• ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I own or have owned all 4 of your mentioned pistols, OP.

I USED to own a minty G17 and a pile of mags.

I USED to own two different Steyr M9-A1 pistols.

And I USED to own a 4" XD Service in 9mm.

I STILL OWN two M&P FS.

I'd take the G17 and that pile of mags back, though, just to have around.

The Steyr pistols: Great guns. What Glock would be if Glock grew up (same designer). Parts, mags, and accessories aren't easy to find and aren't inexpensive when you do. GREAT ergonomics and a very robust platform.

XD: I don't like the feel of recoil in the XD platform. They have very tall slides which leads to a lot of reciprocating mass too far above my hand/wrist to be comfortable. They're also single-action guns with a grip safety. Being SA doesn't bother me as much as having a grip safety does.

My vote: M&P.

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    I own or have owned all 4 of your mentioned pistols, OP.

I USED to own a minty G17 and a pile of mags.

I USED to own two different Steyr M9-A1 pistols.

And I USED to own a 4" XD Service in 9mm.

I STILL OWN two M&P FS.

I'd take the G17 and that pile of mags back, though, just to have around.

The Steyr pistols: Great guns. What Glock would be if Glock grew up (same designer). Parts, mags, and accessories aren't easy to find and aren't inexpensive when you do. GREAT ergonomics and a very robust platform.

XD: I don't like the feel of recoil in the XD platform. They have very tall slides which leads to a lot of reciprocating mass too far above my hand/wrist to be comfortable. They're also single-action guns with a grip safety. Being SA doesn't bother me as much as having a grip safety does.

My vote: M&P.

I'll have to correct you on the Springfield xD being a single action gun. On my xd9 I could see the rear of the striker protrude out the back and it would come back just a hair more on the trigger pull. Single action only releases the sear/hammer/striker. The xD actually cocks the striker a bit before releasing it.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I'll have to correct you on the Springfield xD being a single action gun. On my xd9 I could see the rear of the striker protrude out the back and it would come back just a hair more on the trigger pull. Single action only releases the sear/hammer/striker. The xD actually cocks the striker a bit before releasing it.

I think Springfield refers to the XD as single action. From a gun handling standpoint that is certainly true. Otherwise keep in mind Springfield knows marketing.

Glock is "safe action". Again marketing.

Striker fired guns seem to be a class of their own. Kind of an action and a half. I have pretty much given up on the double vs single action nomenclature for Glocks, M&P and the like. Leave that for the guns with hammers and double strike capability.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I believe that the IDPA considers the XD platform to be "single action" as well.

The trigger on the XD gun only releases the striker, it does not aid in cocking anything at all. That is handled wholly by the reciprocation of the slide.

Ergo, the trigger on the XD only performs a single action - not two. Not 1.5. One.

You seeing the back of the striker move a hair upon pulling the trigger doesn't mean that the trigger is somehow pulling back more on the striker. I suspect that it has to do with the internal safety being moved out of the way in order to release the striker.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I hadn't thought much about striker fired pistols...or even what that meant much other than you don't have a hammer to work with and I wasn't sure I liked that. Then I remembered my first 'modern' pistol, which I like a lot, is a Luger that seems to be a, well, a striker fired pistol...still not shot on anything plastic though.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    M&P (Shield 9mm). Not quit the same as what you are looking for but similar. Very nice little gun. It makes me want it's big brother.
    Glock. I want to like these but none of them feel right in my hand. They all tend to torque my trigger finger downward. I just can't get a good high purchase + make the trigger feel right.
    Steyr. I have two: an M9-A1 & a M40. They are the least muzzle flippy guns I have. Very easy to shoot fast. I use them in steel challenges and do well. I have Big Taco striker kits on both & that makes the trigger even smoother. When I carry a full size pistol it's usually the Steyr.
    XD. I've shot them and really like them The only downside I've seen is a buddy who had a lot of wear on a few internal parts. It was a very early pistol though. Probably high round count.

PPQ. Yep, I have one of these too. I feel the trigger is great but too light for a stressful situation. I've used just about all of these in various classes and the PPQ is the only one that went bang before I wanted it to go bang. Under stress & on the clock I had a couple shots go off a fraction of a second before I wanted. I'm sure training with one gun would help this though.

My pick is Steyr.

Top Bottom