• ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    It might not hurt to have a duplicate of a favorite carry gun.
    If God forbid you ever have to use it in a self defense situation, won't law enforcement take it away from you to SUPPOSEDLY be returned later after an investigation?

This would be one of the WORST times to be defenseless, as there may be others not too happy you shot their buddy.
    Not to mention the need to be prepared for one of those unfortunate boating accidents.

dcobra

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    southport
    If you've shot many types of handguns and decided the G17 suits you best, then have another. You can play with it a bit and keep your original as is. Modify it try new sights, etc. and always have the original set up how you are comfortable with.

But to settle on a stock Glawk seems suspiciously unfulfilling. You've shot other handguns, yes?

I've got more than a couple 75b's and a few pre B's, so I know where you're coming from. But they all feel slightly different.

And there is no gaurantee the another G17 is going to shoot and feel the same as the one you have now, so keep that in mind.

This is a great idea! I'll just buy another one and change up the sights and maybe the trigger! I have a gen 3 rtf2 right now so I guess I could buy a gen 4. Thanks for the advice!

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Two is One and One is None.

Go ahead and buy another G17. Have it as "backup".

Use one solely for range work / classes - keep the other for carry.

If you do any modifications, do it to both pistols. Keep them as "exact duplicates".

God forbid you ever have to use your gun in self-defense - chances are good that you'll end up losing that gun to the investigating agency for who knows how long. You'd automatically have a backup exactly like you're used to.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Buy another 17 and a Mech Tech upper and have a great handgun/carbine combo...

mechglock.jpg

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    You need 2 of them. The reason being when one blows up in your hand, still have another to blow up the in the other hand!!

tackshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 11, 2014
    Southside
    My favorite pistol by far is my glock 17. I love this gun so much i think I wanna buy another one. So is it weird to have two of the same guns? Usually I am always buying something different. Different calibers, different designs, but in my opinion there is no better pistol than a glock 17. At the end of the day though how different could another glock 17 be from any other one. Anyone out there have multiple glocks in the same caliber? Maybe you could help me with this strange notion.

I have a gen 3 17 and gen 4 19, really like them both, thinking of trading one for a 26 but unsure for right now.
    You always trick one out with a silencer and a red dot, then they would be very different

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I picked up a duplicate of my EDC because of reasons that have been mentioned. Even better, it's off the books. If for some reason I'm deprived of the first one, I have the second.

dcobra

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    southport
    So here's what happened today. I go to Bradis and ask to hold a gen 4 glock 17. We'll it fits my hand like a glove and I'm in love, but... I also held a glock 41 and I might just have found my next purchase! Feels like a 17 but holds 13 rounds of 45! What's not to love!

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    So here's what happened today. I go to Bradis and ask to hold a gen 4 glock 17. We'll it fits my hand like a glove and I'm in love, but... I also held a glock 41 and I might just have found my next purchase! Feels like a 17 but holds 13 rounds of 45! What's not to love!

Sounds like a winner.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Frankly, there are so many good, practical reasons to own 2 of the same gun that I'm surprised it isn't more common among utilitarian gun owners than it is.

FWIW about HALF of INGOers own identical firearms. Goes up to about 70% if you count "similar" guns (same design, different mfg. ex. ARs, 1911s, etc.).

See poll: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...scussion/211582-who-owns-two-same-gun-10.html

Some Reasons: redundancy/spare, a BUG, train with one (wear it out) while carrying another, arm family members/friends, different dedicated setups (light/laser, competition/defense, etc.), collecting/investment, consistency of operation, arms to pre-position at different locations, because you have 2 hands, etc.

Last edited:

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    My favorite pistol by far is my glock 17. I love this gun so much i think I wanna buy another one. So is it weird to have two of the same guns? Usually I am always buying something different. Different calibers, different designs, but in my opinion there is no better pistol than a glock 17. At the end of the day though how different could another glock 17 be from any other one. Anyone out there have multiple glocks in the same caliber? Maybe you could help me with this strange notion.
    Buy whatever you want man. It's your money

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I don't own two of the same guns, but I'd like to. My wife likes the G19 so that stays by her recliner, I'd like to get another just like it for the headboard or my recliner and put my Hk45 in the safe. I'm picking up a VP9 today for my recliner/winter/open carry.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Something else to consider:

Take the money that'd normally go to buying "another gun" (Meaning another fun gun / toy / range gun - NOT a duplicate) and invest in some formal firearms training.

That's a much better investment!

Top Bottom