• ...and so much more!
  • MikeBrennan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2016
    Indiana
    Why do I need .300?

I have an SBR AR, so, .300 would be easy. My question is why?

I have stuck primarily to Nato calibers, for simplicity. I currently stock 9mm in 147, and 115. 5.56 in 55gr and 77gr for the MK 12. .45acp, and .308 match grade stuff for the bolt gun.

What would .300 do that the above calibers wont.

I want to understand.

Talk you into it?

I can't.

It's a novelty; nothing more.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    This post is my best guess for explaining the popularity. It reloads with existing components. I guess my problem is I don't reload.

That changes things. I only went with it because I had just gotten a reloading setup. I had planned on a 5.56 pistol.

I went with all Hornady stuff and got 700 150gr. bullets for free as rebates, so I currently load 300BLK for the cost of a primer and a powder charge. So it actually costs me less than buying .223, (until I run out of the free projectiles), so going to 300BLK was easy for me.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    110's have better external ballistics than 55 gn 5.56. And you get a more powerful round than 5.56. So it's similar to an AK, only with better bullet selection, the ergonomics and ease of configuration of an AR, and the powders are selected to perform out of a short barrel. Ammo is more, however, unless you reload or prices come down.

Then if you want subs, you're only a mag change away.

YoungMilsurpGuy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Crown Point
    dude, .300 blk, just no, if you want to have a hard hitting .30 caliber bullet that works great in an SBR and suppresses decently, the answer has been around since 1943,

7.62x39mm

You get approximately 10-20% greater muzzle velocity at 2-3 times less cost and the platforms are much cheaper then the high end .300blk ARs and are less finicky. I mean you can get a Zastava m92 Npap pistol and SBR it, get a stock and be in it for $700, and if you want a full size rifle, take your pick of AKM platforms and get one of those slick ALG triggers and mount a russian optic like a Rakurs on the slide rail (or a western optic on a RS regulate mount if the Slav is too much)* and you have a nice rifle that will do almost everything your .300 blk AR will do

mis6w.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

*There is no such thing as too much slav.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    The 10-20% number is a bit misleading if you go SBR. Those 7.62 x 39 use slower burning powders to take advantage of longer barrels. It's apples to oranges, but you'll do better with the 300 BLK in an SBR. I want an AK, but if I could only have that or an AR, it's no contest. AR all day, everyday.

Also, the cheap AK ammo, like surplus 5.56, sucks for anything but plinking.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    dude, .300 blk, just no, if you want to have a hard hitting .30 caliber bullet that works great in an SBR and suppresses decently, the answer has been around since 1943,

7.62x39mm

You get approximately 10-20% greater muzzle velocity at 2-3 times less cost and the platforms are much cheaper then the high end .300blk ARs and are less finicky. I mean you can get a Zastava m92 Npap pistol and SBR it, get a stock and be in it for $700, and if you want a full size rifle, take your pick of AKM platforms and get one of those slick ALG triggers and mount a russian optic like a Rakurs on the slide rail (or a western optic on a RS regulate mount if the Slav is too much)* and you have a nice rifle that will do almost everything your .300 blk AR will do

View attachment 52061

View attachment 52062

I've had multiple AK variants from a saiga in x39 to wasrs and I've never punched groups like I can with my 300blk that that I built for less than 500. Reliability and feed hasn't been an issue at all. I'm over 500 supersonic rounds down range.

I've also never thought of an AK as a pleasurable shooting rifle. Reliable, fun, yes but loud jumpy dirty. 300blk in an AR platform is a blast and extremely effective. My deer dropped where he stood with no exit wound. I used a 110grain load and shot him at 55ish yards. The supersonic rounds carry plenty of energy and"knock down power" for most effective ranges in Indiana.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I've had multiple AK variants from a saiga in x39 to wasrs and I've never punched groups like I can with my 300blk that that I built for less than 500. Reliability and feed hasn't been an issue at all. I'm over 500 supersonic rounds down range.

I've also never thought of an AK as a pleasurable shooting rifle. Reliable, fun, yes but loud jumpy dirty. 300blk in an AR platform is a blast and extremely effective. My deer dropped where he stood with no exit wound. I used a 110grain load and shot him at 55ish yards. The supersonic rounds carry plenty of energy and"knock down power" for most effective ranges in Indiana.

What bullet were you using?

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    To add a little of my experience... My rifle would not you through with Hornady ZMAX at all. My favorite two supersonic rounds are the sig and the hog hammers. My rifle shoots the team never quit well but it is not on shelves around me anymore. I've also never put a subsonic round through it. I have a carbine length gas system so I'm not sure it will even cycle the heavy rounds

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    I always find myself thinking about 300blk and then I remember the cost of .308 projectiles and I suddenly snap out of it and realize, I've got guns in 7.62x51 to feed.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city

7.62x39mm

View attachment 52061

View attachment 52062

sounds like you owned a ****ty .300 blackout. I've never had a problem out of multiple .300 blackout AR's but I also don't buy ****ty cheap stuff of anything gun wise.
    im an AK fan but I'd take a .300 blackout suppressed AR over one anyday shooting suns or supers. The .300 is a more
    accurate round than 7.62x39 and balistolcy superior. People smarter than me have proven this. It's gaining popularity not losing it. And ammo prices are falling still. It's just as affordable as decent brass 5.56 which I know KJQ runs in his guns.
    and believe me, I love my AK's and they have their place.
    ive shot 5.56 and 7.62x39 guns in combat. I would not hesitate to take .300 blackout if I ever went back if it was an option. That's the highest endorsement I could give a caliber or gun.

Last edited:

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Just a few of my thoughts on the caliber for whatever its worth, (which probably isn't much ;))

[video=youtube;CjPHFX8qroY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjPHFX8qroY[/video]

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    This thread is going just like all the others.

Get one and don't look back. I probably enjoy my 300blk more than any of my other AR's. I've had zero issues. I can shoot super quiet and have a lot of fun then switch right over to supers and rock some steel. Also deer hunted with it this year and has the best of both worlds. Hearing safe and good supersonic ammo.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I converted an AR I had sitting around. It had a bum barrel from factory. Sent it back on their dime and told them to put a 300blk on it instead. Cost me 80 bucks difference. It's a 16" heavy stainless.

Overall it shoots soft and hits really hard. I have been hand loading 125 grn SST and some 150 grn Gamekings. It is very accurate. I don't intend on any subs or mufflers for the end.

Don't shoot it much due to cost of 30 cal projectiles. Hunting is light years down the road since I have two young kids. Would be glad to see it a new home and consolidate calibers one more time.

Top Bottom