months to find one. Mini 14 had to order one, was going to get one online but couldnt find any. Sr22 lucked into that one at bradis. the only gun that I didnt have to search for was my 10/22. theyre selling the hell out of their guns and I can see why... Affordable, accurate, reliable. Just so happened that the op got a lemon

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I'll never understand why there are so many to rush to the defense of the Ruger brand name. They have more below average models now than winners. Always reading about how efficient their return process is.

People "rush to the defense of the Ruger brand name" because they have positive first-hand experience with the product. You can't support the "more below average models" based on my experience. I have had five Rugers and only the Mk III 22/45 ever had a problem. Contacted Ruger and they quickly sent out a replacement part and that gun has been my favorite ever since. I'm not only sold on the quality of their products, but also their support. :yesway:

Sounds like the OP legitimately had a bad experience, but based on the number of people supporting the company, that is the exception and not the rule.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville

Is it because they're an American company that has a long history?

Even their very best firearms are just OK compared to everything out there. I'll be the first to criticize S&W, too. Sure they made quality firearms once upon a time, but compared to now, they're way behind.

this may be true in ways. theyre not necessarily -innovative- and tend to -borrow- ideas from other manufacturers, LCR and LCP come to mind on that.
    ive had colts FTE, glocks FTFeed, S&W revolvers lock up, and a dozen other issues with other manufacturers. ive never had a ruger that didnt go bang, new or old.

Armed-in-Carmel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2012
    Final solution...

Ruger finally sent me a brand new replacement for the problematic sr9c. I sold it NIB the same day it arrived and bought myself a CZ75 P-01 as a replacement. Couldn't be happier. The CZ has had lots of rounds through it with not a single failure of any sort with everything from cheap gunshow reloads, to commercial range rounds like WWB, PMC, Aguila, and defensive rounds such as Winchester +P. Great shooting, great feeling pistol.

I'm a CZ guy now!

G.ninO

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    wow I have heard nothimg but good things about this gun. I was wanting the sr9c or 40 series as one of the guns on my list, to con my wife into buying for me. lol, I would send it back to get replaced.

Armed-in-Carmel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2012
    Bought an sr9c in August.

First trip out had 8 FTFs out of 80 rounds with Remington UMC 115gr FMJ. Put the gun away and shot my Makarov to remember how a trustworthy gun shoots.

Took the sr9c home and lightly polished the feed ramp. The next outing the gun shot better... only 3 FTFs out 100+ rounds of a variety of good range ammo such a WWB, Blazer, etc.

Polished the feed ramp some more (to a bright shine).

Gun functioned well for a few months. Then came the trigger reset issues.

Worked on the trigger to get it loosened up. The trigger reset problems seemed to resolve.

Went to Eagle Creek Pistol Range 3 weeks ago and all of the problems were back. FTFs and trigger reset problems.

One of the range officers at ECPR said he thought the gun might be "dry" and needed better lubrication. Took the gun home and cleaned it thoroughly and oiled it more than I usually would.

Returned to ECPR the following Sunday and encountered the same problems. FTFs and trigger reset hang-ups.

Called Ruger and they were very concerned. They sent me an overnight shipping label for UPS. I shipped the gun to them on a Monday and received it back on Thursday with a note that they had replaced the trigger assembly and "repaired" the barrel. When the gun arrived back from Ruger it had scratches all over the trigger guard from rubbing against the magazines because they didn't wrap the gun properly for shipping.

Emailed them pictures of the damage and they offered their apologies and said they would replace the gun if I wanted. Trying not to be unreasonable, I declined and asked them to send me a couple of mags instead, which they agreed to.

Returned to ECPR today and the FTFs were as bad as ever. 6-7 FTFs in less than 100 rounds until I finally put the gun away and AGAIN, shot my Makarov to remember what shooting a trustworthy pistol is like.

So, in spite of how nice Ruger customer service has been, I have my first Ruger... and my last Ruger.

I hope they respond well to my request for a full refund so I can buy a 9mm EDC that I can trust.

Just an update... Ruger did send me a new SR9c pistol, which I promptly sold NIB. They guy I sold it to reports that it has been trouble-free, so "good on Ruger". I'm glad to know this great American manufacturer does in fact make good firearms and that my experience was an anomaly.

LD36

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Bloomington, IN
    I haven't had a single solitary FtF or FtE from my SR9c. I love it. Shot about 1500 rounds through it since I got. I think your experience is highly unusual. You should take them up on their offer to replace the gun. IMHO.

I agree. I have one too and I have NEVER experienced a single malfunction of any kind. I'd let them replace it and give it one more chance. They really are awesome guns... you might just have a lemon

D.T.O.M.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    martinsville
    Have heard a lot of good things about the SR 9First bad that I have heard!
    Interesting & yea you never hear that of a G 19 or even an XD 9
    And with the rite holster both can be carried & conceld
    Just my opinion

LD36

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Bloomington, IN
    Just an update... Ruger did send me a new SR9c pistol, which I promptly sold NIB. They guy I sold it to reports that it has been trouble-free, so "good on Ruger". I'm glad to know this great American manufacturer does in fact make good firearms and that my experience was an anomaly.

Glad to hear it. Do you regret selling it or do you still have a bad taste in your mouth from the whole ordeal?

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    Only own one Ruger ... SR45 ... after 400+ rounds I have experienced no issues. One FTF that appeared to be a dud round since the striker left it's dimple and the other 99 out of that box worked flawlessly.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Ruger finally sent me a brand new replacement for the problematic sr9c. I sold it NIB the same day it arrived and bought myself a CZ75 P-01 as a replacement. Couldn't be happier. The CZ has had lots of rounds through it with not a single failure of any sort with everything from cheap gunshow reloads, to commercial range rounds like WWB, PMC, Aguila, and defensive rounds such as Winchester +P. Great shooting, great feeling pistol.

I'm a CZ guy now!

Congrats... I sold my SR9c and bought a CZ75b and couldn't be happier.

I still love my 10/22 and 22/45, but for semi-auto centerfire pistols... its pretty much CZ or bust at this point. (1911 being a potential exception)

andski3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Carmel
    Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I have the P90, SR22p, and the SR9c and I have had no problems with any of them. I have put probably 600+ rounds down the pipe of the 9c and the P90 and I have had no issues.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I saw an early run SR9 where the bbl pinged badly on the slide (front of ejection port where the flats make contact. New gun, only a couple of outings. Sent it in and the guy got a new bbl and slide, some Ruger swag. Gun ran fine after that.

Dunno if the slide or bbl or both were inferior in metallurgy.

Eh, first run stuff, expect there to be some glitches.

Outside of the Ruger Mk series of .22's I never have cared for Ruger's autos.

To each his own.

I find a decent 3 screw Superblackhawk and I'll snag it. I kinda like some of their old SA's.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I may get some hate but i think of Ruger and S&W for revolvers. Never found an auto by either that i loved. Just an observation.

No hate here. I agree. The M&P is the first Smith offering that may change this for me, mine has ran well. Ruger, strictly second tier on autopistols as far as I'm concerned,

Top Bottom