• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Facebook page: Gun Owners just posted this and I could not have said it any clearer so i copied their update:

Starbucks recently sent out a request asking people to stop carrying weapons in their stores. This is after they enjoyed all the money from our starbucks appreciation day. We are going to contact them and request they change their policies or inform them that you will not be attending there business establishment until they reverse their policy.

Starbucks' customer number is 800-Starbuc (800-782-7282)...
    If you are going to call please be polite. There is no reason to yell because it will not accomplish anything. Ask them to reverse that policy that tells customers that weapons aren't welcome in their stores, and politely inform them that you will not be giving them any business until they reverse their policy.

Also, call your local store(s) and inform them that you will not be attending their place of business until the policy of requesting that customers not bring weapons in the store is reversed. You can find the number on the store locator. Store Locator | Starbucks Coffee Company

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Facebook page: Gun Owners just posted this and I could not have said it any clearer so i copied their update:

Starbucks recently sent out a request asking people to stop carrying weapons in their stores. This is after they enjoyed all the money from our starbucks appreciation day. We are going to contact them and request they change their policies or inform them that you will not be attending there business establishment until they reverse their policy.

Starbucks' customer number is 800-Starbuc (800-782-7282)...
    If you are going to call please be polite. There is no reason to yell because it will not accomplish anything. Ask them to reverse that policy that tells customers that weapons aren't welcome in their stores, and politely inform them that you will not be giving them any business until they reverse their policy.

Also, call your local store(s) and inform them that you will not be attending their place of business until the policy of requesting that customers not bring weapons in the store is reversed. You can find the number on the store locator. Store Locator | Starbucks Coffee Company

Hear Hear!

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Msg from an SB employee on their FB page:

[h=5]Let me be among the first of your employees to express my concern and frustration over the new firearm policy. As I am currently in charge of the safety of my baristas during my shift, I feel significantly less safe knowing that you have invited all Starbucks locations to become a target by announcing that registered gun owners are not allowed to bring their firearms with them into our stores.

Not only is this a terrible business move, it will also be considered a betrayal by the numbers of gun-owners who showed up to support you during boycotts for the sole reason of your past neutrality and deference to state policy. You have likely turned what were small boycotts into a much bigger and more publicized deal. I as well used to be vocally proud of the company's policy and non-political stance; now that you have chosen to politicize this issue (even though you blame it on "others from both sides who have used us for their own political gain"), I am thoroughly disappointed and more than a little worried.

Additionally, I find your passive-aggressive "Okay, Starbucks says no guns in here, so please don't bring your guns, I mean really guys, seriously, no guns allowed, but we won't enforce it if you do, so just promise you won't, okay?" solution to the problem embarrassing and ineffective at best.

I feel truly let down.[/h]

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    From their website:

Tuesday, September 17, 2013
    Posted by Howard Schultz, Starbucks chairman, president and chief executive officer

Dear Fellow Americans,

Few topics in America generate a more polarized and emotional debate than guns. In recent months, Starbucks stores and our partners (employees) who work in our stores have been thrust unwillingly into the middle of this debate. That’s why I am writing today with a respectful request that customers no longer bring firearms into our stores or outdoor seating areas.

From the beginning, our vision at Starbucks has been to create a “third place” between home and work where people can come together to enjoy the peace and pleasure of coffee and community. Our values have always centered on building community rather than dividing people, and our stores exist to give every customer a safe and comfortable respite from the concerns of daily life.

We appreciate that there is a highly sensitive balance of rights and responsibilities surrounding America’s gun laws, and we recognize the deep passion for and against the “open carry” laws adopted by many states. (In the United States, “open carry” is the term used for openly carrying a firearm in public.) For years we have listened carefully to input from our customers, partners, community leaders and voices on both sides of this complicated, highly charged issue.

Our company’s longstanding approach to “open carry” has been to follow local laws: we permit it in states where allowed and we prohibit it in states where these laws don’t exist. We have chosen this approach because we believe our store partners should not be put in the uncomfortable position of requiring customers to disarm or leave our stores. We believe that gun policy should be addressed by government and law enforcement—not by Starbucks and our store partners.

Recently, however, we’ve seen the “open carry” debate become increasingly uncivil and, in some cases, even threatening. Pro-gun activists have used our stores as a political stage for media events misleadingly called “Starbucks Appreciation Days” that disingenuously portray Starbucks as a champion of “open carry.” To be clear: we do not want these events in our stores. Some anti-gun activists have also played a role in ratcheting up the rhetoric and friction, including soliciting and confronting our customers and partners.

For these reasons, today we are respectfully requesting that customers no longer bring firearms into our stores or outdoor seating areas—even in states where “open carry” is permitted—unless they are authorized law enforcement personnel.

I would like to clarify two points. First, this is a request and not an outright ban. Why? Because we want to give responsible gun owners the chance to respect our request—and also because enforcing a ban would potentially require our partners to confront armed customers, and that is not a role I am comfortable asking Starbucks partners to take on. Second, we know we cannot satisfy everyone. For those who oppose “open carry,” we believe the legislative and policy-making process is the proper arena for this debate, not our stores. For those who champion “open carry,” please respect that Starbucks stores are places where everyone should feel relaxed and comfortable. The presence of a weapon in our stores is unsettling and upsetting for many of our customers.

I am proud of our country and our heritage of civil discourse and debate. It is in this spirit that we make today’s request. Whatever your view, I encourage you to be responsible and respectful of each other as citizens and neighbors.

Sincerely,

Howard Schultz

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Pro-gun activists have used our stores as a political stage for media events misleadingly called “Starbucks Appreciation Days” that disingenuously portray Starbucks as a champion of “open carry.” To be clear: we do not want these events in our stores.

There you go armed coffee drinkers. You are disingenuous in showing your appreciation and the CEO of SB does not want your business.

Somehow I knew the political pressure would be too great.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Liberals will have a hey-day with this victory. SB's pro gun policy has been a thorn in their side all through their anti-gun campaign.

The enemy has been driven out! Now the people can feel safe in knowing that crazed violent gun lovers won't be running rampant in their beloved coffee shop anymore.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    "What do I do if a customer carrying a weapon becomes disruptive?"

Is this a problem? What about the customer who becomes disruptive because another customer happens to be armed, but is sitting and peacefully enjoying his/her coffee? As was pointed out, the antis are the ones who started throwing bricks, so to speak. Seems to me they're the ones who are more disruptive.

Kinda makes me glad I've never been expected to call a small a tall or a large a "venti". Screw that. If I want a large, that's what I'm asking for. Starbucks can perform an aerial copulation with the central orifice of an annular pastry.

Blessings,
    Bill

"What do I do if a customer complains about another customer who is openly carrying?"

Partners should take no action unless either customer becomes disruptive.

Some anti-gun activists have also played a role in ratcheting up the rhetoric and friction, including soliciting and confronting our customers and partners.
    I'm glad this was pointed out in the letter, clearly points out, he doesn't want our "appreciation days" or guns in his stores, but then says the "anti" crowd has not been so nice

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    I don't know why any of you are surprised. Starbucks was never an advocacy organization. They were just following local law without comment, and when both sides made it a point to drag them into the fray they bowed out as gracefully as possible. Read the piece again: They won't ask anyone who behaves themselves to leave or refuse to serve anyone carrying a pistol. In fact, there is no mandated action at all, just a declaration that weapons are unwelcome. The entire point of the memo is to make it clear that Starbucks isn't in the business of taking a position on open carry. Given the way open carry advocates and opponents alike have forced them into the middle of the debate I'm surprised it took so long to make such a statement.

And it's still terrible coffee. :twocents:

There you go armed coffee drinkers. You are disingenuous in showing your appreciation and the CEO of SB does not want your business.

That is not at all what is claimed. It is not accurate to portray Starbucks as an organization that advocates open carry. They never have been that, and dragging their brand into the debate is not the sort of thing that engenders corporate goodwill.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    What's next, we ask minorities not to patronize our businesses, but if they do, we will serve them?

"SB asks that gay patrons not openly display or discuss their orientation, although none will be asked to leave should they choose to ignore our request."

"SB asks that Spanish-speaking customers not talk in any language other than English, although none..."

Yes, these would go over well with the PC crowd I'm sure.

Last edited:

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    What's next, we ask minorities not to patronize our businesses, but if they do, we will serve them?

Yes, because discriminating againsts minorities is just like discriminating against gun owners.

Please don't say that sort of thing in public. You end up alienating people and giving gun owners in general a bad reputation.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    That is not at all what is claimed. It is not accurate to portray Starbucks as an organization that advocates open carry. They never have been that, and dragging their brand into the debate is not the sort of thing that engenders corporate goodwill.

Interpret it however you wish...that's what I did.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    Starbucks asks customers not to bring guns into outlets

Did a search, didn't see it. This is why open carry advocates (not individuals who really feel the need, but "that guy" who straps an ar to his back to prove a point) tick me off.

everything is legal until it is not. Laws can be changed, Had we just left starbucks out of it there wouldnt be this change. Ugh.

BBC News - Starbucks asks customers not to bring guns into outlets

Top Bottom