'Super Congress': New legislative body was reason for the debt ceiling theatrics

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Whew... the crisis has been averted. Congress overwhelmingly supported raising the debt ceiling and fundamentally changing the way congress works. Did you know that they created a new legislative body in averting this crisis? A committee of legislative overlords who will effectively turn America into a not-so-veiled Oligarchy...

Now 12 appointed Establishment lackeys are going to have consolidated power to control congress. The House Speaker loses his ability to influence bills that come to the House floor. Bills from the 'Super Congress' committee cannot be filibustered or amended in the House or Senate.

Could this be the real reason for the bill in the first place? I'm convinced it is. There are no coincidences in politics. This is going to fundamentally alter the way the legislative branch works, not for the better. Sellout Republicans should have read the abomination that they signed.

You better be paying attention to this!! And why isn't your favorite talk show host mentioning it??

'Super Congress': Debt Ceiling Negotiators Aim To Create New Legislative Body
    This "Super Congress," composed of members of both chambers and both parties, isn't mentioned anywhere in the Constitution, but would be granted extraordinary new powers. Under a plan put forth by Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and his counterpart Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.), legislation to lift the debt ceiling would be accompanied by the creation of a 12-member panel made up of 12 lawmakers -- six from each chamber and six from each party.
    Super Congress Moves Forward Despite Tea Party Opposition
    The Super Congress amounts to an institutionalization of the gang structure that exists informally in the Senate, where a small number of lawmakers write legislation behind closed doors and then announce it to the public. Legislation written by the Super Congress would be extremely difficult for individual members of Congress to stop.
    Statement on the Budget Control Act
    Ron Paul:

Perhaps the most disturbing aspect of this deal is the “Super Congress” provision. This is nothing more than a way to disenfranchise the majority of Congress by denying them the chance for meaningful participation in the crucial areas of entitlement and tax reform. It cedes power to draft legislation to a special commission, hand-picked by the House and Senate leadership. The legislation produced by this commission will be fast-tracked, and Members will not have the opportunity to offer amendments. Approval of the recommendations of the “Super Congress” is tied to yet another debt ceiling increase. This guarantees that Members will face tremendous pressure to vote for whatever comes out of this commission-- even if it includes tax increases. This provision is an excellent way to keep spending decisions out of the reach of members who are not on board with the leadership's agenda.
    Fiscal Conservatives Barred from Supercommittee
    Three Republican Senate sources tell TWS that senators who vote against the deal will be ineligible to serve on the so-called “supercommittee” for deficit reduction that the legislation creates.
    Congress to decide whether Super Congress could impose gun control
    Both houses of Congress will be voting on a debt ceiling bill that establishes a legislative committee with TREMENDOUS powers. Fox News is calling this committee a SUPER CONGRESS, because its legislative proposals (which could include gun control provisions) CANNOT be filibustered or amended in the Senate or House.
    ‎"Is Super Congress constitutional?"
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91QEIenOeY0"]http://www.youtube.com/wat​ch?v=91QEIenOeY0[/ame]

Ron Paul on the Debt Bill
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3n45sgMTuA[/ame]

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    Kind of jumping the gun here aren't you? I haven't read/seen ANYWHERE that this "super congress" has ANY authority over anything other than this debt reduction farce.

Where is it said they will stay on past the end of the year, or the date they are supposed to give their recommendations on how much to raise taxes, er.... cut the deficit?:rolleyes:

Of course all this just tore another hole in the Titanic we call The United States. Now we're sinking twice as fast. IF this plays out like it appears it will, we are truly doomed to be a third world country, and sooner than we thought.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Every agency that was created by congress to just fix a specific problem has managed to stay around forever, and become a sinkhole for tax money.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Every agency that was created by congress to just fix a specific problem has managed to stay around forever, and become a sinkhole for tax money.

And a way to abuse their authority. I have no doubt that Congress yearns to be rid of these annoying gnats we call taxpayers and be able to run the nation in peace. This is but one way to separate the voters from those who hold power over them.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Kind of jumping the gun here aren't you? I haven't read/seen ANYWHERE that this "super congress" has ANY authority over anything other than this debt reduction farce.

Where is it said they will stay on past the end of the year, or the date they are supposed to give their recommendations on how much to raise taxes, er.... cut the deficit?:rolleyes:

Of course all this just tore another hole in the Titanic we call The United States. Now we're sinking twice as fast. IF this plays out like it appears it will, we are truly doomed to be a third world country, and sooner than we thought.
    Actually the bill is fairly clear.It will have more authority than just the budget.In the bill it says "and other matters".I read that as what ever party leadership wants to cram through will go to the super congress to eliminate any debate.:twocents:

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    It's time for a Nation wide vote of no confidence in the leadership.

Somehow, SCOTUS needs to strike this down and charge each and every person who voted "AYE", to include POTUS if he doesn't VETO it, with treason.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Rush for the toilet

Rush Limbaugh finally spent 45 seconds discussing the super committee today. He basically said that Republicans were tricked into supporting it by Liberals... something to do with using it as a way to force Republicans into supporting decreases in "Defense" spending. Right...

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN

There is nothing more permanent than a temporary government program. -- Milton Friedman

Those words are as true today as they have ever been.

BumpShadow

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I'm beginning to think that no matter what, the debt ceiling bill was going to **** off everyone of this forum. If they raised taxes, Fire and Brimstone. If they just cut spend, same thing. If they didn't raise the ceiling, fire and brimstone. Like I said before, on here Government+Doing Anything=Bad News.

In truth, the Tea party won this one. And I for love any bill that pisses off progessives.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I'm beginning to think that no matter what, the debt ceiling bill was going to **** off everyone of this forum. If they raised taxes, Fire and Brimstone. If they just cut spend, same thing. If they didn't raise the ceiling, fire and brimstone. Like I said before, on here Government+Doing Anything=Bad News.

In truth, the Tea party won this one. And I for love any bill that pisses off progessives.
    How do you feel about that unaccountable Super Congress? That was a big blow to the progressives right?

BumpShadow

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    How do you feel about that unaccountable Super Congress? That was a big blow to the progressives right?

We will see what happens. However, this is not a unaccountable panel. It is yet another panel, that Congress can choose to ignore if it wants to. There are many in Congress just like them. The only thing that's different here is the general amendment process has been removed. As with everything in Congress, some bills that come out of this panel we will like, others we won't. Congress is not going to let 12 politicians take away their power.

Last edited:

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    I fear that you are correct and we will be the ones to suffer. Obama is at his lowest approval rating he has been at. The Republicans are trying to force the issue while trying to enhance the party's image. Neither want to lose and both want to save face. Between a rock and a hard place. Just guess who will lose.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    We will see what happens. However, this is not a unaccountable panel. It is yet another panel, that Congress can choose to ignore if it wants to. There are many in Congress just like them. The only thing that's different here is the general amendment process has been removed. As with everything in Congress, some bills that come out of this panel we will like, others we won't. Congress is not going to let 12 politicians take away their power.

If I understand things right, it removes the House Speaker's discretion from bringing bills to the floor and it eliminates the filibuster option. Its a fundamental change from how the legislative branch works.

We can rest assured that the 12 appointees are going to be the most progressive sycophants possible. So we are constantly going to be in this position: Accept this crappy bill, or grandma won't get her SS check. Sorry, no amendments.

I think this is one of the worst things to pass in a long time.

BumpShadow

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    If I understand things right, it removes the House Speaker's discretion from bringing bills to the floor and it eliminates the filibuster option. Its a fundamental change from how the legislative branch works.

We can rest assured that the 12 appointees are going to be the most progressive sycophants possible. So we are constantly going to be in this position: Accept this crappy bill, or grandma won't get her SS check. Sorry, no amendments.

I think this is one of the worst things to pass in a long time.

If I got it right, all that only apply's to the bill they suggest. The speaker cannot refuse to bring their bills to floor, and they cannot be filibustered. It also prevents the bills from being watered down or having secret amendments added by the general assembly. And they can't raise or create new taxes. So far this is a good thing, as it prevents Congress from avoiding the issue.

As to who will be on the panel, this should be interesting. On the one hand there will be a alot of power with this panel. On the other, who ever is on it will be under a microscope. Party leaders from both houses decide who sits on the panel from their party. Its likely the tea party will be represented. Progressives as well.

It may seen like a bad idea now. But I think its the only way to get anything drastic done, as sad as that is.

Top Bottom