Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!

Starbucks Dragged Into Gun-Control Crossfire

Thursday , March 04, 2010
    source_wsj.gif

Starbucks Corp. and some other chain stores in the U.S. are finding themselves caught in the middle of a firearms debate, as gun-control advocates go up against a burgeoning campaign by gun owners to carry holstered pistols in public places.
    The "open carry" movement, in which gun owners carry unconcealed handguns as they go about their everyday business, is loosely organized around the country but has been gaining traction in recent months. Gun-control advocates have been pushing to quash the movement, including by petitioning the Starbucks coffee chain to ban guns on its premises.
    Businesses have the final say on their property. But the ones that don't opt to ban guns—such as Starbucks—have become parade grounds of sorts for open-carry advocates.
    Starbucks on Wednesday, while bemoaning being thrust into the debate, defended its long-standing policy of complying with state open-carry weapons laws, in part by stating that its baristas, or "partners," could be harmed if the stores were to ban guns. The chain said that in the 43 states where open carry is legal, it has about 4,970 company-operated stores.
    The company added: "The political, policy and legal debates around these issues belong in the legislatures and courts, not in our stores."
    In 29 states, it's legal to openly carry a loaded handgun, without any form of government permission. Another 13 allow an unconcealed loaded handgun with a carry permit, according to opencarry.org, which is a loosely organized Web forum for the movement.
    In California, where it's legal to carry a gun openly without a license in most places as long as it's unloaded, growing numbers of armed people have been turning up at Starbucks, restaurants, and retailers, with handguns holstered to their belts to protest what they contend are unfair limits on permits to carry a concealed weapon.

Now that people are standing up, others are taken by surprise. We once allowed new gun control without much fuss. Now that we are working to get our rights reinstated they are having a cow. Now is not the time to pause, we must keep the pressure on. :twocents:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Saw this on the news last night, the Brady bunch is having a cow over this, I think they said they had 29000 signatures on their petition. We oughta get an online "Thank You" note to send to Starbucks et al, I bet we could come up with more than 29,000 signatures easily!

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Starbucks owners are exercising their right as business owners to allow people to legally carry firearms in their place of business. Just like Wal-Mart and many other places of business do.

Business owners that do not approve of firearms in their establishment have the right to hang a sign or ask you to leave. They pay the bills and have that right. If you disagree with such policy you're free to make a statement and take your business and spending dollars elsewhere.

While I applaud Starbucks' decision...it will be interesting to see if sales begin to decline for due to their decision to allow firearms in their establishments, what their reaction will be. I don't see Starbucks allowing themselves to go out of business over the issue. They aren't going to take a hit at 4970 stores for very long. I'm sure the weak economy has already cut into their sales...they won't take much loss before they rethink their position if a direct result could be established.

I personally don't see their business declining. I think they will feel some lobbying pressure over it for a few months before the anti's move on to something else...or at least that's what I'm hoping. Perhaps now would be the time to spend a little cash at Starbucks and show our support for their decision. I generally don't do business there...but would be willing to do so for the cause. Because money talks and BS walks. If other businesses see this as a plus for Starbucks financially, they may take notice and rethink their positions.

I will add that if a bunch of people start strapping on their AR's and heading to Starbucks...I see them rethinking their position rather quickly.

Last edited:

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    Visited a Starbucks about a week ago. First time in one, we passed one and turned around to go in. Was CC'ing at the time, but never the less - told the manager that I support any business that supports our rights. A big smile and nod was all that was needed to show and receive appreciation. A few other people were behind me and looked very confused. "Supporting the 2nd amendment" I stated... blank stares from the Sheeple, slight laughter from behind the counter. At $5 a pop, it won't be every day, but I will stop at about every one I pass from now on because of their Support. $5 here and there isn't that expensive compared to one more business/group resisting to support our right to defend ourselves.

:yesway: @ Starbucks - just hope they don't buckle under pressure in a few months

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I am glad to see a large chain business allow people their full rights but I fear they will cave from continued pressure. Also, don't forget they are based in Seattle and a lot of the fighting is out of San Francisco and neither of those are strong second ammendment rights supporting cities.

excursion12

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I like starbucks and was very happy to see their stance on the issue. I sent an email to them encouraging their decision. Please be sure and show them your support, the antis are trying to inundate them with their side, let show them ours as well!

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    As a business owner I can tell you this is a big deal for them to go out of their way and put the effort into this. It is one thing for you or I to stand up as an individual for what we think is right but to undertake something that could adversely effect the success of a business is not the same as risking loosing your job. Nice job Starbucks, they deserve recognition for putting energy into something that is beyond the simple scope of a business model.

T-rav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    I was never a fan of Starbucks and have never been in one, however I am more than willing to donate to a cause that I believe in. Starbucks has GAINED a customer due to their efforts. I think they will find there is better business in us gun crazy people that the "snobs" that are usually stereotyped as the Starbucks customers.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Be sure you send your letters of approval to Starbucks HQ.

Company Information Comments & Questions | Starbucks Coffee Company

My note to them:

I am writing to thank you for not barring legally armed citizens from your stores. I understand the recent ruckus wasn't of your choosing, that you just want to sell your coffee, and I am grateful that you have chosen to continue to allow citizens to continue to patronize your facilities while exercising their rights. I am sorry that anti-gun forces have chosen to put you in their crosshairs.
    To be honest, I've not patronized your stores before. Frankly, I thought $5 for coffee was a bit rich for my blood. I drive to Lafayette, IN once or twice a week, and right past your stores. I'll not be driving past anymore. Instead, I'll be stopping. Your respect for fellow Americans just minding their business has earned MY business. Thank you again.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    My note to them:

AMEN. My feelings exactly. I've never been inside before, but I plan on going this week, more than once. I don't drink coffee, but I'll get hot chocolate, or one of those slushy things.
    I don't get it. How is this different than open carrying at Burger King or McDonalds? I've opened carried in both. Its just because Star Bucks has the balls to say, "people, its ok! Come open carry!" Gives everyone else to b#$ch about.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Im sure Starbucks did not even blink an eye to the 29,000 signatures..... I am sure the Indianapolis stores alone combined serve more customer's then that in one day combined......... now figure in the entire U.S......... I doubt they are worried about loosing 29,000 customer and I am sure most of them will still keep going.......

I laughed when they said 29,000.

I go there every now and then with my wife...... I don't like coffe and get those straberry drinks (more like a slushy).

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    My note to them:

Very nicely put. Would you mind if I plagiarized it a bit?

Im sure Starbucks did not even blink an eye to the 29,000 signatures..... I am sure the Indianapolis stores alone combined serve more customer's then that in one day combined......... now figure in the entire U.S......... I doubt they are worried about loosing 29,000 customer and I am sure most of them will still keep going.......

I laughed when they said 29,000.

Why would you laugh at it? What do they figure, something like 1 letter=100,000 people? Or something like that. I can't remember the exact numbers. But they have a formula for it, regarding how many people each Ph call/email/snail mail equal. Something like a Ph call=1000 Email 10,000 Snail mail 100,000. Look at IN LTCH holders, how many of them write their congressmen? Or the general public at large? How many just complain about the politicians rather than contact them.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Starbucks' reply to my email to them:

Hello,

Thanks for contacting Starbucks Coffee Company.

We recognize that there is significant and genuine passion surrounding the issue of open carry weapons laws. Advocacy groups from both sides of this issue have chosen to use Starbucks as a way to draw attention to their positions.

While we deeply respect the views of all our customers, Starbucks long-standing approach to this issue remains unchanged. We comply with local laws and statutes in all the communities we serve. In this case, 43 of the 50 U.S. states have open carry weapon laws. Where these laws don't exist, we comply with laws that prohibit the open carrying of weapons. The political, policy and legal debates around these issues belong in the legislatures and courts, not in our stores.

At the same time, we have a security protocol for any threatening situation that might occur in our stores. Partners are trained to call law enforcement as situations arise. We will continuously review our procedures to ensure the highest safety guidelines are in place and we will continue to work closely with law enforcement.

We have examined this issue through the lens of partner (employee) and customer safety. Were we to adopt a policy different from local laws allowing open carry, we would be forced to require our partners to ask law abiding customers to leave our stores, putting our partners in an unfair and potentially unsafe position.

As the public debate continues, we are asking all interested parties to refrain from putting Starbucks or our partners into the middle of this divisive issue. As a company, we are extremely sensitive to the issue of gun violence in our society. Our Starbucks family knows all too well the dangers that exist when guns are used irresponsibly and illegally. Without minimizing this unfortunate reality, we believe that supporting local laws is the right way for us to ensure a safe environment for both partners and customers.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your perspective.

Warm Regards,

Alyssa R.
    Customer Relations
    Starbucks Coffee Company
    800 23-LATTE (235-2883)
    Monday through Friday, 5AM to 6PM (PST)

p.s. I would really like to know if this information was helpful; please click hereif you'd be willing to share your thoughts in a brief survey.

----Original Message----
    Sent: Mar 8 2010 1:19PM
    To: Customer Relations
    Subject: corporate social responsibility

Message: I am writing to thank you for not barring legally armed citizens from your stores. I understand the recent ruckus wasn't of your choosing, that you just want to sell your coffee, and I am grateful that you have chosen to continue to allow citizens to continue to patronize your facilities while exercising their rights. I am sorry that anti-gun forces have chosen to put you in their crosshairs. To be honest, I've not patronized your stores before. Frankly, I thought $5 for coffee was a bit rich for my blood. I drive to Lafayette, IN once or twice a week, and right past your stores. I'll not be driving past anymore. Instead, I'll be stopping. Your respect for fellow Americans just minding their business has earned MY business. Thank you again. =================================

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I have to admit I had a low opinion of Starbucks before this all started. Since Starbucks has refused to nuckle under to the Liberal wuss machine I have bought coffee from them. Go Starbucks!

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I support their choice to follow local law, but I am a bit curious as to this line:
    Were we to adopt a policy different from local laws allowing open carry, we would be forced to require our partners to ask law abiding customers to leave our stores, putting our partners in an unfair and potentially unsafe position.

Unsafe? How?

Top Bottom