• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    Never been. Do you think thinks will get better there with half the police force being laid off?

With all the dirty cops and politicans there no diff.

Maybe Gov. Christie will send in the State Police. Like what happened in Gary a few years ago. Allthough as bad as Camden is he might need to send in the National Guard to back them up.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    With all the dirty cops and politicans there no diff.

Maybe Gov. Christie will send in the State Police. Like what happened in Gary a few years ago. Allthough as bad as Camden is he might need to send in the National Guard to back them up.

I would disagree. I'm sure these lay offs weren't of the "pick and choose" variety. They most surely started at the "bottom" and worked their way up. The youngest, and most "untainted" officers are the guys leaving the street. The guys who probably entered the profession thinking that they could "make a difference." The guys getting laid off, were probably the best bet for the overall safety of the city. They're gone now, leaving?..... the same guys who built Camden's PD's poor reputation.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I would disagree. I'm sure these lay offs weren't of the "pick and choose" variety. They most surely started at the "bottom" and worked their way up. The youngest, and most "untainted" officers are the guys leaving the street. The guys who probably entered the profession thinking that they could "make a difference." The guys getting laid off, were probably the best bet for the overall safety of the city. They're gone now, leaving?..... the same guys who built Camden's PD's poor reputation.

You can probably thank the union for that.

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Nope. They are being told to not do their jobs. They are told what their jobs are by higher ups. If higher ups would do their part, there would be no need for police to be forced to decide what laws to enforce and what laws to NOT enforce.
    laws are nothing but words on a piece of paper unless you have someone willing to enforce them. and these days it seems we have way to many leos that will enforce anything because da law is da law.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I went to McDonald's today and ordered a Big Mac. I told the guy at the counter that I only wanted to pay $.25 for it because I didn't agree with the price McDonald's was asking for it. He told me that he agreed with me but there was nothing he could do about it. I told him he should quit his job if he didn't agree with everything McDonald's did. He said he had a family to feed and that by and large he thought McDonald's was doing a good job. I told him he was an idiot and should quit anyway, the Government will feed his family after all. I hear unemployment ain't all that bad.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    There's plenty of actual crime to keep police busy without creating busy work for them by legislating every little victimless issue someone wants control over. There's no need to keep criminalizing every aspect of life and every choice people make just to justify bigger budgets and hiring more enforcement agents. If letting people live there lives means making cuts or if making room in the jails and budget means not arresting people for stupid crap just because they might do something else later then so be it, stop arresting people for the stupid crap just because it may prevent something next week. It's really a pretty simple idea that when budget and space constraints become a problem you have to cut back on something. Typical of government employees to think that we can afford anything and everything we wish for just because the government/city/county/state will pay for it. That money comes from US, the NON government worker that actually pays taxes and we can't afford that crapolla right now!

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    How about every single Public Intoxication because we have to teach people lessons instead of letting the kid from a visiting university walk two blocks to his buddy's house?

If someone is in a state of public intoxication, I would be hard press to say the cops should let them go. As soon as the officer leaves and the person dies, you can bet that taxpayers will be writing a check to the kid's family and all. Much better to either call an ambulance for their intoxicated state, or jail them if their actions require such.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I for one spent 180 days in Marion County jail for it. Second time I was ever pulled over for anything in my life.

This happened in 1993 and there are no details missing other than the fact that I was pulled over for a burnt out headlight in the rain.

You're telling us you did 180 days in jail for being arrested where the sole charge was driving while suspended with a prior conviction? That is just very hard to believe. There are details missing from your OP: How high was your bail set? Was there no one that could post bail for you? Did you choose to remain in jail by not allowing others to bail you out, or did you just not have one person, not one, to call and bail you out? This just seems out there considering how lax Marion Co/Indy is, and has been at least since the mid-90s, on those arrested for driving while suspended or operating a motor vehicle having never received a license.

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    This was all tried in Marion Co. several years ago. All it led to was a backlog of warrants when people didn't show up for court. :twocents:

There is a big difference between Hamilton and Marion County. Right now Officers in Marion County don't bother dragging people to jail for 1/3 of the things Hamilton County does.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    You're telling us you did 180 days in jail for being arrested where the sole charge was driving while suspended with a prior conviction? That is just very hard to believe. There are details missing from your OP: How high was your bail set? Was there no one that could post bail for you? Did you choose to remain in jail by not allowing others to bail you out, or did you just not have one person, not one, to call and bail you out? This just seems out there considering how lax Marion Co/Indy is, and has been at least since the mid-90s, on those arrested for driving while suspended or operating a motor vehicle having never received a license.
    I really don't give a flying f**k what you want to believe. I bonded out and went back to court 3 times before being sentenced. NO other charges, NO other record. And if you would even read your own damned post, "mid-90's" My problem occurred EARLY 90's. Judges name David Jester. Shove that in your crack pipe.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I went to McDonald's today and ordered a Big Mac. I told the guy at the counter that I only wanted to pay $.25 for it because I didn't agree with the price McDonald's was asking for it. He told me that he agreed with me but there was nothing he could do about it. I told him he should quit his job if he didn't agree with everything McDonald's did. He said he had a family to feed and that by and large he thought McDonald's was doing a good job. I told him he was an idiot and should quit anyway, the Government will feed his family after all. I hear unemployment ain't all that bad.

This is the worst analogy ever written.

Ramen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    If someone is in a state of public intoxication, I would be hard press to say the cops should let them go. As soon as the officer leaves and the person dies, you can bet that taxpayers will be writing a check to the kid's family and all. Much better to either call an ambulance for their intoxicated state, or jail them if their actions require such.

You can be arrested for "public intoxication" after one drink. You can also be arrested for "public intoxication" while riding as the passenger of a vehicle, even when your DD is completely sober, and was only pulled over for say... a burnt out headlight.

The officer just has to smell alcohol and subjectively determine that you are intoxicated (His or her eyes were bloodshot, he slurred a word).

You can even get arrested for "Public Intoxication" while riding in a cab if the cab was pulled over.

I assume that most officers don't go to the extreme to arrest people for walking home after a couple drinks, or when riding home in their car, so I also assume that they are in favor of changing the law to clarify when a person should be arrested for public intoxication.

That way there is no confusion on the part of the public what is an is not illegal.

It sends a mixed message to the public when alcohol is legal, and can be served at all manner of places, and then after consuming it you can be arrested the moment you start to head home by walking or getting a ride.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    You can be arrested for "public intoxication" after one drink. You can also be arrested for "public intoxication" while riding as the passenger of a vehicle, even when your DD is completely sober, and was only pulled over for say... a burnt out headlight.

The officer just has to smell alcohol and subjectively determine that you are intoxicated (His or her eyes were bloodshot, he slurred a word).

You can even get arrested for "Public Intoxication" while riding in a cab if the cab was pulled over.

I assume that most officers don't go to the extreme to arrest people for walking home after a couple drinks, or when riding home in their car, so I also assume that they are in favor of changing the law to clarify when a person should be arrested for public intoxication.

That way there is no confusion on the part of the public what is an is not illegal.

It sends a mixed message to the public when alcohol is legal, and can be served at all manner of places, and then after consuming it you can be arrested the moment you start to head home by walking or getting a ride.
    I think the red part is only true if the passenger steps OUT of the vehicle into the PUBLIC. I could have been given bad info though.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Never been. Do you think thinks will get better there with half the police force being laid off?

I doubt it would be any worse. I lived across the Delaware from Camden for many years. I remember a police strike in Camden in the '80's, I don't think anyone noticed. About 90% of the population there has felony convictions.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I think the red part is only true if the passenger steps OUT of the vehicle into the PUBLIC. I could have been given bad info though.

Talked to a guy years ago who said he was a passenger in a vehicle that was pulled over. The officer repeatedly ordered him out of the car. He said no, you'll get me for PI. He finally followed the officer's orders and what do you know, he got popped for PI. So if they want a passenger for PI, they just have to order them out of the car.

Top Bottom