• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    I've heard of some people having issues with shooting steel case in their rifles. Should I be concerned about shooting steel case out of my handgun?

pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    I don't shoot steel case ammo in any of my guns, handgun or rifles. I don't know if it will hurt them or not (probably not), but I like to save my brass, either to reload or sell.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Fire away, I have ran at least 1500 rounds of steel case through my MP9 without a problem. A little dirtier than domestic brass case, but who cares.

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'm a fan of steel cased ammo.

I'm not a fan of finicky guns that won't run it. IMO, if the gun has issues with steel cased ammo - then the gun is not reliable enough to own.

peberly400

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Warsaw
    A gun should be able to run steel cased ammo just fine. And shooting steel cased ammo will not hurt your gun at all. If it would, its probably not a gun you want.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I've had two higher-end pistols that didn't like steel cased ammo - both of them 9mm.

One was a 1st Gen Walther P99 and the other was a Springfield EMP.

Everything else I've had (That I've tried) didn't mind steel-cased.

If YOUR gun feeds & ejects it....then go for it.

-J-

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Had this same question myself, and answered it just yesterday.

I took my EAA Witness in .45acp out for a little range time. Some time ago I found a deal on a 500 round spam can of Tula ammo so I jumped on it.

I did not know whether my gun would eat it or not, but it was a good deal. I went to Wally World the other day and found a 50rnd box of Tula ammo .45acp on the shelf, so I grabbed on and headed for the range.

I bought the spam can for long-term storage, and didn't really want to open it, especially if my gun didn't like it.

It's all a moot point. My Witness ate the whole box without a hitch. I even managed to knock over a falling plate target(about a 6" long ram) at 100 yards! I couldn't repeat that feat, but I hit one!

I'll be keeping the spam can, and maybe looking for more.

jLr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I shoot steel cased ammo through my AR. Matter of fact, I haven't put one round of brass through it yet. I'm at around 500 rounds.

You can't tell me that anyone can reload brass ammo cheaper than they can buy steel cased. I pay $5/box of 20 rounds.

Pitchfork

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 4, 2012
    South Bend Area
    21189334.jpg

seadoodr.

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    martinsville
    I've run maybe 500rounds of wolf steel case through my sks with no problems at all.I havent tried it in my handguns yet but I'm going to pick up a box and shoot it monday just to see how it does.

LuCKy2212

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Carthage, IN
    Steel case ammo can chip your ejector, quality handgun or not. This isn't something that will happen right away but why push it? I shoot steel through my 44 mag. handi-rifle but it is a single shot so no ejector issues.

powerstrokin

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    Indiana
    The only issue I've noticed thus far with steel cased is in the magazine. I think it was Tula ammo at the time- when filling the mag they seemed to bind up enough that I could put a round in without pushing the others down. A good tap on the mag and they'd free up. Not particularly a big deal, but I just wonder if they would bind up on the way OUT ever. Possibly so, but I haven't noticed that yet.

That was with new magazines and the springs were very strong. Beretta PX4 storm.

I have no problem at all shooting steel cased and will continue to do so because it is cheaper. For EDC I do use brass only though, just in case.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    I shoot steel cased ammo through my AR. Matter of fact, I haven't put one round of brass through it yet. I'm at around 500 rounds.

You can't tell me that anyone can reload brass ammo cheaper than they can buy steel cased. I pay $5/box of 20 rounds.

The issues I've heard about came from people switching back and forth between steel cased and brass (mainly in the AR-15 platform). Apparently they expand differently and can cause problems. And thanks for all the answers, I'll be trying out steel case ammo next time I shoot. :yesway:

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Steel cased ammo is 100% safe to shoot in your firearm.

I run steel cased ammo in all of my firearms, rifle and pistols, and have for decades. I'm a cheap skate.

There are some myths out there that I can bust for you.

Myth: It damages extractors or ejectors.
    This is completely false. The steel used in the case is extremely soft. Soft steel can not damage hardened steel, period. The steel used in cases isn't much harder than brass. Most handguns are designed to have the rim slide up under the extractor has the round feeds, it doesn't snap over it. This is a misconception passed around on the internet like crazy and it's completely untrue.

Myth: Steel ammo is "crap".
    People think that steel = poor quality. That's also untrue. The ammo may seem like it's dirtier than other brands of ammo but that's because steel doesn't seal against the chamber walls like brass does so gas blows past the case back into the action. This carbon normally goes down the barrel, but with steel it comes back into the action. Just clean your gun more frequently. It's not damaging the gun. The powders and other materials used aren't any worse than other brands of range ammo like WWB or Federal Bulk Pack ammo.

Myth: Bi-metal bullets damage your bore.
    Again, totally untrue. A bi-metal bullet has a lead core, a mild steel jacket over the lead then a copper jacket over the steel. The materials used in the construction of a bi-metal bullet are no more damaging to your bore than other bullet designs. It's not going to cause premature wear.

Some Wolf ammo might be loaded a little light, meaning it's not as powerful as other brands of ammo. This is especially true with their .223 ammo. Before buying cases of steel ammo for your firearm, buy a couple of boxes to test first. If it runs, shoot it like crazy. Save yourself some money.

Last edited:

jLr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Steel cased ammo is 100% safe to shoot in your firearm.

I run steel cased ammo in all of my firearms, rifle and pistols, and have for decades. I'm a cheap skate.

There are some myths out there that I can bust for you.

Myth: It damages extractors or ejectors.
    This is completely false. The steel used in the case is extremely soft. Soft steel can not damage hardened steel, period. The steel used in cases isn't much harder than brass. Most handguns are designed to have the rim slide up under the extractor has the round feeds, it doesn't snap over it. This is a misconception passed around on the internet like crazy and it's completely untrue.

Myth: Steel ammo is "crap".
    People think that steel = poor quality. That's also untrue. The ammo may seem like it's dirtier than other brands of ammo but that's because steel doesn't seal against the chamber walls like brass does so gas blows past the case back into the action. This carbon normally goes down the barrel, but with steel it comes back into the action. Just clean your gun more frequently. It's not damaging the gun. The powders and other materials used aren't any worse than other brands of range ammo like WWB or Federal Bulk Pack ammo.

Myth: Bi-metal bullets damage your bore.
    Again, totally untrue. A bi-metal bullet has a lead core, a mild steel jacket over the lead then a copper jacket over the steel. The materials used in the construction of a bi-metal bullet are more more damaging to your bore than other bullet designs. It's not going to cause premature wear.

Some Wolf ammo might be loaded a little light, meaning it's not as powerful as other brands of ammo. This is especially true with their .223 ammo. Before buying cases of steel ammo for your firearm, buy a couple of boxes to test first. If it runs, shoot it like crazy. Save yourself some money.

Thanks! Great breakdown.

Top Bottom