• ...and so much more!
  • KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    This thread is going just like all the others.

Get one and don't look back. I probably enjoy my 300blk more than any of my other AR's. I've had zero issues. I can shoot super quiet and have a lot of fun then switch right over to supers and rock some steel. Also deer hunted with it this year and has the best of both worlds. Hearing safe and good supersonic ammo.

If DNR hadn't mandated a 16" barrel, I'd have bought one just for hunting season. Just took the .308 instead.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Fwiw, I can't think of a really "good" reason for one either. That said, one of the lowers in my safe will likely be a .300 pistol.
    You have that reloading capability already. If I ever decide to start reloading, it would be an easier decision. As the ammo prices continue to fall, I will probably end up with one.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    You have that reloading capability already. If I ever decide to start reloading, it would be an easier decision. As the ammo prices continue to fall, I will probably end up with one.

If you do consider reloading, look into Hornady equipment. They have been running the free bullet rebates for a while now and it really cuts down on the cost per round.

I am reloading my 300 for less than a box of .223 right now. Quicker to recoup the investment. They offer 500 projectiles for a qualifying press kit, and another 100 for die sets.

Factory ammo has come down quite a bit, (even though I've never bought), and I expect that trend to continue as popularity rises.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    I didn't read through the whole deal, but my personally, 300BLK was the reason I started reloading, and I'm glad I did.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    If DNR hadn't mandated a 16" barrel, I'd have bought one just for hunting season. Just took the .308 instead.

I found out about that rule just before deer season, lol. I'm glad I didn't take my SBR on a walk through the woods...

Back to the original... Can go supersonic or subsonic, load to similar ballistics to a 7.62x39 without changing bolt or magazines... And I've heard 7.62x39 magazines for ARs can be finicky (never owned one so ymmv...)

Mine is what I carry when we're just out poking around in the woods, we've had feral dog issues (and soon enough possibly feral hog issues), and I wanted something with a bigger punch and already had my 5.56 SBR lower stamped, so why not?

Only downside is ammo can be hit and miss to find locally until I get enough brass built up to load my own.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I reload, love my .300 BLK, have 2-SBR & they are fun to shoot. Have messed with spring & buffer weights, now both 100% Sub & Super, with bho last round. PMags only, lancer & Troy are problematic.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    I had a stripped upper that had been sitting in the safe for a couple of years that I decided to build up a few months ago. Stopped by the LGS and intended to pick up an Anderson 5.56 barrel for it but all they had was a 16" in .300Blk. I thought, what the heck, lets try it out! built it up and put a nice scope on it and I REALLY like shooting it! As a bonus, my youngest son hasn't been all that excited about shooting the ARs but once he tried that .300, he was hooked (and I have already had to add the caliber to my reload repertoire so I can still pay the mortgage).

Yeah it's limited on effective range and all that, but it's fun to shoot.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    So I can't talk you into it or out of it, I don't know much at all about the caliber. But I'm curious about it...
    Factory ammo, what kind of price are we talking? How much $ per round?
    What kind of range are we talking out of this round? Long distance, 500+ yards or shorter distances?
    I see a lot of people mentioning pistols or SBRs, so is this a more effictive caliber out of shorter barrel lengths?
    Educate me about this caliber please.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    So I can't talk you into it or out of it, I don't know much at all about the caliber. But I'm curious about it...
    What kind of range are we talking out of this round? Long distance, 500+ yards or shorter distances?
    I see a lot of people mentioning pistols or SBRs, so is this a more effictive caliber out of shorter barrel lengths?

Take a look at this vid-

[video=youtube;tgKjbySsAik]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgKjbySsAik[/video]

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In

If you haven't already watched this, it may help answer a few of your questions....

[video=youtube;CjPHFX8qroY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjPHFX8qroY[/video]

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    We know that need has little to do with many of our purchases, but it is a fun cartridge. You can go from AK-47 ballistics to .45 acp muzzle energy with much more penetration and range with the swap of a magazine. It's cool to shoot with 125's suppressed or unsuppressed and 200+ gr subsonic are danged quiet when suppressed. I liked the idea of the .300 whisper but didn't want to get into a wildcat with the issues of dies, chambers, and cases not matching up, so the .300 was great and I jumped on tech bandwagon early on. I've been shooting it for several years and while it will never replace 5.56 in my gunsafe it will always have a place!

View attachment 52115

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Why do I need .300?

I have an SBR AR, so, .300 would be easy. My question is why?

I have stuck primarily to Nato calibers, for simplicity. I currently stock 9mm in 147, and 115. 5.56 in 55gr and 77gr for the MK 12. .45acp, and .308 match grade stuff for the bolt gun.

What would .300 do that the above calibers wont.

I want to understand.

Sound, sound and sound. Or lack there of with a subsonic ammo and a quality can. It's truly ridiculous how quiet it is.

Apart from that, there are a lot good things about the supersonic 300blk but remember that you give up all that awesome silence and might as well just stick to .308 at that point. IMO anyway.

I did some coyote control recently and used .308 instead of .300blk. Why? First my .300 blk is setup with a aimpoint pro so I'd have to change optics if I wanted to make sure I was getting clean kills that would drop in place. Second since I'd have to change optics and run supersonic ammo anyway, what was the point? I had a .308 dedicated for precision shooting, including in low light, already.

As to shooting animals with suppressed .300blk , absolutely you can do it and I have friends who love to hunt hogs that way. For my hunting area I had between 0-250 yards I could be taking shots. Subsonic .300blk drops like a rock at 100 yards and trying to use one of my custom BDC optics (which I would have had to moved anyway) in low light (that don't have full reticle illumination) was a bad idea.

Just because you *can* do something doesn't mean you always should. With that thought process I could have just put a silencer on my 9mm AR and used that... I'm mean you can, so why not? lol As it stood I only had to confirm my 150 yard zero with the silencer and then that night hold POI / POA for anything from 50 yards to 225 yards (+or- 1.25" worst case) with my .308 and the sound would be the same either way. I netted two yotes on two shots, one dropped dead in place when I blew it's heart up the other (my longer shot) made it maybe 10 feet before collapsing and expiring on the spot, looking at the carcass I have no idea how it made it 10 feet, it's entire chest cavity, heart and lungs were destroyed.

All that said, if I didn't already have great .308 rifles and I was looking to get into the game so to speak I'd be running 5.56 and .300blk and then pick up 6.5 Creedmoor instead of .308 most likely.

I don't think you need it but it certainly sounds like you want it ;)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom