• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've had the rifle for 30+ years, never seriously looked at firing it until recently, have been making cases from 20 gauge shot shell brass.

TheBoss930

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 12, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I finally got a Martini-Henry cartridge. Its 577/450 Eley made in England. Lots of history with that round. I am sure thousands of Zulus fell to the 577/450. Not sure I would want to face them in a red wool jacket carrying a single shot rifle.

20160620_182654_resized.jpg
    20160620_182703_resized.jpg
    Wow!! That's seriously awesome!! I've fallen behind on collecting some...

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I've had the rifle for 30+ years, never seriously looked at firing it until recently, have been making cases from 20 gauge shot shell brass.

Those Martini-Henry's are really cool. I can remember back when Sportsmans Guide was selling them for 99 bucks in their catalogs. They were antiques so no license required. Wish I had ordered one now. But, I had 5 mouths to feed back then and it just wasn't a priority.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Wow that is a very cool old round with a lot of history. :yesway: I would guess there are very few of those rounds here in the US.

Way out of my price range though. 308 bucks with shipping!

I hope someday I get to the point where I can save and get a few items a year like that but I am not at that point with my collection.

The two live rounds and one dummy from that seller are the first ones I have seen in over 10 years, but they have been for sale for close to 6 months on Gunbroker. I don't have one in my collection and won't be adding one at that price, but they sure are cool. The rarest anti-tank round I have ever seen was the 8mm Maroszek and that was at Knob Creek probably close to 15 years ago - it was the one and only I have ever seen and I had no idea how rare it was at the time. The price was around $100 or so, but prices and the nature of gun and cartridge collecting have changed a lot since then. The Polish round was based on the same idea as the German round - a small diameter tungsten cored bullet at ultra high velocity.

Link to info on the rifle that fired the 8mm Maroszek:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wz._35_anti-tank_rifle

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    That Wiki link really took me down the rabbit hole. I just spent an hour and a half looking at anti-tank guns and even watched a video Disney made for the Canadian military on the Boys anti-tank rifle, awesome stuff.

[video=youtube;CnhlD0HZAm4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CnhlD0HZAm4[/video]

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Many thanks wolfhound, that training film was stunning... Great mix of humor and reality there... Disney did so many great training films.

I regret now not pursuing more the Boys gun on Gunbroker a few years ago. A neat conversion to a 50 cal BMG round, But like so many of those conversions the seller had no idea if it worked.. and the conversion parts that went into it... They had it set up that you could not feed the rounds from the Magazine because the difference in size of the original round and the bmg round.. But it had heart..

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    IMG_3092_zpsqcida6b6.jpg
    Left to right: .577/450 Martini-Henry, .43 Spanish Reformado, 7.62x54r Egyptian practice with plastic bullet, 7.92x57mm Mauser Danish wood bulleted blank produced with a reused WWII German case, 9x51mm SMAW spotter cartridge

A few recent additions to the collection.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Many thanks wolfhound, that training film was stunning... Great mix of humor and reality there... Disney did so many great training films.

I regret now not pursuing more the Boys gun on Gunbroker a few years ago. A neat conversion to a 50 cal BMG round, But like so many of those conversions the seller had no idea if it worked.. and the conversion parts that went into it... They had it set up that you could not feed the rounds from the Magazine because the difference in size of the original round and the bmg round.. But it had heart..

I would love to own a boys anti-tank gun. I don't know if I could handle the recoil but it would be fun to try. :D

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    View attachment 48199
    Left to right: .577/450 Martini-Henry, .43 Spanish Reformado, 7.62x54r Egyptian practice with plastic bullet, 7.92x57mm Mauser Danish wood bulleted blank produced with a reused WWII German case, 9x51mm SMAW spotter cartridge

A few recent additions to the collection.

Some nice and unusual cartridges you have there! What is the 9x51mm SMAW cartridge used for?

Top Bottom