Story Time: The AR15 forward assist is a necessary and important feature and I shall tolerate no further disinformation on this matter

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    IMG_20220312_141539.jpg

The rifle in question, for reference.

Woodland Brutality 2022 was this past weekend at Echo Valley in eastern West Virginia. There were machine guns. There were Blackhawk pilots. There were Viet Cong. There were SG-1 personnel. There were KETTLEBELLS EVERYWHERE. It was awesome.

The gun ran perfectly on Wolf .223 for the entire first day, and the first stage of the second day. Problems began on the next stage, the Humvee stage. Below is a video of another shooter for reference:

Shooter begins seated in the back of the Humvee and engages a rifle target as the Humvee drives away. Shooter then clears and drops the rifle, and engages several steel targets in a drive-by. Finally, shooter reloads the rifle and gets one hit on the steel at much longer range plus making up any missed hits from earlier.

First attempt at this stage, I get a stuck case. The rifle is dirty, and it's been sitting out in direct sunlight getting cooked. I can't mortar it out, so I fetch a cleaning rod and easily tap it out. Charging handle action still feels gritty, but I hose the chamber with oil and go for round two.

On the second attempt I nail the first string of rifle fire, clear the rifle, and just barely clean the pistol targets with my M9. I load the mag for the last rifle shot, and try to run the gritty charging handle at a weird angle. Something immediately feels wrong, and my heart sinks. Will I blow my one and only mulligan?

I roll the rifle on its side and look at the ejection port. The bolt is stopped just 3/8" short of being fully into battery.

I pause. "What if...? Dare I? Am I truly arrogant enough to slap the face of God and Eugene Stoner? Is my need that dire? Yes, send it."

My palm slaps. The bolt jumps into battery. The steel rings. Stage complete, cleaned and under par time.

Strutting back to my squad, I declare "Gentlemen, not only did I clean the stage, but I did so WHILE UTILIZING THE FORWARD ASSIST, which is a necessary and useful feature!"

A chorus of boos and denials. Blaspheming is not tolerated here.

6gckbs.jpg

Ah, but there is PROOF! I have video, courtesy of my squadmate and the only other witness to this holy event. He hands me my phone. On the screen is a message: "Device storage full. You do not have enough storage available to capture media." But, look! A file has saved. Some fragment of video remains. Is there hope? Do I have the proof?

I play the video. There's the first rifle shots, then the drive-by. I load the magazine and awkwardly run the charging handle. I roll the rifle over. The decision registers on my face. I roll the rifle back up, haul my hand back, launch my palm forward, and then-

Video ends. An instant, and I mean an instant before my hand contacts the forward assist.

My credibility is destroyed. My squadmates sigh and roll their eyes in disgust. I understand immediately what has happened: Gun Internet has intervened and tampered with the footage. The hivemind cannot allow evidence of the forward assist's superiority to enter this universe. The Narrative must survive. The WWSDs must flow from Brownells and KE Arms. Everything within the slickside, nothing outside the slickside, nothing against the slickside.

My squadmate and the RSO have since disappeared under suspicious circumstances. The Humvee driver is in hiding. There are no witnesses left, no one to speak the truth alongside me. It's as if the event never happened.

But it did happen. It's okay if nobody will ever believe me. In my heart, I will always know. The forward assist is a necessary and useful feature, especially on a beater Del-Ton build with an out-of-spec charging handle that binds up when it gets dirty.

6gcj62.jpg

Additional shoutout to the One Shepherd guys who were there doing logistics and running a bonus stage with MILES gear. The match ran incredibly well and it was awesome to meet those guys. They're planning to do it at the same place next year and you guys it is 110% worth the experience.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I am a Marine, Marines never got to ride in tidy vehicles for the purpose of deploying rounds down range. When it was time to break the glass and release Hell we pretty much wore out surroundings and smelled much worse.

I am and was a clean gun freak but that was impossible in some surroundings. Use of he forward assist is no myth to me but back in the 70's we didn't have a red card to wave to get a timeout while we cleared our weapon. Those that feel it is not necessary have been picking up crap one turd at a time, it is different than having a whole truckload dumped on you at once.

Even if you don't change your mind at least understand it is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it...

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I am a Marine, Marines never got to ride in tidy vehicles for the purpose of deploying rounds down range. When it was time to break the glass and release Hell we pretty much wore out surroundings and smelled much worse.

I am and was a clean gun freak but that was impossible in some surroundings. Use of he forward assist is no myth to me but back in the 70's we didn't have a red card to wave to get a timeout while we cleared our weapon. Those that feel it is not necessary have been picking up crap one turd at a time, it is different than having a whole truckload dumped on you at once.

Even if you don't change your mind at least understand it is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it...
    Semper Fidelis
    Dormant U.S. Marine here

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    View attachment 200679

The rifle in question, for reference.

Woodland Brutality 2022 was this past weekend at Echo Valley in eastern West Virginia. There were machine guns. There were Blackhawk pilots. There were Viet Cong. There were SG-1 personnel. There were KETTLEBELLS EVERYWHERE. It was awesome.

The gun ran perfectly on Wolf .223 for the entire first day, and the first stage of the second day. Problems began on the next stage, the Humvee stage. Below is a video of another shooter for reference:

Shooter begins seated in the back of the Humvee and engages a rifle target as the Humvee drives away. Shooter then clears and drops the rifle, and engages several steel targets in a drive-by. Finally, shooter reloads the rifle and gets one hit on the steel at much longer range plus making up any missed hits from earlier.

First attempt at this stage, I get a stuck case. The rifle is dirty, and it's been sitting out in direct sunlight getting cooked. I can't mortar it out, so I fetch a cleaning rod and easily tap it out. Charging handle action still feels gritty, but I hose the chamber with oil and go for round two.

On the second attempt I nail the first string of rifle fire, clear the rifle, and just barely clean the pistol targets with my M9. I load the mag for the last rifle shot, and try to run the gritty charging handle at a weird angle. Something immediately feels wrong, and my heart sinks. Will I blow my one and only mulligan?

I roll the rifle on its side and look at the ejection port. The bolt is stopped just 3/8" short of being fully into battery.

I pause. "What if...? Dare I? Am I truly arrogant enough to slap the face of God and Eugene Stoner? Is my need that dire? Yes, send it."

My palm slaps. The bolt jumps into battery. The steel rings. Stage complete, cleaned and under par time.

Strutting back to my squad, I declare "Gentlemen, not only did I clean the stage, but I did so WHILE UTILIZING THE FORWARD ASSIST, which is a necessary and useful feature!"

A chorus of boos and denials. Blaspheming is not tolerated here.

View attachment 200683

Ah, but there is PROOF! I have video, courtesy of my squadmate and the only other witness to this holy event. He hands me my phone. On the screen is a message: "Device storage full. You do not have enough storage available to capture media." But, look! A file has saved. Some fragment of video remains. Is there hope? Do I have the proof?

I play the video. There's the first rifle shots, then the drive-by. I load the magazine and awkwardly run the charging handle. I roll the rifle over. The decision registers on my face. I roll the rifle back up, haul my hand back, launch my palm forward, and then-

Video ends. An instant, and I mean an instant before my hand contacts the forward assist.

My credibility is destroyed. My squadmates sigh and roll their eyes in disgust. I understand immediately what has happened: Gun Internet has intervened and tampered with the footage. The hivemind cannot allow evidence of the forward assist's superiority to enter this universe. The Narrative must survive. The WWSDs must flow from Brownells and KE Arms. Everything within the slickside, nothing outside the slickside, nothing against the slickside.

My squadmate and the RSO have since disappeared under suspicious circumstances. The Humvee driver is in hiding. There are no witnesses left, no one to speak the truth alongside me. It's as if the event never happened.

But it did happen. It's okay if nobody will ever believe me. In my heart, I will always know. The forward assist is a necessary and useful feature, especially on a beater Del-Ton build with an out-of-spec charging handle that binds up when it gets dirty.

View attachment 200684

Additional shoutout to the One Shepherd guys who were there doing logistics and running a bonus stage with MILES gear. The match ran incredibly well and it was awesome to meet those guys. They're planning to do it at the same place next year and you guys it is 110% worth the experience.

It's because you're left handed.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    People actually debate the need of a forward assist on AR rifles?

I personally would not own one without one. Unless it's side charge with reciprocating handle.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Was it wolf steel case....??????
    Haha yeah. It was an act of hubris taking that to a brutality match, but you know I had it on hand and the rifle was zeroed with it and blah blah. I am cheap and lazy. Anyone on the board who has ever seen me shoot has seen a steady diet of the cheapest steel case bull**** ammo puking out the side of my guns. :laugh:

The rifle sat and fried in the sun for a little while, and the stuck case occurred on the first or second shot of that first run. It was very mildly stuck and didn't require any force at all to push out with the cleaning rod. I doused it in oil for the second run, then field cleaned the chamber and upper and lubed again for the Kasarda Drill at the end of the day. Ran fine for that.

Use of the forward assist was only necessary because I short-stroked the charging handle. The charging handle on that gun came out of a Wolf A1 upper, it rides kind of tight even when clean. Maybe it's oversized, maybe it's tolerance stacking. But when it got hot and dirty and I was trying to run it in an awkward position with my left hand, it picked up the round but didn't make it all the way into battery.

Top Bottom