• ...and so much more!
  • GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    OP - Having owned (and still own a few of) the Glocks, XD's, and the M&P's, I prefer the XD safeties and visual / physical checks for the shooter and the aftermarket options for the M&P. Please understand that after carrying a 4" 1911 Springfield Champion for 10 yrs, last summer I transitioned to carrying a striker-fired EDC. Reasons are two fold... 1) Travelling to L'ville and Indy several times a month (and with the growing levels of STUPID in both communities) I decided that capacity was now a concern, and 2) After becoming an Instructor, I wanted to learn more about the firearms my students would be bringing to class, so I could better help them.

I started my striker-fired journey with the Glock 19, but found that it simply didn't fit my hands well and I was consistently jerking the trigger, causing my hits to be low.

My frustration with the XD series was the slick side of the original grips, the lack of aftermarket support for changing the trigger feel and the lack of a bump on the grip safety. These have all been addressed and I like what Springfield has done with the Mod 2, but hope they move it to a full sized (4") frame. If I were to get an XD series, I'd get the original XD and have phylodog stipple it, and consider the aftermarket upgrade of the grip safety.

My frustration with the M&P series include the slick side of the grips, the lack of visual / tactile feedback (such as those on the XD), and the trigger being too gritty with terrible take-up and a lack of feedback for RESET. S&W has worked to address several of the issues with the trigger by introducing the Pro trigger group into the base models, starting in Jan '15. Still, the grips need a stippling job and you have to look down a hole to see if a round is chambered.

With all that being said, because the APEX Forward Set Sear's kit helps the M&P trigger feel more like my 1911 trigger, and because the XD equivalent wasn't available, I am now carrying an M&P.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    OP - Having owned (and still own a few of) the Glocks, XD's, and the M&P's, I prefer the XD safeties and visual / physical checks for the shooter and the aftermarket options for the M&P. Please understand that after carrying a 4" 1911 Springfield Champion for 10 yrs, last summer I transitioned to carrying a striker-fired EDC. Reasons are two fold... 1) Travelling to L'ville and Indy several times a month (and with the growing levels of STUPID in both communities) I decided that capacity was now a concern, and 2) After becoming an Instructor, I wanted to learn more about the firearms my students would be bringing to class, so I could better help them.

I started my striker-fired journey with the Glock 19, but found that it simply didn't fit my hands well and I was consistently jerking the trigger, causing my hits to be low.

My frustration with the XD series was the slick side of the original grips, the lack of aftermarket support for changing the trigger feel and the lack of a bump on the grip safety. These have all been addressed and I like what Springfield has done with the Mod 2, but hope they move it to a full sized (4") frame. If I were to get an XD series, I'd get the original XD and have phylodog stipple it, and consider the aftermarket upgrade of the grip safety.

My frustration with the M&P series include the slick side of the grips, the lack of visual / tactile feedback (such as those on the XD), and the trigger being too gritty with terrible take-up and a lack of feedback for RESET. S&W has worked to address several of the issues with the trigger by introducing the Pro trigger group into the base models, starting in Jan '15. Still, the grips need a stippling job and you have to look down a hole to see if a round is chambered.

With all that being said, because the APEX Forward Set Sear's kit helps the M&P trigger feel more like my 1911 trigger, and because the XD equivalent wasn't available, I am now carrying an M&P.
    I don't have a problem with the grip texture of the M&P Pro. It seems plenty aggressive to me. My support hand sticks to it much better than with my P99. Really, the only thing I don't like about the M&P is that the slide closes when I insert a mag with any gusto.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    To respond to your "original question". Glock or M&P would be my suggestion.. The one that feels best to you on the range. Feeling good at the sales counter and on the range can be an entirely different proposition. With a little work the trigger in either can made superior to ANY factory striker fired pistol. I may get flamed for that last comment but I assure you it's true.

I guess the part about "these four guns" looked purple on some of the screens. Never any shortage of opinions Grasshopper, when you ask specific questions on INGO. :)
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT]
    Certified Glock armorer-M&P armorer & 1911mechanic
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]

Last edited:

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    I don't have a problem with the grip texture of the M&P Pro. It seems plenty aggressive to me. My support hand sticks to it much better than with my P99. Really, the only thing I don't like about the M&P is that the slide closes when I insert a mag with any gusto.

I'm speaking from my experience in the middle of Summer, sweating your _____ off and the exercise of trying to retain the (unloaded) firearm during FoF training. I had much more successful outcomes after the stippling job than before... Just my experience and opinion...

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I've tried hard to heed OPs admonition to stick to only the four guns mentioned, and not post. But enough people are 'Walthering' that I feel I can get away with saying shoot an FNS if you get the chance.

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    M&P series. I have a .45 compact and a 9mm Shield. Both stock. Good shooters.

The new shop in Carmel, Point Blank, has the M&P series at about $20-25 off. The Shield is $374.99. Safety or no safety.

Smith and Wesson is offering 3 FREE MAGAZINES through May 31. (Not including the Shield)

Check it out!

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    I am Springfield all the way. If you can't depress the grip safety on the draw than you shouldn't own a handgun. Much safer when reholstering and done right the chances of glock leg are zero as the grip safety is not depressed on reholstering.

I also feel the XD XDM Models are far more ergonomic than the block.

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I just got back from the range and spent some time with the HK VP9. That handgun should warrant some serious consideration. If you're really wanting to stick within those four options though, go with the XD. All is does is run good.

Marlin7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2012
    North Liberty
    What I have now is a hammer fired SAR K2P. Usually carry OWB. Probably would move the SAR to the home defense roll and carry the striker fired. Also looking for something else to get accessories and parts for.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Oh my a thread asking for opinions and suggestions about Polymer Striker Fired Pistols. I say "Oh My" because this really is the golden age for these types of products. Remember that the gun itself is really one part of the overall system. A person still needs extra magazines, holsters and maybe even aftermarket support for stuff like sights. For that reason alone I would avoid the Steyr. Otherwise I have no experience with the gun other then seeing them. I have owned the other guns mentioned.

Glock - The granddaddy of them all and still what the others are judged against. Need I say more. Glock is still my go to striker fired gun. In fact I carried my trusty old G23 all day yesterday while putting up fence panels. Ergonomics are more Block then Glock and the trigger is usable. But gun is very controllable and they do just what they are supposed to do and that is put bullets where you point them. Aftermarket support is limitless. Of the guns on the OPs list I would choose Glock.

Smith M&P - People new to handguns love picking these things up. They look and feel good. Triggers are yucky, but like Powder mentioned the newer production models cleaned this up quite a bit. If you buy an M&P I would advice buying new. Look for a pistol with the newer barrel and trigger. GNRPowder got one of the newer guns and it a marked improvement over mine. Aftermarket support is good for these guns. Apex triggers in particular have been mentioned several times. For new handgun buyers the M&P is IMO the top choice.

Springfield XD - I admit I shoot these pretty well. I like the older XD service pistols and am very impressed with the newer mod2 subcompact. These guns are blocky and heavy, I think they build them in an old Soviet tank factory. I picked up a newer XDm as a demo gun and nobody would shoot it. Seriously between the heft and the sharp edges on the grip people would simply pick it up and put it down. The young man that works for me asked me to find him a first 9mm pistol with high capacity to go along with his 1911 so I sold it to him. He is great guy and at 6'4" 270 loves the gun, it was a good choice for him. The killer for me with the XD series is the grip safety. I have seen on more them one occasion where a person did not get the grip safety depressed correctly and the gun did not go bang. I am a 1911 guy so grip safeties are not scary to me, it is just the XDs is so small. This gun falls to #3 from the OPs list and #5 on my list.

Walther PPQ - (I know, sue me) I have had a love affair with the Walther P99 for years. A first generation P99 was my first new handgun. The PPQ is fine descendant. The trigger is the best of the striker fired guns and ergonomics are spectacular. My complaints are the gun is tall so bore axis is high, this leads to more flip. Otherwise they are certainly accurate. If I had to pick one of the guns on my list it would be the PPQ. But I am a trigger snob and I like my guns like my women, curvy and German.

H&K VP9 - I shot one for the first time on Saturday and I have to say that I am impressed. I coonfingered this gun for quite a while. It feels like the PPQ so I had no problems getting hits immediately. Overall build quality might be a touch better then the Walther. It has adjustable backstraps and grip side panels. It also comes from the factory with nice metal sights. Aftermarket support has not yet caught up with demand so this model would still fall to the number 4 spot on my list, but otherwise........

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    I prefer Springfields, although the M&P would be my 2nd choice. Personally though I can't stand their hinged triggers. I much prefer the XD/Glock blade style trigger instead.

If you haven't tried one you may want to check out an XDm vs the original XD.

EOD Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Carroll County
    As long as you don't limp wrist your shots, the Bersa BP9CC is has an awesome trigger with a super short, very crisp reset...it will surprise you. If you don't have mongo hands with sausage fingers the hand ergonomics are also very nice and it's a natural pointer so quick shots are really close as well. It's an affordable single stack (8+1), very thin (.94) 9mm, .40 or 380 with every edge rounded, designed not to hang up on clothes It has Glock style trigger safety with mag disconnect.

IMO it's the nicest handgun I've ever shot and most comfortable to carry. Downside is the occasional FTL if limp wristed, mag disconnect and takedown/reassembly takes some skill/practice. If you go +p it will eliminate limp wrist FTL but some don't like +p.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    For me, the grip safety on the XD's was an issue, and potentially a serious one. So, that eliminated that choice.

Ultimately, I went with the Glock. Aftermarket and OEM support and accessories is mind-numbing.

NO regrets.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Just a thought here, but how about taking a close look at the Beretta PX4 Storm?
    Those are intriguing, especially the decocker-only version.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I share the same bias. Not sure if its old school or just old. Like to see the moving parts move. Like the simpler takedown

Top Bottom