• ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have tilled the whole garden twice now. My peas are up an inch or two now. I set my pea fence next to them. Also coming up already are radishes, mustard greens, spinach, lettuce, onions. Just planted are fennel, broccoli raab, taters. Plants set out include broccoli, cabbage, leeks, and lettuces. We have had two messes of asparagus so far for supper.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Tilled my "corn field" multiple times and raked out weeds/rocks. Added a bag of peat moss tilled, added another bag and tilled again. Tilled the regular veggie side and started prepping that. Need more peat moss and duck manure to till in as well. Can't wait to get the garden in.

On a side note. I am turning a storage shed that is right by my garden into a chicken coop this fall. Layers, Boss Rooster, building an incubator in the barn and I'm going to have a cage system in the back part of the shed for roasters.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg. I hate my dog. She got in the garden by ripping down the gate (to be fair, it's just wire fencing). And she dug up a bed. At least it didn't have anything growing in it yet, but I had planted my 2nd round of broccoli in it. :xmad:
    I'm giving up on backyard landscaping while our 2 backyard terrorists are still young. If only they would learn to destroy weeds instead! The vegetable garden is enclosed by a chain link fence and sturdy gate, terrorists tried to sneak in there behind me yesterday when I picked asparagus.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I got another good look at some of my cherry trees last night and I am amazed at how many buds I'm going to have this year. If all goes well, I should have some cherries this year. Now I just need to get some bird nets.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I got another good look at some of my cherry trees last night and I am amazed at how many buds I'm going to have this year. If all goes well, I should have some cherries this year. Now I just need to get some bird nets.

Crossing my fingers we don't frost out this year. I have good buds on my apples and cherry trees. Should be a good crop this year if everything goes well.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Crossing my fingers we don't frost out this year. I have good buds on my apples and cherry trees. Should be a good crop this year if everything goes well.

For me, last year I put in three cherries, and this year another six for a total of nine. The new ones have a bud or two, but the three I put out last year are really showing a lot of buds. I'm not sure what I can expect this year for a harvest out of my three established trees. If I got half a bushel I'm be excited, and honestly if I got half a popcorn bowl this early in the orchards life I'm be excited. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    My garlic is up at least 8 to 10 inches. The cat and I weeded the asparagus patch Saturday and a few stalks are just breaking ground. Rhubarb is progressing nicely. Flower beds are all shaping up nicely and I planted a bunch more bulbs and perennials over the weekend that can handle some cooler temps if we get them. Lots more to plant as it warms up more.

I can't wait for that first BLT but I know it won't be anytime soon!

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    My garlic is up at least 8 to 10 inches. The cat and I weeded the asparagus patch Saturday and a few stalks are just breaking ground. Rhubarb is progressing nicely. Flower beds are all shaping up nicely and I planted a bunch more bulbs and perennials over the weekend that can handle some cooler temps if we get them. Lots more to plant as it warms up more.

I can't wait for that first BLT but I know it won't be anytime soon!

WOAH, HOLD IT RIGHT THERE! How do you plant pigs?

:):

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I've got some sandy soil and was wondering what the best seed to use we get mostly shade with the trees and the way the house sits. Also anyone have luck using grub control to get rid of moles?

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    WOAH, HOLD IT RIGHT THERE! How do you plant pigs?

:):
    Don't be like the polish guy at the Rural King Store. Ordered 100 chicks the first week. Back a week later and ordered another 100. Back the third week for another 100 and the guy at RoRo king asked him what he was doin with all these chicks. The Pole says "They keep dying on me. "
    "Did you figure out what was happening?" He asked.
    The Pole replied, "I can't figure out if I'm planting 'em to far apart or too deep."

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I've got some sandy soil and was wondering what the best seed to use we get mostly shade with the trees and the way the house sits. Also anyone have luck using grub control to get rid of moles?
    What are you wanting to grow?
    We used to spread grub killer on the lawn, and it did help with the moles. They always return, though. We quit doing it because of our dogs, and I like to use grass clippings as compost. Husband is thinking about using it again in the front yard, our dogs don't go there, and I will have to quit using it for compost.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Ours is real drip irrigation. Larger hoses with smaller emitter hoses attached. Takes some work laying it out and plugging the smaller hoses into the larger, but it doesn't clog and gives plenty of water. If it gets kinked in storage holes will sometimes appear and need to be cut out or patched. Sometimes sheds small emitter hoses in storage, but usually they can be plugged right back in.
    Drip Irrigation | Dripworks | Tubing (Mainline/Emitter)

Oops - mean to quote the post above this one.

I also use Dripworks. It seemed complicated at first, but it's really not. This is my 3rd year using it.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    We've been enjoying asparagus and lettuce for a couple of weeks now. peas and onions are growing. Kinda early, but I planted a couple of cucumber and zucchini seeds. I decided not to start tomatoes and peppers myself this year. I just don't really have the time, space or setup to do it properly. I always have a few that I can plant, but lose a lot. I tried a new source for organic plants this year, The Tasteful Garden. Tomatoes and peppers arrived yesterday. They were packaged very well, and don't look overly stressed from shipping. I will try to get those in the ground tonight or tomorrow.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    It's starting to look like a garden again.

Everything but the summer and winter squash are planted. Only have eggplant, tomatoes and peppers still indoors waiting to make sure the temps don't take another night-time dive. I usually use Mother's Day as the "last frost" day and the time when soil temps and night-time temps are sufficiently high to keep the tomatoes and peppers happy. Haven't had lettuce or spinach come up at all this year despite multiple plantings. Not sure why, but it's irritating.

We've been enjoying asparagus and lettuce for a couple of weeks now. peas and onions are growing. Kinda early, but I planted a couple of cucumber and zucchini seeds. I decided not to start tomatoes and peppers myself this year. I just don't really have the time, space or setup to do it properly. I always have a few that I can plant, but lose a lot. I tried a new source for organic plants this year, The Tasteful Garden. Tomatoes and peppers arrived yesterday. They were packaged very well, and don't look overly stressed from shipping. I will try to get those in the ground tonight or tomorrow.

You might want to take a few days and harden them off before you put them in the ground. I got impatient last year and rushed some into the ground without an adequate hardening off period. Took them a month to get past the shock of transplant and new environment before they really started growing again. Since your plants have the added stress of transport, it would be even more important to let them acclimate. If not, I'd put a floating row cover over.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    It's starting to look like a garden again.

Everything but the summer and winter squash are planted. Only have eggplant, tomatoes and peppers still indoors waiting to make sure the temps don't take another night-time dive. I usually use Mother's Day as the "last frost" day and the time when soil temps and night-time temps are sufficiently high to keep the tomatoes and peppers happy. Haven't had lettuce or spinach come up at all this year despite multiple plantings. Not sure why, but it's irritating.

You might want to take a few days and harden them off before you put them in the ground. I got impatient last year and rushed some into the ground without an adequate hardening off period. Took them a month to get past the shock of transplant and new environment before they really started growing again. Since your plants have the added stress of transport, it would be even more important to let them acclimate. If not, I'd put a floating row cover over.

I was worried about the same thing, but they are supposed to be already hardened. They recommended giving them a half day of sunlight for a couple of days, then planting, unless temperature doesn't allow. I probably won't plant all of them at once.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I was worried about the same thing, but they are supposed to be already hardened. They recommended giving them a half day of sunlight for a couple of days, then planting, unless temperature doesn't allow. I probably won't plant all of them at once.
    That's cool.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    My garden hasn't changed one bit, but I did get 6 Russian pomegranate trees in the mail this week, and they threw in a Gala Apple tree. I bought the Russian pomegranates because they're the only ones that can survive in my zone and they're something you don't see everyday around these parts. I'm happy to add them to the collection.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    We've had two pickings of asparagus finally. Brussel sprouts are in. I have a few tomato plants but have not put them in yet. I don't plant anything that might get hit by frost until after the 20th due to past experiences where I lost everything by planting too early.

Flowers are coming along nicely so I focus on those until I can start playing in the garden too.

Jason R. Bruce

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Man, you guys are making me glad I live in the far southern end of the state. Once coyote season goes out (March 15th) I get busy in the raised beds & gardens. Everything in my gardens is up good and the raised beds have been producing meals for about a week now. Raised beds are full of radishes, six varieties of onions, spinach, four varieties of lettuce, peas, parsley, oregano, cilantro, carrots & a couple broccoli/cauliflower/cabbage that wouldn't fit in the garden rows.

Vegetable gardens include corn, beans, four varieties of peppers, Rutgers & Jet Star tomatoes, 50# of seed potatoes, squash, zucchini, cucumbers, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, watermelon and cantaloupe. Corn & beans are up about 4". I've got another 100 Rutgers in the greenhouse that need a home so I'm planning to put them in late next week if the ground dries out enough to till. We're pretty dry right now but rain is coming tomorrow. I need it, my rain collection system could hold another 450 gallon right now.

We had such a banner year on berries last year I cut all the blackberries & raspberries WAY back this spring, they're slowly coming around. I'm sure we'll have enough to eat on, but I doubt we'll be putting up dozens of pints of jelly like we did last year. They'll come back hard next year.

Here's a little recap on a new raised bed I put in about a month ago.

IMG_20140405_120809_001_zps12lsgdyb.jpg

When it came time to plant, I checked on my laborers and they looked like a state highway crew... two sucking on popsicles and one... well... this is what I get for sweeping all the brass & hulls from under the bench!
    IMG_20140405_190655_133_zpszpfm3eb4.jpg

Got everything planted...
    IMG_20140405_124434_085_zpsdrfrm9li.jpg

Then chicken proofed.... bird netting on top is hard to see...
    IMG_20140405_125024_489_zpshj0fkys3.jpg

IMG_20140405_200236_zpssyaauivh.jpg

We started eating fresh salads last week.
    IMG_20140506_180216_329_zpstzunojh5.jpg

Top Bottom