Story Time: The AR15 forward assist is a necessary and important feature and I shall tolerate no further disinformation on this matter

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    This looks like it would be an AWESOME event!
    InRangeTV and SinistralRifleman will have their videos up at some point, but as of now you can search Woodland Brutality 2022 on Youtube and see pretty much every stage.

The culture at these is freaking insane. There was a dude in overalls with Simpsons yellow makeup all over him shooting an M249 with a suppressor that probably cost more than I made last year. A guy in my squad was decked out in some kind of NVA uniform with an SKS. There was a John McLane who shot the whole match barefoot in a wife beater with an MP5. At least one full WWII uniform guy with a Garand. I ran a Pattern 83 chest rig for a discount South African mercenary look. Lots and lots of M81 and Alice gear and carry handles, super 90s vibe at this match. There was a DPM machine gun as a stage gun that we all got to shoot.

It was a blast.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Haha yeah. It was an act of hubris taking that to a brutality match, but you know I had it on hand and the rifle was zeroed with it and blah blah. I am cheap and lazy. Anyone on the board who has ever seen me shoot has seen a steady diet of the cheapest steel case bull**** ammo puking out the side of my guns. :laugh:

The rifle sat and fried in the sun for a little while, and the stuck case occurred on the first or second shot of that first run. It was very mildly stuck and didn't require any force at all to push out with the cleaning rod. I doused it in oil for the second run, then field cleaned the chamber and upper and lubed again for the Kasarda Drill at the end of the day. Ran fine for that.

Use of the forward assist was only necessary because I short-stroked the charging handle. The charging handle on that gun came out of a Wolf A1 upper, it rides kind of tight even when clean. Maybe it's oversized, maybe it's tolerance stacking. But when it got hot and dirty and I was trying to run it in an awkward position with my left hand, it picked up the round but didn't make it all the way into battery.
    And my point is.......I have never needed one even though all my rifles save for 1 had them.
    Because I do not shoot cheap :bs: ammo.

And I will step away giggling to myself and watch the thread morph into pineapple on pizza blah blah blah...:lmfao:

No knock intended but that's why I don't (or did not) run crap ass cheap ammo.

Smoke-em if you got-em.....:)

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    And my point is.......I have never needed one even though all my rifles save for 1 had them.
    Because I do not shoot cheap :bs: ammo.

And I will step away giggling to myself and watch the thread morph into pineapple on pizza blah blah blah...:lmfao:

No knock intended but that's why I don't (or did not) run crap ass cheap ammo.

Smoke-em if you got-em.....:)
    1652757635764.png

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    Thank you for this write up. Gave me some good laughs.

I had a steel Tula case stick in my chamber while I was on the clock. Rifle went down hard and nothing was gonna fix it besides having a clearing rod. Super handy to keep in the range bag! After that I just swore the stuff off. Both my barrels are not cheap and I'm not wanting to shorten the life on them any more than I have to.

Funny how polarizing of a subject forward assists are. Gonna have to throw my hat in the not necessary ring. But that being said both my have it and id rather have it and not need it than otherwise.

Seems to be nice for hunting and loading the rifle quietly tho.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Thank you for this write up. Gave me some good laughs.

I had a steel Tula case stick in my chamber while I was on the clock. Rifle went down hard and nothing was gonna fix it besides having a clearing rod. Super handy to keep in the range bag! After that I just swore the stuff off. Both my barrels are not cheap and I'm not wanting to shorten the life on them any more than I have to.

Funny how polarizing of a subject forward assists are. Gonna have to throw my hat in the not necessary ring. But that being said both my have it and id rather have it and not need it than otherwise.

Seems to be nice for hunting and loading the rifle quietly tho.
    And I rest my case.

I love the AKs don’t have them.
    Good reason for that. But not gonna whack that hornets nest with a stick here :):

Yeah there are a lot of folks that torture their hot rods. Lots of them.
    Cheap crap gas in the cars bikes boats that need good fuel.
    Cheap crap ammo in their nice guns that deserve better. And they do deserve better.
    I could go on. But I get it.
    It’s still just being a cheap ass.

:dunno:

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    As long as you are not in a harsh environment you probably won't need one such as range use only with quality ammunition.
    Book of Eli or combat situation you'll probably wish you had it.

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    Son that looked like a fun stage. Why didn’t I know about this? I want a wwsd still, but the fact they look silly with that thing machined off of them.

Last edited by a moderator:

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    People actually debate the need of a forward assist on AR rifles?

I personally would not own one without one. Unless it's side charge with reciprocating handle.
    Yes, yes, they do. And I'm officially jealous of your fortune to remain unaware of this tedious argument for a significant amount of time.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I think the hate of the forward assist is a fundamental misunderstanding of what it's for, and lack of experience to encounter the situations where it's useful. It isn't for forcing a bad round into the chamber, it's to deal with a sluggish action failing to go into battery reliably.

A dry gun and some carbon fouling can make it a life saver.

Top Bottom