Support your LGS: How hard am I supposed to try?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I consider myself a pretty patient dude. I don't ask for a lot and I usually know what I want before I ask.

I wish to buy a small dollar firearm accessory. They are not rare or hard to find, in fact I found them at Joe Bob Outfitters 2 weeks after I first requested they be ordered.

On 1/18 I sent an email to said LGS asking if they can get said items and how much would they cost. Two weeks pass and I'd not received a reply. I was in the area, so I stopped by the shop, was greeted with "hey how ya been". I asked if he'd got my email to which he replied that he gets a ton of emails but oh, here it is. Followed by his employee being instructed to go ahead and put them on order because they're nothing special and not expensive. He did not ask me to pay for them and said he would let me know when they came in. Cool! I thought.

Three weeks pass and still no word. So, on 2/28 I called. Got one of the employees that acknowledged that he knew of the order but hadn't seen it yet. Ok, I said. Let me know, thanks. And here we are 1 month and 3 weeks in and still no word.

If I was wanting a Performance Center 1911, or a Scorpion, or DD upper, I could understand that in today's market it might take a minute. But low dollar, low demand items can't take as long as high demand items. His store is full of firearms and other accessories, so it's not a purchasing capital issue. If more than one online presence has inventory, it is reasonable to believe the distribution channel does too. I know I'm going to spend more through the LGS than online, but that's not the point, right? If buying stuff from the LGS was easier than from my computer chair, this thread would not exist. But geez, how hard does a guy have to work to give someone his money? /rant
    I've never had that problem with my main 3 lgs. If I want something they say yes it will be here Tuesday or Friday usually or they say no can't get it then tell me where to buy it cheapest online. Maybe it's southern Indiana hospitality that the northern part of the state doesn't have?

TheJeff

Plinker
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Jul 7, 2020
    US
    My LGS is the same way. I'm also all for supporting a local business, when they have what I want in stock. If its not in the store when you stop in, you might as well buy it elsewhere. And save yourself a whole lot of frustration because recently their customer service has been zero.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    If something has to be ordered, I'd rather do it myself. I'm all for supporting a local business, when they have what I want in stock. If not, I'll save them and myself trouble and just order it myself and save myself time and money, plus possibly a whole lot of frustration.
    I agree with this. I am primarily an online shopper but if I wanted to check locally, I would go in person. A lot of smaller businesses treat email as a side item to be checked....maybe never. If you are in front of them, hopefully they will at least ask if they can help you. Ask if they have the item. If not, when can they get it? If the answer is acceptable, then have them order it. Otherwise, say thanks and move to online sources.

Another thing to keep in mind, it's not just ammo and firearms that are in short supply. Virtually everything these days is jacked up because of the fact that world logistics is blown up right now.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    I agree with this. I am primarily an online shopper but if I wanted to check locally, I would go in person. A lot of smaller businesses treat email as a side item to be checked....maybe never. If you are in front of them, hopefully they will at least ask if they can help you. Ask if they have the item. If not, when can they get it? If the answer is acceptable, then have them order it. Otherwise, say thanks and move to online sources.

Another thing to keep in mind, it's not just ammo and firearms that are in short supply. Virtually everything these days is jacked up because of the fact that world logistics is blown up right now.

Good attitude and great customer service should never be in short supply and certainly not jacked up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Well I think it is safe to say even with online pricing the way it is the LGS is going to be rolling in high cash if the current administration gets their way.

"Oh no...you can't just pass your guns down to your kids. There has to be a transfer and background check!" LGS owner...."That will be $2,500.00 to get your fathers guns...will that be cash, card, or trade?"

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I've never had that problem with my main 3 lgs. If I want something they say yes it will be here Tuesday or Friday usually or they say no can't get it then tell me where to buy it cheapest online. Maybe it's southern Indiana hospitality that the northern part of the state doesn't have?
    My LGS is the same as you describe above. Oh...and I am in the northern part of the state.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    The 2020 rush has really stoked a total ego blowout on the part of many FFLs. They take the line of people outside the door every morning as an excuse to blow off basic customer service and respect. They don't care if you storm out in a huff, because six other people will shove their way past you, holding fists of cash and screaming to buy anything, everything, whatever they've got, at any price. Half the FFLs in this state already acted like they're god's gift to gun owners.

If it weren't for the fact that our ****** unconstitutional laws *require* that I give an FFL money before I can be allowed the privilege of taking home something I have already paid for, I would never do business with one. They never have what I need in stock, and when they do, it's overpriced and they act like I'm wasting their time by buying it from them. I'm more than happy to buy what I need, get it shipped, and save myself a drive I don't want to make and a hostile interaction I don't want to have.

Here's to hoping for a return to normal in the next couple of years and a wave of closings of FFLs that continue to treat their customers like crap after all their power goes away.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I also have 3 (main) local gun shops.
    2 of the 3 do not charge me for transfers, discount my purchases, and will order anything I ask, as long as they think they can get it.
    Both of these two shops will also call me when a gun comes in that they think I may be interested in buying.
    They know their customers. They are not just a shop keeper, they are friends.

The third of these shops is the largest in town, most well stocked, and has the customer service personality of a can of night crawlers.
    One or two of the counter people have the disposition of a crocodile.
    I have made purchases there, when I couldn't find what I wanted elsewhere, but this shop doesn't even try for my business.
    The feeling is mutual. I don't much care going in there to spend my money either, and I would never bother to ask them to order anything for me.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    I consider myself a pretty patient dude. I don't ask for a lot and I usually know what I want before I ask.

I wish to buy a small dollar firearm accessory. They are not rare or hard to find, in fact I found them at Joe Bob Outfitters 2 weeks after I first requested they be ordered.

On 1/18 I sent an email to said LGS asking if they can get said items and how much would they cost. Two weeks pass and I'd not received a reply. I was in the area, so I stopped by the shop, was greeted with "hey how ya been". I asked if he'd got my email to which he replied that he gets a ton of emails but oh, here it is. Followed by his employee being instructed to go ahead and put them on order because they're nothing special and not expensive. He did not ask me to pay for them and said he would let me know when they came in. Cool! I thought.

Three weeks pass and still no word. So, on 2/28 I called. Got one of the employees that acknowledged that he knew of the order but hadn't seen it yet. Ok, I said. Let me know, thanks. And here we are 1 month and 3 weeks in and still no word.

If I was wanting a Performance Center 1911, or a Scorpion, or DD upper, I could understand that in today's market it might take a minute. But low dollar, low demand items can't take as long as high demand items. His store is full of firearms and other accessories, so it's not a purchasing capital issue. If more than one online presence has inventory, it is reasonable to believe the distribution channel does too. I know I'm going to spend more through the LGS than online, but that's not the point, right? If buying stuff from the LGS was easier than from my computer chair, this thread would not exist. But geez, how hard does a guy have to work to give someone his money? /rant
    I'm not saying that this is the case, but it's possible that they ordered it when they said and it's stuck somewhere in transit (assuming their distributor has even shipped it). I am having trouble getting the most basic things in a timely manner. It currently takes me almost a month to get coffee from BRCC and they have it in stock and ship it within a couple days (and that is technically not even a firearm accessory). If it's being shipped by USPS, it could take MONTHS. I have some distributors running 2 weeks to a month behind on shipping for ANY items (just because the item you are looking for is easy to find, that does not mean that a firearms accessory distributor will get it shipped in a timely manner). I'm just saying that there are plenty of easy to find firearm accessories that I'm having difficulty getting right now.

That said, it could also be that they think they are too busy for something that small to be important.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    All this talk of really late USPS shipments makes me hope that some mags I sent a guy in late January might still make it.

I'm not overly optimistic as the tracking said it was delivered within 4-5 days after I shipped it.

Never know as screwed up the USPS is!

Newbzzz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2021
    Anderson
    Ive been to roughly 10 gun shops in my area. They all have the mindset if they dont have it sorry! Ive tried to get several different things ordered they all basically shrug and move along. So i just order online anymore unless they actually have it. Its sad its come to that!

Top Bottom