• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    "May have"? The moron has most certainly cost the gop a seat. And he deserves to be cast aside. Maybe the republicrats will learn something from this about vetting candidates and not running morons, but I'm not going to hold my breath on it.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    It's bull crap. The guy was trying to say "in cases of forcible rape, why punish the innocent baby who might result"? And while his biology may be wrong, he is right that only 2-4% of forcible rapes result in conception.

Barak Obama claimed there were 57 States; he got elected. Joe Biden claimed you had to have a "slight Indian accent" to own a convenience store; he got elected. Some People's Farmer's Party Rep in Minnesota just got caught having sex with a 17 year old at a highway rest stop; his party hasn't called for him to resign.

How about a little less hypocrisy, a little more honesty, and a whole bunch of STFU.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The Republicans will always abandon their wounded.

It is the reason that Republicans are unwilling to fight as they know that if they are wounded no one will come for them.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    It's bull crap... How about a little less hypocrisy, a little more honesty, and a whole bunch of STFU.

+1 I have come to believe that it is of no wonder that our politicians are vanilla; who else could survive the vetting process or public scrutiny in this media rich environment?

Take a look at past presidents considered to be great men. Who amung them would make the ticket today?

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    The only people who are offended or angered are the ones who are so stuck on themselves and looking for a reason to be offended.

I'm going to keep track of who says he should step down, and then cross-reference that list against those who pitch a fit over issues like birth certificates and college records. I'm betting we'll see a lot of overlap and a lot of hypocrisy.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    The only people who are offended or angered are the ones who are so stuck on themselves and looking for a reason to be offended.

I'm going to keep track of who says he should step down, and then cross-reference that list against those who pitch a fit over issues like birth certificates and college records. I'm betting we'll see a lot of overlap and a lot of hypocrisy.

Akins isn't without his own hypocrisy. When the Missouri Republican House Speaker got a DUI some years ago; Akins called for his resignation.

On the other hand, the national Republican Establishment ought to be horsewhipped repeatedly; then pistol-whipped; then urinated-on for overreacting to this bull. If they think the seat is so damned important, why cut off funding for it. Only an idiot would think something like this has to ruin this guy's campaign. Can't remember who, but someone called it the Republican "Circular Firing Squad."

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011

Also keep a list of all the people who have NEVER misspoke.

Tsigos

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    On the other hand, the national Republican Establishment ought to be horsewhipped repeatedly; then pistol-whipped; then urinated-on for overreacting to this bull. If they think the seat is so damned important, why cut off funding for it. Only an idiot would think something like this has to ruin this guy's campaign. Can't remember who, but someone called it the Republican "Circular Firing Squad."

The only reason the national GOP reacted this way was because Akin surprised them by beating the establishment candidate in the GOP primary. Of all the candidates in the GOP primary, Akin polled the worst versus Mccaskill. The national GOP thought they could force Akin to step down and they would be able to replace him with a "better" candidate. The plan failed and now they have only succeeded in generating a lot of negative press for Akin and the GOP.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Also keep a list of all the people who have NEVER misspoke.

Oh, but it only counts if you are an 'R' and not a 'D', like it may be alright to declare that there are 57 states, but don't you dare even think about misspelling a vegetable!

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    With the MSM relentlessly hammering home that Republicans are waging a "War on Women" his comments were just more grist for the mill. I read yesterday, can't find the link, a report that stated that the DNC had contributed as much as $1.5 million to Mr. Akin's campaign. If this is true, which I don't for a minute doubt, there can only be one reason. They obviously feel that he is such a loose cannon that his nomination would almost guarantee a Dem victory in the general election. I am sure the MSM and the DNC are simply giddy over his remarks. Most of the voting public will base their decision upon a stream of 15 second sound bites. While Mr. Akin's comment was ignorant of biology what is most egregious for him, as well as his fellow Republicans, is his complete lack of understanding of the playing field in which he is competing. Just my opinion. Virtually all Republican wounds are self-inflicted.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The Republicans will always abandon their wounded.

It is the reason that Republicans are unwilling to fight as they know that if they are wounded no one will come for them.

Well this battlefield is different. There is no honor among politicians except the public perceptions they can manipulate.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    With the MSM relentlessly hammering home that Republicans are waging a "War on Women" his comments were just more grist for the mill. I read yesterday, can't find the link, a report that stated that the DNC had contributed as much as $1.5 million to Mr. Akin's campaign. If this is true, which I don't for a minute doubt, there can only be one reason. They obviously feel that he is such a loose cannon that his nomination would almost guarantee a Dem victory in the general election. I am sure the MSM and the DNC are simply giddy over his remarks. Most of the voting public will base their decision upon a stream of 15 second sound bites. While Mr. Akin's comment was ignorant of biology what is most egregious for him, as well as his fellow Republicans, is his complete lack of understanding of the playing field in which he is competing. Just my opinion. Virtually all Republican wounds are self-inflicted.

This particular Senate race is far from being over. McCaskill has a very low approval rating in Missouri and Akin has plenty of time to overcome this "tempest in a teapot" if he campaigns well. For instance, all he needs to do is run a 30-second ad parroting some of McCaskill's gaffes and then, of course, he could replay Obama's famous "you didn't build that" line, and Biden's "you have to have a slight Indian accent to own a convenience store in this town" pearl of wisdom. What Akin said pales in comparison.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I think the bigger picture here is whether or not this is a position that the GOP, as a whole, actually endorses. Is the backlash by the GOP because Akin said what many believe but failed to couch the position with the proper weasel words, or is the backlash genuine disgust with such a fringe position. Phrases like "legitimate" and "forcible" being attached to rape are often backdoor attempts at a blanket ban on abortion. The idea that fertilization can't occur from rape isn't new among the junk science evangelical crowd.

RNC Chairman:
    http://videocafe.crooksandliars.com/heather/priebus-tries-put-distance-between-akin-an

Oh, lets not forget that Akin sits on the House Committee on Science, Space, and Technology.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I think the bigger picture here is whether or not this is a position that the GOP, as a whole, actually endorses. Is the backlash by the GOP because Akin said what many believe but failed to couch the position with the proper weasel words, or is the backlash genuine disgust with such a fringe position. Phrases like "legitimate" and "forcible" being attached to rape are often backdoor attempts at a blanket ban on abortion. The idea that fertilization can't occur from rape isn't new among the junk science evangelical crowd.

RNC Chairman:
    Priebus Tries to Put Distance Between Akin and Ryan's Views on Abortion | Video Cafe

Oh, lets not forget that Akin sits on the House Committee on Science, Space, and Technology.

KEEERAP. What "position"? That only 3-7% of rapes result in pregnancy? That some cases of "rape" are only "rape" after the girl gets caught by her Daddy? Or doesn't get paid what she thought she should by the Frat-Jock Hockey team? Or that when rape occurs, we should punish the rapist and not kill the resulting baby?

Apparently, "Junk science" = "science level.eleven doesn't agree with."

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    KEEERAP. What "position"? That only 3-7% of rapes result in pregnancy? That some cases of "rape" are only "rape" after the girl gets caught by her Daddy? Or doesn't get paid what she thought she should by the Frat-Jock Hockey team? Or that when rape occurs, we should punish the rapist and not kill the resulting baby?

Apparently, "Junk science" = "science level.eleven doesn't agree with."

You said his science was bad as well. I don't understand your reply. You will find the position of selective fertilization is unique to the evangelical crowd who want to completely outlaw abortion, relegating it to backroom chop shops. It has came up in the past amongst conservative lawmakers looking to backdoor abortion bans using words like 'forcible" or in this case, legitimate.

Physicians For Life - Abstinence, Abortion, Birth Control - Assault Rape Pregnancies Are Rare

No original sources in that piece.

Lawmaker Says Rape Can't Cause Pregnancy - SFGate

A conservative lawmaker from 1995 referencing "juices don't flow" during a rape.

Peter Cornswalled: The Myth of Rape Pregnancies

That one is simple wishful thinking.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/...-silence-on-rape-redefining-abortion-bill.php

Attempt to redefine rape was shelved.

This ignorance of simple biology is dangerous. I am glad the GOP is distancing itself from Akin.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    You said his science was bad as well. I don't understand your reply. You will find the position of selective fertilization is unique to the evangelical crowd who want to completely outlaw abortion, relegating it to backroom chop shops. It has came up in the past amongst conservative lawmakers looking to backdoor abortion bans using words like 'forcible" or in this case, legitimate.

Physicians For Life - Abstinence, Abortion, Birth Control - Assault Rape Pregnancies Are Rare

No original sources in that piece.

Lawmaker Says Rape Can't Cause Pregnancy - SFGate

A conservative lawmaker from 1995 referencing "juices don't flow" during a rape.

Peter Cornswalled: The Myth of Rape Pregnancies

That one is simple wishful thinking.

Radio Silence On Rape-Redefining Abortion Bill From The Right | TPMDC

Attempt to redefine rape was shelved.

This ignorance of simple biology is dangerous. I am glad the GOP is distancing itself from Akin.

Ignorance of simple biology may be dangerous, but it's not the only ignorance; it's a minor distraction from his original point; and it's not germane to the rest of the Party or the majority of the issues in the race. Get over it.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Ignorance of simple biology may be dangerous, but it's not the only ignorance; it's a minor distraction from his original point; and it's not germane to the rest of the Party or the majority of the issues in the race. Get over it.

Get over my ignorance. What a laughable position to defend. Not "your" ignorance, general use of my. I assume you are saying that Akin tripped up trying to explain an issue greater than a campaign stop speech can encompass. Come on, You didn't think of that.

I hold a different position. No one is surprised a theologian like Akin (Master of Divinity) would want to walk back abortion, but to do so while misrepresenting science is dangerous. That was with what I took issue. As we discussed briefly in another thread, the GOP seems to wear ignorance like a badge of honor when presented with scientific evidence.

Is Akin an outlier, or part of a bigger problem for the GOP? I think that is a legitimate question for the future of the party.

Todd Akin’s Rape Comments: Symptom of Larger Republican Disease | Swampland | TIME.com

ETA: If Akin's understanding of basic biology is as poor as you say, should he be authoring or voting on reproductive legislation? Should he be sitting on the House Science Committee?

Last edited:

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    Wow. Just wow. So, we really have people who would prefer that a woman raped and impregnated, no matter how small those odds are, be forced to keep a child forced upon her by a violent maniac? A child who, regardless of its' innocence, will be a constant reminder of suffering and pain, and as such may have a horrible life as an object of scorn and resentment? To say nothing of the ruination of the aforementioned womans' plans for her life?

I am at a loss for words.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Wow. Just wow. So, we really have people who would prefer that a woman raped and impregnated, no matter how small those odds are, be forced to keep a child forced upon her by a violent maniac? A child who, regardless of its' innocence, will be a constant reminder of suffering and pain, and as such may have a horrible life as an object of scorn and resentment? To say nothing of the ruination of the aforementioned womans' plans for her life?

I am at a loss for words.

Who said that?

Top Bottom