• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    What makes you think that public school bible classes wouldn't be taught from those same "atheist" websites you seem to think we all go to for information? Public schools would not be able to prohibit Atheist teachers from teaching those classes.

Why would it have to be a school teacher. I bet there'd be all kind of volunteers that would step up for that. As long as the syllabus were made avaiable and parents had enough information to make an informed choice as to whether they wanted their kids to participate, I don't see a problem with it as an extracurricular activity.
    ...and I take issue with your characterization of atheist sincerity when it comes to having read various religious texts. Survey after survey shows that American Atheists score higher on religious knowledge tests than do their American Christian counterparts...whatever it is that we are doing is working better than what Christians themselves do.

Perfect people don't go to church. Sinners of all types go. And just like any other group, some will take their work (becoming mature in the faith, in this case) more seriously than others.

I would ask you not to dismiss us out of hand like this. When I say I have read the Bible, I mean it...I have read two different "modern" English translations (cover to cover, really), and attempted to get through the KJV...but I couldn't get past the language and writing style. I have also read the Book of Mormon, and the Qur'an (English, obvs).

For many of us it is the Bible itself that pushes us away from Christianity.

Reading the Bible and understanding what it's trying to teach is tough--on your own. It's easy to pick out verses and their apparent discrepancies and hold them up as proof of christians being hypocrites. That's just rote memory and a reasonably quick intellect. I can't tell you how many passages I've read and thought "what the heck is that supposed to mean? It says 'this' in another book" and have had to seek out help to help resolve those conflicts. I remember the first time I read Job and then when I got to study it a bit with some others--man, was my reading of it way off. Studying in groups helps--A BUNCH.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Thank you for your opinion.

Why do you think taxpayer funded buildings should not be used as gathering places for taxpayer activities? Bible studies are done after hours and can count as a "pre-care" or "after care" for kids needing a place to be for a bit before parents are around. What is the harm in a group providing a safe place with structured activities that are completely voluntary? If it's not the place, you must perceive a negative or harm in doing it. What is it?

just curious, are homes an acceptable place for school?

can Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts meet in a school? Can a school be used for a wedding?

:runaway:
    NYC Mayor's Controversial Move Allows Churches to Use City Schools for Worship After US Supreme Court Rejects Appeal
    :runaway:
    I agree doc, the buildings are OURS THE PEOPLE! Once the governments official business is done for the day or prior to it starting then BIBLE studies or any other peaceful meetings should be allowed.
    In the history of this nation school houses and other buildings have been used as community meeting places for many reasons. Even full church services have taken place in schools, as I have been to at least one that I remember when I was young. I don't know if they rented the facility or if it was donated.

Prayer is a good thing. I have respect for people who are not faith believers. But don't be dicks. People having faith and doing good works of compassion is a good thing and I will always support that. Hell before it's all over I may start going back to church if people keep attacking christians. I will be on their side. i play each political issue by ear. And I believe jn the constitution. Bible studies and prayers are not even a blip on the worry radar!

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I agree with Christopher Hitchens....

(I am paraphrasing)..."The King James Bible should be taught in public schools from 6th grade through 12th grade...That way when they (the students) get to college they will understand where Western Literature and Law come from..." The interviewer said, "But you are an Atheist?" And hitch responded "Yes but I stand by my statement...It is one of the most influential books (to Western Civilization) ever written...Why on earth would you deny a student access to it that plans on attending a Western University...That makes no sense???"

It was on Cspan and the reporter asked about this article Hitch had written for Vanity Fair...Lord I miss that man....God Bless and RIP Hitch....

[h=1]When the King Saved God[/h]
    An unbeliever argues that our language and culture are incomplete without a 400-year-old book—the King James translation of the Bible. Spurned by the Establishment, it really represents a triumph for rebellion and dissent. Accept no substitutes!

When the King Saved God | Vanity Fair

Last edited:
    Top Bottom