Support your LGS: How hard am I supposed to try?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I consider myself a pretty patient dude. I don't ask for a lot and I usually know what I want before I ask.

I wish to buy a small dollar firearm accessory. They are not rare or hard to find, in fact I found them at Joe Bob Outfitters 2 weeks after I first requested they be ordered.

On 1/18 I sent an email to said LGS asking if they can get said items and how much would they cost. Two weeks pass and I'd not received a reply. I was in the area, so I stopped by the shop, was greeted with "hey how ya been". I asked if he'd got my email to which he replied that he gets a ton of emails but oh, here it is. Followed by his employee being instructed to go ahead and put them on order because they're nothing special and not expensive. He did not ask me to pay for them and said he would let me know when they came in. Cool! I thought.

Three weeks pass and still no word. So, on 2/28 I called. Got one of the employees that acknowledged that he knew of the order but hadn't seen it yet. Ok, I said. Let me know, thanks. And here we are 1 month and 3 weeks in and still no word.

If I was wanting a Performance Center 1911, or a Scorpion, or DD upper, I could understand that in today's market it might take a minute. But low dollar, low demand items can't take as long as high demand items. His store is full of firearms and other accessories, so it's not a purchasing capital issue. If more than one online presence has inventory, it is reasonable to believe the distribution channel does too. I know I'm going to spend more through the LGS than online, but that's not the point, right? If buying stuff from the LGS was easier than from my computer chair, this thread would not exist. But geez, how hard does a guy have to work to give someone his money? /rant

Last edited:

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Seems like more and more stores are taking the attitude, look we do not need to be customer service provider. Lately they can get what they are asking for price wise from desperate people so be it.

But eventuality the demand will drop and maybe customers will become valued again.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My friend I stopped even trying to send E-mails as they are ignored. Staff is either overwhelmed/dont care or for the life of me "COVID" which is an excuse I will no longer accept in a Civil manner. I have had this with guns parts/car parts/furniture.....its across the board.

1st the profit from any small specialty they spend time on is no longer important as you have just experienced.

2nd.....just order it your self.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    the profit from any small specialty they spend time on is no longer important as you have just experienced.
    I just wonder where the breakdown occurred. Essentially, they are doing the online ordering part for me by sitting at a computer -- click, click, click - ordered along with any number of other parts from their distributor. Then, when it arrives they check it in, enter it into inventory. Then, they go look for my email and reply to it. Then, they ring me up when I arrive to pick up the order.

So, yeah, there's nothing in it for them. But what Squander and wcd point out should be driving them to do the work for the opportunity to make money on me if and when I decide I want to order that pricey 1911 through them (and any number of other items I may want because they treated me well the last time).

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I just wonder where the breakdown occurred. Essentially, they are doing the online ordering part for me by sitting at a computer -- click, click, click - ordered along with any number of other parts from their distributor. Then, when it arrives they check it in, enter it into inventory. Then, they go look for my email and reply to it. Then, they ring me up when I arrive to pick up the order.

So, yeah, there's nothing in it for them. But what Squander and wcd point out should be driving them to do the work for the opportunity to make money on me if and when I decide I want to order that pricey 1911 through them (and any number of other items I may want because they treated me well the last time).
    Again.....this is being lost in the maze of madness.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    I am very sad that my local gun shop is closing. Been open 33 years with fantastic service and great selection. Probably picked up my last firearm from them yesterday. Owner was talking about how he used to get in fifty-sixty guns a week from distributors. Now he only gets three a week.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I know it's automated, but optics planet had great "customer service " I ordered some stuff to finish a build yesterday. I have gotten several emails with every but of info I would've liked from a lgs.

It's not the same. No personal interaction and time spent catching up and bsing. Such a shame. I will over pay to buy from a lgs, and often don't get what I want unless I see it in hand. I hate online shipping for gun stuff. Shame

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I'm torn on this topic, on one hand I really want to support ALL my local businesses, but (and this not a Covid caused reason) no one has anything, no one can get anything, no one seems to care, and what little you can find is more expensive then buying elsewhere in person or buying on line.
    This applies to more then my LGS .

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    You are doing all this big ask, low dollar stuff in the middle of explosive gun sales and a pandemic. It may not be worth their time.

On the day I turned 18 I walked into a gun store on the westside of Indy to buy an HK93. Cash money, man, I wanted to buy a gun without dad that day and it was on the rack. Easy sale.

I walked into the shop to find that they had broken out into discussion groups about bass fishing. They finally looked at me and advised that selling the HK93 was "highly illegal". I started to protest, but then realized they wanted to talk about bass fishing rather than make money. Drove to Camby and bought it there.

Money is water. If it meets resistance, it will flow somewhere else.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    You are doing all this big ask, low dollar stuff in the middle of explosive gun sales and a pandemic. It may not be worth their time.

On the day I turned 18 I walked into a gun store on the westside of Indy to buy an HK93. Cash money, man, I wanted to buy a gun without dad that day and it was on the rack. Easy sale.

I walked into the shop to find that they had broken out into discussion groups about bass fishing. They finally looked at me and advised that selling the HK93 was "highly illegal". I started to protest, but then realized they wanted to talk about bass fishing rather than make money. Drove to Camby and bought it there.

Money is water. If it meets resistance, it will flow somewhere else.

The problem was you went to Elmore's in the first place.

Top Bottom