• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spudgunr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    NWI - Porter County
    As most of us know, or realize to be true, it is much more likely to experience a personal devestation (job loss, loss of family, etc). After that something that affects your area is much more probable than something that affects the entire state or country. And something moderately severe is much more likely than a total collapse.

Given that MANY people have a shotgun in the closet, whether they hunt dove, deer, ducks, geese, turkey, or its just dad's hand-me-down. I have given thought that it would be extremely useful to be able to hand out a couple boxes of buckshot around the community and have a whole COMMUNITY of armed sentinels in the case of a regional issue (large scale power outage or storm or something). Something bad enough that society wont quite be normal, but not so bad that you aren't expected to be at work.

BUT, how much of the community is willing to defend their community to the point of lethal force? A few, but probably not a ton. And, all those hunters with their shotguns probably don't even own a single box of any sort of defense-worthy ammunition, with the exception of the deer hunters. Then, they probably own 10 rounds or so. So I've been thinking it would be good to order 250-500 buckshot, just to hand out 10 or 20 rounds to each shotgun owning household. Again, I wouldn't do this if it was a total collapse, but something where the community will be staying put and should defend themselves.

But, with the thought of how few would be willing to use lethal force, it occured to me tonight that perhaps it would also be wise to stock up on a hundred rounds or so of rubber buckshot. Mabye hand out 20 rounds of the lethal stuff, and 5 or 10 rounds of the rubber buckshot?

Good idea or bad idea? I think the less than lethal would open up a LOT more of the neighborhood to helping STOP any issues before they become major. I think a warning round or three of rubber buckshot and the knowledge that many in the neighborhood are more than willing to pull the trigger would make a hostile group much more likely to re-evaluate their choice of targets. I don't think it would work in a total collapse, but really, how likely is that?

The biggest issue I see is this: If somebody gets trigger happy would you be liable for having provided the ammo / encouraged them to stand their ground and defend their community. Doubly true if they use the lead rounds instead of the LTL rounds. You and I know that you are only justified to pull the trigger on LTL if you are also justified to pull the trigger on buckshot, but does bubba down the street? Thoughts? Ideas?

Ferdo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2013
    Poplar bluff
    No you are not liable for supplying ammo. But you are describing giving ammo to people who have done nothing to prepare. Now you have something they need and you are arming them...

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Once accountability fades (rule of law) you will see neighbor turn against neighbor. Even now most people who claim a higher set of moral values, are the biggest lying hypocrites on earth. So what can one do when you cannot trust anyone on face value or by their current station in life? Hand out guns to your family members, get as far away from mass population and wait for them to kill each other and see who's left to form up with.
    everyone tries to overthink this subject. We have many countries around the world that have shown us what people will do to each other under shtf circumstances. It will be no different here except more people have better toys and weapons.

Last edited:

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I like to think of the Koreans during the L.A. Riots. It really just depends on how strong your sense of community is.

Fact of survival is you need friends. Best to find them before SHTF. Loners are such a soft target. Can't watch your own back...

Last edited:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I like to think of the Koreans during the L.A. Riots. It really just depends on how strong your sense of community is.

Fact of survival is you need friends. Best to find them before SHTF. Loners are such a soft target. Can't watch your own back...
    As long as your friends are prepared and their preps hold or you have enough to supplement them i they don't then yes i agree, that making strong alliances now is better. But anyone will turn into a raging beast when they are hungry and see their family starving.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Most of the people would look at your crazy the loose it sell it or shoot it off at the range... I'd suspect most people who hunt keep some ammo laying around... Even bird shot is something you do t want to be shot with....

Jarhead77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Noblesville
    So 10, 12, 16, 20 gauge? How would you even start ? Seems like you'd be better off storing what you need plus a little extra to barter with than handing it out. JMO. Unfortunate truth...People forget past kindnesses in chaotic times. What they will remember is you're the guy with ammo, he has something I want. You've unfortunately become a possible target.

Spudgunr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    NWI - Porter County
    Again, for the "leave and let them kill themselves" types... we are not talking TEOTWAWKI. A week or two of no power from a storm or something along those lines. Maybe 5 pounds of rice and a few rounds of ammo. Yes, you are arming them. But they are already armed... you are giving them effective ammo. Just LIVING will make you a target if people are desperate. The goose hunter who is hungry is going to be able to get your stuff, 10 rounds of buckshot isn't going to change his ability to do that. But, if his family is fed, and he can defend himself and those around him...

I do think that the point is valid though that you cannot JUST hand out ammo, handing out some rice if needed would probably be a good idea first.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Find the biggest tree at each end of your street, drop it across your street and hand a radio to one family on each end of each tree, that is 4 radios total and extra batteries. Tell them to radio you for help if anyone tries to go around or over the tree. No you really won't be coming to help them but you will get advanced warning if SHTF on your street.

It would be ironic to be shot in the back with your own buckshot.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Again, for the "leave and let them kill themselves" types... we are not talking TEOTWAWKI. A week or two of no power from a storm or something along those lines. Maybe 5 pounds of rice and a few rounds of ammo. Yes, you are arming them. But they are already armed... you are giving them effective ammo. Just LIVING will make you a target if people are desperate. The goose hunter who is hungry is going to be able to get your stuff, 10 rounds of buckshot isn't going to change his ability to do that. But, if his family is fed, and he can defend himself and those around him...

I do think that the point is valid though that you cannot JUST hand out ammo, handing out some rice if needed would probably be a good idea first.
    Yeah I'm not talking teotwawki event either. You think people won't eat each other after two weeks of no utilities? Ha! Sure not in the middle class and up neighborhoods, but in lower income areas they will riot. Case in point look at Katrina!! It can and will happen here and they're gonna be marching to where they can get the food!

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Regimental hood.

I am reasonably sure that at least on my block everyone is pretty well armed and I would imagine also pretty well stocked. For sure the two known drug houses (maybe three) as they are usually pretty obvious. I know that the neighbors on both sides and across the street from me are well armed and stocked as we occasionally compare notes and equipment. So I don't believe I will need to pass anything out when shtf. :)

jbrooks19

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    30   1   1
    Nov 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    In any SHTF scenario, my family and myself will be bugging in and boarding up doors and windows and keeping as stealth as possible! We do not want noticed at all... IMO That is one of the best options....

Last edited:

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    Unless I can make it over to my cabin where I know many like-minded people who would also probably try to get to their nearby cabins in a relatively isolated part of the state, I doubt if I would be giving away or bartering anything to let those who are looking around know that I have enough of anything to be trading it away. You might as well hang a sign up saying that you have plenty of ammo or rice or whatever. If the word gets around that you have enough to trade, there will likely be someone coming to your door to get a better deal than the guy you dealt with before. He and his friends may want what you have for free. Then the dynamics of the situation will very quickly change to one of life or death.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I would not mess with rubber or "LTL" shot.

If you don't intend to kill something, don't shoot it. The rubber shot might still kill them, so I would keep it simple.

I do see the value of having extra ammo for your neighbors, but I would not hold it until some type of disaster. It would be a great investment to offer to take your people shooting now, tell them you'll even provide the ammo.

Invest in your people :yesway:.

Tactical Flannel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    West Central Indiana
    Interesting thoughts. I can see both sides of this discussion.
    Spudgunr, I think one thing to consider in adding ammo to neighbors abilities is do you trust them now and how well do you know them under stress? In my opinion, IF you decide to supply a small amount of ammo to them, make it a trade for a small amount of something not necessarily inconsequential but not a necessity at the moment (IE asprin, toilet paper, fireplace lighters, etc...). Also when the 'trading' is done, let it be know that you've tapped out your supply so as to make them think that you don't have anymore ammo to share. Not letting on how much you actually have left for you and yours. This hopefully would hinder the thought that your a one stop shop.
    But in your scenario I believe two weeks is a longtime to go without grocery shopping for most of society.
    Also the thought of arming neighbors with a mix of less lethal and lethal rounds could be problematic. Even the best trained/practiced of us will have issues under stress with multiple ammo loads, in my opinion.
    Good luck

Stay safe

strong89

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    i was thinkin about this not too lomg ago... actually in my community i have a lot of family, and i was thinking what could be done ina case like this? my line of thinking is to convince your family and friends into small stockpiles (caches) throughout their land.. im fine with bugging out to my woods and sayin the hell with im here, but i have a heart and i will be there for my family and some friends. help people understand that we need to protect what is ours and no matter what is goin on in the world we can make a difference in our community, even if it is tiny... that is all.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Your scenario is neighbors with shotguns and plenty of birdshot or target ammo?

Show them how to make cutshells. Turns common birdshot ammo into lethal SD ammo with a knife. The Side by side near my computer desk is loaded with #6 cutshells at this moment.

Google cutshells. I wouldn't waste any of my money or thoughts on anybody not doing Anything to prepare, but you can show them this trick when they become interested due to events that will wake lots of people up in the future.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Long term, the simple flintlock will outlast just about every other weapon outside of edged steel. At its basics, it is a lock, a stock and a barrel. If you can not get flint, one can make a wick (matchlock) that would fire the weapon (held in the lock). Blackpowder is easy enough to make. And lead is easy to find and make ball out of.

Even a bow is not as good as a basic flintlock.

Remember that modern firearms are hard to maintain under primitive situations. Modern bows as well. Most field made bows will not have the power of a flintlock. With simple blacksmithing one could make replacement parts as well.

Top Bottom