• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I realize that your POV is police action, I just want to ask, under what circumstances is it ever legal for an unsworn civilian to hold anyone.

You've shot, he's injured. You're unsure if he's out of the fight or not. It's not only legal but prudent to continue to hold him at gunpoint.

Keep in mind any citizen has arrest authority under Indiana Code in certain circumstances. It made the news last year when the group of bystanders held down the suspect in a knife-point robbery in the Kroger parking lot on the southside of Indianapolis. A home invader who was whacked in the face with a golf club and then held down by the residents until police arrived also comes to mind. In both instances, either intended victims or witnesses held a suspect in both the legal and physical sense and were in no legal jeopardy. Police are certainly in the position to hold or take someone at gunpoint significantly more often, but it does occur with the civilian population as well.

If he turns and runs, a LEO MIGHT get some lee-way over shooting a fleeting armed criminal. You won't.

While certainly not a best practice or even recommended, my experience has been civilians get more leeway locally. One, the media is less interested in you and the court of public opinion doesn't push for you to be tried. Two, regardless of what the law says the prosecutors are more apt to give you the benefit of the doubt when acting under stress. That said, I have personally investigated instances were the only thing that saved the shooter from prosecution was poor marksmanship. If they'd have hit someone, they would have been bought and paid for.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Thanks.

I was thinking of a felony suspect that may just walk away from a citizen and basically dare him to shoot.

My understanding is once he were to turn and flee he is no longer fair game.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Thanks.

I was thinking of a felony suspect that may just walk away from a citizen and basically dare him to shoot.

My understanding is once he were to turn and flee he is no longer fair game.

He may no longer be reasonably considered a threat, but whether he's fair game or not depends on the nature of the dare.

If it was a "double-dog" dare, I'd have little choice but to ventilate him. I think any jury in the land would understand.

;)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Thanks.

That's a potential outcome as well, and I've seen it occur. The important part is knowing when to let them go (almost always) and when to continue to engage (the remainder).

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    RO was negligent too. I'm flabbergasted that he was allowed to continue shooting after endangering others as well as himself. Did I hear "yeah, you're good" or something like that?

It also looked like they created an unsafe situation by having so many people moving in close proximity to each other. Unless the objective was to thin the herd...

I was about to argue with this sentiment. After a second look at the video, I agree that with students at this low level of competence they really need to run one at a time.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    In your opinion, If someone had committed a forcible felony, rape, attempted homicide, armed battery and the perpetrator has been disarmed but not incapacitated, I realize that an officer can shoot at the fleeing felon, but what about a regular citizen.

I do know the DA in my county would attempt to nail me to the wall, but what would happen in the real Indiana.

The red is to indicate the way it was before Ferguson.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    In your opinion, If someone had committed a forcible felony, rape, attempted homicide, armed battery and the perpetrator has been disarmed but not incapacitated, I realize that an officer can shoot at the fleeing felon, but what about a regular citizen.

LE cannot shoot at a fleeing felon simply for being a fleeing felon. https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/471/1/case.html

On the civilian side, I've seen it go both ways. The totality of the situation matters a lot. Shooting at someone who is fleeing is a significant risk, though, even with the friendliest of prosecutors.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    If snub nosed revolvers went off because of hitting a bump I imagine my ankle would be destroyed from all the rounds discharged when I walk and work.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    My wife didn't have cash on her and borrowed $20 from me.

Should I be worried?

Probably not. I've lent more than that amount to folks simply to give them a reason to avoid me

...I don't consider those loans, but investments. ;)

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    When drawing your gun, make sure you are wearing proper clothing and nothing gets in the way. Tuck in your shirt in some cases and when you draw the gun, remember the rules. Even if you are doing a drill and you've got a bad draw, learn to correct yourself on the fly so no harm happens because you will **** up in real life. Always practice

Cree

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2016
    Lafayette
    Jeez, did the instructors not make sure those guys know how to draw their guns?

You are on to a very valid point. So many of these fashionable training camps today take in students who want to learn - which is awesome - and have to sell them something other than another run at the basics. Unfortunately, not everyone in the class is at a point where they can say that they have mastered the basics. Having spent 17-years training police officers to shoot, I can say that everyone wants to run even when some of them have trouble walking. Now, having said all of this, AD and ND's happen. For anyone who has spent some time shooting USPSA or other similar sport, even the best have racked up a DQ from a match from an ND. I have a score sheet at home that has a large "DQ" written on it for having an ND...

Top Bottom