• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    your posts remind me of my nephew with ADD.

I wish I could claim that as an excuse! Unfortunatly, the only "mental" problem I can claim is having 3 crazy wild little girls and one crazy 2 yo boy and a fiancee that drives me nuts 24/7/365!! :D

The long shot? Don't go AK then. Even my PSL is outshot by an AR. I have an AK addiction, looks/fun/reliability/etc., but I would never claim accuracy. If you go that route, with those expectations, you will be very disappointed.

Oh they are accurate and reliable. But they are a bit on the heavy side.

Now, if you want one platform to do a bunch of different things, the AR lends itself well to that. A 16" carbine is good all around. A 9mm lets you shoot cheap and use for home defense if that makes you comfortable (I will stick with .223 myself). A 20"+ lets you plink out to longer ranges, but short of Zombie hunting that will never be a practical skill for civilian use.

I'm considering building an AR, but not one in pistol caliber. I'm thinking probably 5.56 because of the interchangeability between 556 and 223. Also, for the long shot neither an AR or AK gives me that. Which is why I will eventually go with a good Bolt Action. Caliber to be determined. What I will most likely do is Build an AR with some help from my friends... "have a little help from my friends.." hehehe and the down the road get me a good long range gun.

Just for some clarification... I'm buying my Baby Eagle and building an AR for practical purposes. For the most part. But why should I not, we all not, prepare for the absolute worst? We should be constrain our thinking to "practical civilian purposes" and "lawful use"? Those things leave you unprepared for a SERIOUS SHTF type scenario. Chances are, and God willing, we will never see all out war on American soil or have a tyrannical Government try to completely disarm us. We may never see a "Postman", or "Red Dawn", or "Day of the Dead/Land of the Dead". But why should we not prepare ourselves for these types of scenarios? What harm does being prepared do? I am a law abiding citizen, I follow the rules, I would never dream of doing anything to jeapordize my right to own or carry a firearm. But I won't sit idly by while people do what they can to destroy this Great Country. I won't allow my fellow citizens to turn this Country into the Roman Empire.

That is why I will train for the Long Shot. That is why I will study and eventually practice Guerilla Warfare. That is why I'm here. To learn all I can, to meet people who think the same way, and to hopefully learn what I can to teach the uninformed how to save this Country from the people who would destroy it.

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Also, for the long shot neither an AR or AK gives me that. Which is why I will eventually go with a good Bolt Action.

Some ARs are capable of 1/2 MOA accuracy. The AR-15 is the swiss army knife of the semi-auto rifle world. There is very little it can't do. Hell, you can even get a .50 BMG upper for them.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    That is why I will train for the Long Shot. That is why I will study and eventually practice Guerilla Warfare. That is why I'm here. To learn all I can, to meet people who think the same way, and to hopefully learn what I can to teach the uninformed how to save this Country from the people who would destroy it.

I'm not entirely sure you'll find many people here who are willing to admit they study and practice Guerilla Warfare.

I think you're headed in the right direction, though. You used the phrase "I will train." Start small and plan big... Right now it sounds like your budget and your skills won't allow you to be completely prepared for a SHTF scenario. If something like that happens, it won't be in the next few months (God-willing), or even years. Get some basic training in your weapon of choice (firearms, HtH combat, knives, whatever), acquire a decent and reliable weapon for what you've trained in, and start there. Once your budgets, skills, and enthusiasm allow for it, upgrade! But start small.

Crawl, walk, run. :) You might find your priorities change with decent instruction and experience. :)

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    When do you think you will put the Guerilla Warfare into practice?

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Some ARs are capable of 1/2 MOA accuracy. The AR-15 is the swiss army knife of the semi-auto rifle world. There is very little it can't do. Hell, you can even get a .50 BMG upper for them.

When I do build my AR it will be for the all around capability. Not the long shot. That's what the Bolt Action will be for because that's what most are built for.

I'm not entirely sure you'll find many people here who are willing to admit they study and practice Guerilla Warfare.

I think you're headed in the right direction, though. You used the phrase "I will train." Start small and plan big... Right now it sounds like your budget and your skills won't allow you to be completely prepared for a SHTF scenario. If something like that happens, it won't be in the next few months (God-willing), or even years. Get some basic training in your weapon of choice (firearms, HtH combat, knives, whatever), acquire a decent and reliable weapon for what you've trained in, and start there. Once your budgets, skills, and enthusiasm allow for it, upgrade! But start small.

Crawl, walk, run. :) You might find your priorities change with decent instruction and experience. :)

Pami, thanks for your understanding. I have a feeling some people out there will just be like "Oh what an ignorant loser" or whatever. No I'm FAR from prepared for a SHTFS but I am getting there. Oh I will train. I'll get all the training I can. I would like to come and watch the INGO training. Eagle Creek has no problems with it, but as Mike said, it may not be fair to those who paid. Although I wouldn't be getting hands on training, I'd still learn something. SO I'll see you at the Dinner! LOL Either way, I will eventually get training, and God willing, I won't need it anytime soon or ever.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    In the case of a "Red Dawn" Scenario, or any type of scenario where we can no longer depend on our Government to keep us safe.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    *Grabs LART*

Alright Savage.... You asked a question about a specific AK-47 type weapon. Lots of answers to that regard....

Keep it on topic now.

If you want to talk about long range bolt actions, start a Long range bolt action thread.

If you want to talk about the merits of 1 caliber over the other, A) don't open a thread and spend days reading the 9,000,000 internet experts opinions on the internet. or B) open a thread and find 9,000 opinions from internet experts here.

If you want to talk about various AR-15 style rifles, that's fine, but I suggest reading the 5 or 6 threads that are here already before posting any new questions about them.

I really don't want to discuss going to war with our own government with anyone. Especially someone I don't know on the internet.

I don't want to discuss metallurgists and building my own howitzer cannons. Or how to create claymores. There are plenty of other venues for these types of discussions.

That's my $.02

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I understand about keeping it on topic and I'll make sure to watch that in the future. But to fault me because you would rather not talk about certain things is a little wrong. If you would rather not talk about it that's fine. It's not like anyone is forcing someone to talk about anything. So if it's in the break room I don't see the big deal.

I didn't intend to get off topic, it just sorta happened. Like I said, I'll watch that.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I understand about keeping it on topic and I'll make sure to watch that in the future. But to fault me because you would rather not talk about certain things is a little wrong. If you would rather not talk about it that's fine. It's not like anyone is forcing someone to talk about anything. So if it's in the break room I don't see the big deal.

I didn't intend to get off topic, it just sorta happened. Like I said, I'll watch that.

Don't take it personal, just understand there are potential legal implications of things said. There have been cases of public words being used cases that were based on (1) a defendant who spouted off something anti-gov, and (2) owned a ton of weaponry. These cases usually involved a paid informant who egged the defendant into spouting off just loud enough for a jury to say "yeah, he's a kook". So please understand that many vets of the internet and gun community are VERY careful about talking openly about things that could be misconstrued.

As for training, you really should come to an Appleseed, you would love it! It is training for the long shot with emphasis on sling use. The Wabash shoot is in less than two weeks, and there will be more this year. If you need to borrow a rifle, the people putting on the shoot can scrounge up something. I plan to be at Wabash and could bring my STG-2000 if you want to see it. Heck, if you bring ammo, you are welcome to shoot it at the event.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Don't take it personal, just understand there are potential legal implications of things said. There have been cases of public words being used cases that were based on (1) a defendant who spouted off something anti-gov, and (2) owned a ton of weaponry. These cases usually involved a paid informant who egged the defendant into spouting off just loud enough for a jury to say "yeah, he's a kook". So please understand that many vets of the internet and gun community are VERY careful about talking openly about things that could be misconstrued.

As for training, you really should come to an Appleseed, you would love it! It is training for the long shot with emphasis on sling use. The Wabash shoot is in less than two weeks, and there will be more this year. If you need to borrow a rifle, the people putting on the shoot can scrounge up something. I plan to be at Wabash and could bring my STG-2000 if you want to see it. Heck, if you bring ammo, you are welcome to shoot it at the event.

I see your point. Understand I didn't mean to bring harm or concern. Sorry for that.

Appleseed huh? Sounds like fun. Can you show up to watch or do you have to pay to do that too? Either way sounds great! I'd like to shoot one for sure and I think I can get some ammo! LOL Appreciate the heads up. How do you like your STG? Any problems/concerns with it?:thumbsup:

BTW, where can I find info on this event?

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Appleseed huh? Sounds like fun. Can you show up to watch or do you have to pay to do that too? Either way sounds great! I'd like to shoot one for sure and I think I can get some ammo! LOL Appreciate the heads up. How do you like your STG? Any problems/concerns with it?:thumbsup:

BTW, where can I find info on this event?

Check this thread:
    Appleseed Project

There are links in there.

As for watching, there is no function for that to my knowledge since the learning with them is in the doing. If money is an issue, I am sure I could get someone to sponsor you for a day of shooting (a Saturday since that is the day that is important of the two). If you think you can make it to the Saturday of the event (do not know where you live, it is 3 hours away for me - might be closer for you), let me know that you are serious and I will "make it happen" for Saturday.

Only one person to my knowledge has qualified using an Ak variant (I was there) but it can be done. Let me know and I could get the STG's scope at least zero'ed in at least to hit the paper.

Uh, Oh, Now I am getting off track...

rustytheshark

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2008
    I just recently bought the STG-2003, which is the 5.56 model and I like it a lot. It's no m-4 but it'll do the job just fine. I am looking for a bolt action for hunting but as far as an AR, I think its great. Recoil is hardly there and it shoots quite accurately. Groupings are nice and tight and with the smaller round and low recoil it is very easy to make continuous shots in a small area accurately. It did however jam on me today more than once which was frustrating and I'm trying to get to the bottom of it but haven't figured out the issue. Anyone else have this problem in the 5.56 model?

Top Bottom