• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bstoner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Im looking to build a target AR as well. I was looking at the Yankee Hill Machine 7.62 uppers but maybe I should piece one together with better parts! Thanks for all the info.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    The Timney is 4# but I'm not sure what the AR-Gold is, I think its about the same.

Trigger pull weight is only PART of the issue that makes a good trigger. If your goal is to only get the lightest trigger pull then you will be missing the point (and the target). It makes up for a lot of sins in the trigger, and it is important to a point, but its not the Holy Grail.

Take up, crispness of break, over travel and reset also play into the equation of what makes a good trigger. One of the things that AR-Gold did with their trigger system was they totally redesigned the fire control mechanism of the AR-15. All the other triggers, whether they are Timney, Jewell, Gissel, JP or any other brands basically used the existing AR15 mechanism, modernized or tuned it, but none of them reinvented it so all have somewhat similar characteristics which the AR-Gold does not have. Its easier to try them side-by-side than to explain it.

Ah Ok, noted! Thanks for the info

mrfjones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Chico
    Im looking to build a target AR as well. I was looking at the Yankee Hill Machine 7.62 uppers but maybe I should piece one together with better parts! Thanks for all the info.

That's next for me but I haven't even started looking. One thing at a time.

bstoner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Im no where near a great shooter and I hate to spend top dollar on a rifle I cant even come close to using its potential but I have a sickness with trying to build the best I possibly can and it always costs me more money ugh!

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    How big of a factor is the upper and BCG in a target AR? I'm looking to build a versatile 3-gun type AR, but I'm a lefty. If I go with a lefty upper and bcg, I'm pretty much limited to Stag or Stag (in my price range).

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    How big of a factor is the upper and BCG in a target AR? I'm looking to build a versatile 3-gun type AR, but I'm a lefty. If I go with a lefty upper and bcg, I'm pretty much limited to Stag or Stag (in my price range).

Upper is actually of fairly little importance so long as it is all trued up. BCG is of modest importance for accuracy but higher quality (coated with some of the high tech finishes) may yield greater reliability. Buy the best you can afford but don't expect dramatic results by going from a low to a high priced BCG or upper. I believe the barrel and trigger are the 2 most influential factors and that is where you should spend your money.

Think of it this way, a fancy buttstock is nice, but if you can't afford it a standard military fixed stock will do. A really expensive free float tube is nice, but imparts no more aid to accuracy than a low priced free float tube.

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Upper is actually of fairly little importance so long as it is all trued up. BCG is of modest importance for accuracy but higher quality (coated with some of the high tech finishes) may yield greater reliability. Buy the best you can afford but don't expect dramatic results by going from a low to a high priced BCG or upper. I believe the barrel and trigger are the 2 most influential factors and that is where you should spend your money.

Think of it this way, a fancy buttstock is nice, but if you can't afford it a standard military fixed stock will do. A really expensive free float tube is nice, but imparts no more aid to accuracy than a low priced free float tube.

Sounds good, thanks! I really would like to stick to a lefty upper if I can. Keeps people at the range on their toes (with brass flying the wrong way).

I think I'm going to go with a 16" or 18" WOA barrel. Not sure about the tigger yet, but the AR-Gold does sound compelling. Actually, I might just end up buying the new Stag 3GL, since it is very similar to what I want to build anyway.

Top Bottom