• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    What about the whole admitted gang banger/past prison time for gun and violent felon status? Should Barney had just assumed he decided to settle down and call him up on the phone before he came over to figure out what time worked best?

OK, someone got convicted of a felony in 1963, got let out 5 years later, kept out of trouble ever since. Does that mean that he needs a SWAT raid if a warrant gets issued today?

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Or I dont know we can just legalize it? Colorado and Washington are just drowning in weed related gang violence let me tell you.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    It seeks like there was tons of theater going on with the "family interview". Evidently the line of fire wasn't actually the line of fire as it appears no one was hit but what was being fired on. Blood on the shoes? What is it with some people and their beloved shoes.

Anyway I would guess there is way more to this than what we have heard so far. It isn't the first no knock warrant that came up empty handed. That doesn't mean there wasn't something there and it got moved out right before the service. Surely that never happens. I doubt anyone is too happy after they get flash banged in the middle of the night. None of this means the warrant or how it was served was overboard.

rw496

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 16, 2011
    Lake County
    I really hate to see dogs get shot. I've done hundreds of entries in terrible neighborhoods with every kind of dog and never had to shoot even one...especially if a flash bang goes off, they usually run like hell and hide. I love dogs...people not so much.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I really hate to see dogs get shot. I've done hundreds of entries in terrible neighborhoods with every kind of dog and never had to shoot even one...especially if a flash bang goes off, they usually run like hell and hide. I love dogs...people not so much.

Understandable. Most dogs are pretty decent creatures and I am willing to bet you have never encountered a four-legged felon.

rw496

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 16, 2011
    Lake County
    News Flash:
    Of course CI's are sh*tbags. Do you think Sally from the local PTO has information about any drug houses?..No! These guys know about dope houses because they are out in the streets hangin' with other sh*tbags. They all hang out together, sharing needles, not stopping by your book club to talk about 50 Shades of Grey

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    News Flash:
    Of course CI's are sh*tbags. Do you think Sally from the local PTO has information about any drug houses?..No! These guys know about dope houses because they are out in the streets hangin' with other sh*tbags. They all hang out together, sharing needles, not stopping by your book club to talk about 50 Shades of Grey

Understanding the nature of CI's isn't the problem so much as the extent to which their word is taken for gold standard. I am happy to hear of situations as is the case in Indianapolis in which little is left to chance on the integrity of such people. I have also seen jurisdictions in which their word is treated as gospel and they are allowed to get away with enough crap that the neighbors figured out why they never get arrested and were approaching the point of taking care of it themselves. In one case this did not happen only because the CI was bad enough that the feds dropped in and ended his little party being done with the tacit approval of the local authorities before something bad happened to him at the hands of his non-criminal neighbors.

That said, understanding that that folks at First Baptist probably don't know much about the criminal underbelly of the community is one thing. Expecting that the word of a CI who has a vested interest in throwing other people under the bus not be taken as truth at face value and acted upon without independent verification is something else. I would be extremely unforgiving if I were to get SWATed courtesy of a CI who doesn't have anyone else to turn in that week and mentally runs down the road until he randomly thinks of someone to nominate.

rw496

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 16, 2011
    Lake County
    You're right about that. I can think of one time where an officer got a search warrant based on the word of a CI who pointed out a stash house. Well, it turns out the CI is a schizophrenic junkie and ...yada, yada, yada....I'm standing in the living room of a 65 year-old man in his whitey-tighties at 3 a.m. surrounded by bicycles. Turns out he is a hoarder...no drugs...lots of old bicylcles...lol. No animals were harmed though.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Understanding the nature of CI's isn't the problem so much as the extent to which their word is taken for gold standard. I am happy to hear of situations as is the case in Indianapolis in which little is left to chance on the integrity of such people. I have also seen jurisdictions in which their word is treated as gospel and they are allowed to get away with enough crap that the neighbors figured out why they never get arrested and were approaching the point of taking care of it themselves. In one case this did not happen only because the CI was bad enough that the feds dropped in and ended his little party being done with the tacit approval of the local authorities before something bad happened to him at the hands of his non-criminal neighbors.

That said, understanding that that folks at First Baptist probably don't know much about the criminal underbelly of the community is one thing. Expecting that the word of a CI who has a vested interest in throwing other people under the bus not be taken as truth at face value and acted upon without independent verification is something else. I would be extremely unforgiving if I were to get SWATed courtesy of a CI who doesn't have anyone else to turn in that week and mentally runs down the road until he randomly thinks of someone to nominate.
    Moses wasn't revered as much.

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    There's a lot more to getting a search warrant through a CI than just his word. Most prosecutors require audio and video surveillance from a CI as proof of a crime occurring before a search warrant is even considered. With technology these days getting audio and video is nothing. You wouldn't believe the small recording devices we have now.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    There's a lot more to getting a search warrant through a CI than just his word. Most prosecutors require audio and video surveillance from a CI as proof of a crime occurring before a search warrant is even considered. With technology these days getting audio and video is nothing. You wouldn't believe the small recording devices we have now.

Good to hear that this is the standard to which you are accustomed. Unfortunately, a lot of us who tend to be skeptical are skeptical based on experience with local officials and law enforcement who are, well, not so conscientious about how they conduct business.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    There are also CI's who make a living out of being a CI. They aren't actual criminals, and it is seriously their "job". You bring in good tips, you get paid. More good tips, more $$$. If a guy has been giving you good leads for years, you can probably trust (but verify) his information. It's not in the intrest of the CI to give bad leads cause that's $$$ our of his pocket. You might get a 2nd chance, but your not getting a 3rd. Not all CI's are flipped crackheads trying to get out of trouble.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    Good to hear that this is the standard to which you are accustomed. Unfortunately, a lot of us who tend to be skeptical are skeptical based on experience with local officials and law enforcement who are, well, not so conscientious about how they conduct business.

Based on actual experience, or stuff posted on the internet?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Based on actual experience, or stuff posted on the internet?

Based on the son of a ***** who used to have a comedy club next to a friend's restaurant who needed a bullet in his head--and the local authorities who let this joker get away with most anything so long as he kept throwing people under the bus. The fun and games continued until the feds rolled him up and the locals couldn't do anything about it.

Next owner got into trouble as well but not nearly so egregious.

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    There are also CI's who make a living out of being a CI. They aren't actual criminals, and it is seriously their "job". You bring in good tips, you get paid. More good tips, more $$$. If a guy has been giving you good leads for years, you can probably trust (but verify) his information. It's not in the intrest of the CI to give bad leads cause that's $$$ our of his pocket. You might get a 2nd chance, but your not getting a 3rd. Not all CI's are flipped crackheads trying to get out of trouble.

The CI's I know of that do it for the money are under the same rules as the ones trying to work off a charge. We still require audio and video from them. I get "tips" daily from people I arrest of criminal activity, but when it comes offering the chance to become a legit CI, 95% want nothing to do with it.

Top Bottom