• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It's noteworthy that most people who preach about biomechanics seem to understand very little about the subject.

I also note that he was using a Beretta 92 (or clone) for his demonstrations. Why not use the "LAPD Claw" method, which uses the first two fingers of the support hand hooked under both sides of the safety to retract the slide? It works well and is also ensures that you don't inadvertently push the safety "on" (downward) when you rack the slide. It works well for 3rd Gen S&W autoloaders too.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    It's noteworthy that most people who preach about biomechanics seem to understand very little about the subject.

I also note that he was using a Beretta 92 (or clone) for his demonstrations. Why not use the "LAPD Claw" method, which uses the first two fingers of the support hand hooked under both sides of the safety to retract the slide? It works well and is also ensures that you don't inadvertently push the safety "on" (downward) when you rack the slide. It works well for 3rd Gen S&W autoloaders too.

Exactly one of the methods the USAF use to teach with the M9 as well as rack it forward of the chamber too. There is a learning curve but does work well.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Exactly one of the methods the USAF use to teach with the M9 as well as rack it forward of the chamber too. There is a learning curve but does work well.

Indeed! If you're only going to shoot that type of gun, it works great. Grip strength is pretty much a non-issue.

When I first started shooting USPSA, I learned to rack the slide from the front under the dust cover on my Para and then 1911. I learned it from Darrell, who always did it that way even with his .38 super race gun (his didn't have a slight racker). You have to have good grip strength with an 18# recoil spring. It's trivially easy with my 9mm 1911s with their wimpy springs.

I also learned to do it in front of the ejection port by pinching the slide just forward of the port in the web of my hand. It keeps your hand away from both the muzzle and the port, but it's tough if the slide is slippery (like a 1911 with an NP3 coating).

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I shot in a GSSF match today. Just doing normal reloads between stages, I found myself using the overhand method. During a IDPA match awhile back, during speed reloads, l found myself using the slide release. I have also used the slingshot method at the range. I say use whatever works best for you. I use all three methods with good results.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    It's impossible to take anything seriously from an avid shooter (Yankee Marshal) who cheerfully votes for anti-gun politicians, but I've never found anything natural about the overhand technique, unless having to chamber in an unusual position (the posted Colion Noir photo) or if (as others mentioned) it would help someone with poor hand strength or an injury/arthritis.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    The first (and only) time I ever watched a YM video I got maybe a minute in before I went elsewhere. He's fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Hi all.

I say to try all sorts of ways to get it dun. Use the one that works best for you. Looking at the over hand style you have to have your hand in front of the ejection port or you are going to block the round if you cover it up.

If you look at the sling shot style you only have a finger and a thumb on the slide making the two having to hold the slide and rack it back with only about a half inch of contact surface.

With the over the top style your off hand is in front of the ejection port you have four fingers on that side and the palm and thumb on the other side. Your trigger hand on the grip and push it to chamber or eject or clear the gun. That is around 4 to 5 times as much purchase on the gun.

I have had a lot of people at my range to shoot and I have over the years helped them learn to use the gun they had using different ways till they found one that worked the best for them. I know one guy that uses three fingers over the back of the slide and palm on the other side to work the slide. That is what works the best for him.

I stand buy that there is no wrong or right way to do it. Just what works for you. The reason that the groves are cut in the front of a slide is for the over hand style of use.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Looking at the over hand style you have to have your hand in front of the ejection port or you are going to block the round if you cover it up.

Not unless you've got large hands. I keep everything behind the ejection port, large frames see all four fingers on the slide, fewer on smaller guns.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Not unless you've got large hands. I keep everything behind the ejection port, large frames see all four fingers on the slide, fewer on smaller guns.

Yep, if someone's hand is covering or in front of the ejection port, they're doing it wrong. That's how people get "forty hand."

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Looking at the over hand style you have to have your hand in front of the ejection port or you are going to block the round if you cover it up.

What we taught in the USAF with the M9 was to cup the hand while working the slide. That did two things.

#1 with the hand at or forward of the chamber you would not manipulate the safety/decocker to safe (USAF we carried the M9 with a round chambered and weapon on fire)

#2 it helped with having the hands cupped I. With a malfunction there was room for any rounds to be ejected. Also was convenient when down loading our loaded weapon for turn in at the clearing barrel catching the round. (Much more stable than the ones that work the slide real quick throwing the rounds in the air and catching it, as seen on many IPSC stages, never mine the muzzle going all over but hey they think it is impressive more power to them JMHO)

While that was specific to the M9 platform could be used on a Glock, M&P or whatever.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Phylodog I think we are saying the same thing. I am talking about holding your fingers over the top of the slide and from the end of the barrel to just short of the ejection port. Then resting the palm on the other side of the barrel along with the thumb. Now you may call that wrong and I really don't care because it works and as I said above what ever works is what is important. Not what someone on the net thinks is the way it has to be dun.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Phylodog I think we are saying the same thing. I am talking about holding your fingers over the top of the slide and from the end of the barrel to just short of the ejection port. Then resting the palm on the other side of the barrel along with the thumb. Now you may call that wrong and I really don't care because it works and as I said above what ever works is what is important. Not what someone on the net thinks is the way it has to be dun.

I didn't say doing it any particular way was wrong but my entire support hand remains behind the ejection port when I'm locking the gun open, clearing a malfunction or releasing the slide during a reload.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Phylodog I understand. You are doing the same thing from the other side of the ejection port. I can't get that to work, my hand is to big to do that to the Glock 21 or the 1911. Also my palm hits the safety on the 1911. We all have to do what works best for us. Sorry about saying you said I did it wrong. It was Rhino that said it was wrong.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Phylodog I understand. You are doing the same thing from the other side of the ejection port. I can't get that to work, my hand is to big to do that to the Glock 21 or the 1911. Also my palm hits the safety on the 1911. We all have to do what works best for us. Sorry about saying you said I did it wrong. It was Rhino that said it was wrong.

And if you're actually covering the ejection port with your hand when you rack the slide, it is wrong. Round can and have ignited when racking the slide when the primer hits the ejector. It's more common with .40S&W due to geometry, but it can happen with any caliber. I was present when it happened to a buddy during unload and show clear at USPSA match. I know a few other people who have shown me the results (i.e. the injuries to their hand). I've seen photos of the injuries to still more people. It's common enough in action shooting sports that it has a name: "Forty Hand."

My original post was poorly worded. If your hand is completely in front of the ejection port and not covering it, that's okay. I was thinking something other than what I typed. For that and the miscommunication, I apologize.

Rhino's a jerk. He's not welcome in my safe space.

You are correct on both counts!

I'm the Kanye West of pachyderms!

geezer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2016
    NE Indiana
    I say whatever works the best for you, the individual shooter, keeping in mind safety for you and others.
    I try different ways on racking the slide. Some days my 88 year old thumbs are too weak to do the slingshot. My Sig has serrations in front of the ejection port so the cup overhand seems to work on some days.

One thing that I will not do is criticize others as long as it's safe. As an old geezer it is amazing to me to see all the experts on Facebook, glad I don't belong.

Top Bottom