SWAT invades innocent man's home - Burns it down with a flashbang - Father killed

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 03mustgt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Well gentleman I think it's great you are responsible gun owners. However I disagree with your opinions and I feel they are out of touch with reality. Hope u have a great day and enjoy your freedoms in this great country.

Keyser Soze

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Indiana law dictates that AF money in excess of the cost of law enforcement goes to the common school fund.. No one is following the law and nearly 100% of AF money stays in the justice system in some form - prosecutors, police and even private attorneys.

Ogden on Politics: Indiana Civil Forfeiture Law - Where is the Money Going?

The Indy Star recently did a multi-part feature on Indiana's AF racket and just who is profiting.

Despite law, schools get little of assets seized from crime suspects | The Indianapolis Star | indystar.com

The Government's License To Steal - Reason Magazine

Ummm yea like I said police departments see a very SMALL way less than 10% of that money. I'm not sure if by posting those articles you were trying to prove otherwise? Might want to consider reading them?

In a forfeiture judgment in February of 2010 involving $325,612 in cash and a 2007 pickup truck valued at $13,825, Gambill was given $113,145.67 in fees. Gabmill was the civil lawyer.....roughly 30% eliminated immediately.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Ummm yea like I said police departments see a very SMALL way less than 10% of that money. I'm not sure if by posting those articles you were trying to prove otherwise? Might want to consider reading them?

In a forfeiture judgment in February of 2010 involving $325,612 in cash and a 2007 pickup truck valued at $13,825, Gambill was given $113,145.67 in fees. Gabmill was the civil lawyer.....roughly 30% eliminated immediately.

You aren't even a good troll. You read the first paragraph of the first article and stopped. You also neglected my comment about the money staying the justice system as opposed to going into the general education fund - like the law says. Whoops.

...Marion County alone, the Department of Public Safety said nearly $1.5 million in criminal assets forfeited through civil court proceedings was deposited in a local law enforcement fund in 2009. The money is split up among the Metro Drug Task Force, the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department, the Marion County prosecutor's office and the Department of Public Safety.

None went to schools.

The solution is simple. Follow the law and quit trying to game the system. Lawmakers, as the Indy Star piece points out, are trying to close these loopholes used by law enforcement to withhold money from children.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    I think the moral to this story is that if you don't cook meth in your house, you really don't have to worry about this happening to you or your family.

My condolences to this methheads innocent family members that had to reap what he sewed along with him.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I think the moral to this story is that if you don't cook meth in your house, you really don't have to worry about this happening to you or your family.

My condolences to this methheads innocent family members that had to reap what he sewed along with him.

maybe this time, but to say that it wont happen even if you obey the law is not true. it has and will continue to happen to innocent people.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    No, the moral of the story is that this can happen to you whether you break the law or not.

Drug Raid on Wrong House--Law Prof. vows to sue

Denver cops barge into home without warrant, beat up innocent family

In both of those links the people actually answered the door.

In both of those cases, they are still alive and at least one of them are suing.

In both of those cases, they weren't high, hiding, didn't have warrants out for their arrest and weren't wanted for questioning to a shooting/stabbing.

Good comparisons.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    Crime has arrived in the suburbs. So has the SWAT Team.

SWAT: SWAT called to Decatur Township home - fox59.com

I've seen hundreds of non-violent offenders turn violent facing going to jail. Don't let that fool you.

Crime has always been in the suburbs. Crime is nothing new, and in recent years crime has decreased....

But SWAT tactics have steadily increased... and are used in more situations than ever.

Waiting until people leave and snagging them will always be safer than kicking doors in - for both the police and the residents.

Abiding by laws will not guarantee your house will not be raided. Why? Because SWAT is used so commonly, with less preparation than ever before.

Should we utilize SWAT for traffic stops? People turn violent on traffic stops too. Maybe every domestic violence call even - hey, they are obviously violent, right? I am sure if I dig I can find examples of both situation where it got ugly.

Hey, while were at it, we should just always deploy SWAT and military tactics in law enforcement. I mean, you never know when someone might turn violent, and the only way to really make sure your using enough force is to always act like someone is going to kill you.

Many of these cases will end in lost civil suits. Why is that? Why will our court system award damages to those raided by SWAT?

Last edited:

radonc73

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Lowell
    In both of those links the people actually answered the door.

In both of those cases, they are still alive and at least one of them are suing.

In both of those cases, they weren't high, hiding, didn't have warrants out for their arrest and weren't wanted for questioning to a shooting/stabbing.

Good comparisons.

Shouldnt this be in purple except for the last line? Just saying, this guy wasn't wanted for questioning for someone he shot/stabbed either.
    Would you feel better if he was passed out drunk?

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    UPDATE: $2.6 million settlement, but still no justice or responsibility taken

Misidentified man killed when SWAT team started his house on fire | Police State USA

While the county has never actually admitted any guilt in killing Roger Serrato — in fact commending their actions — their recent $2.6 million settlement with the family makes a statement in and of itself. Julia Sherwin, co-counsel to the Serrato family, said, “The large settlement represents (their) acknowledgement that the deputies in this case screwed up and they caused the fire that caused the death of Roger Serrato and his death was completely unnecessary.”

And while the family has received a sum of tax-payer dollars, no punishment has been laid upon the offending officers responsible for the homicide. Not only were they not charged with a crime, they were not even fired. “Heroic,” they were called by their boss.

RogelioSerrato4.jpg

RogelioSerrato3.jpg

RogelioSerrato2.jpg

Top Bottom