• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    My friend Caleb Giddings has a fantastic article on the current ammunition sales circumstances and it is a great one to show to those in the gun culture infested with brain worms (all too common now) whose waste inside the brain cause them to believe in conspiracies. It is not a conspiracy, it is supply meeting demand. Education combats fear, so read away.

Kevo9009

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I have to admit I’ve never been in the middle of a shortage like this before. I know it’s not the first time but when I first started getting into the shooting world it was in abundance. I still can’t believe people are camping out local shops to clean them out as soon as they open and just like the article said, no need to buy it all. Get what you need, maybe a little extra. But at these prices not many people are shooting everyday anyways. I’m slowly finding it’s a little easier to find it, but prices are not dropping.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I have to admit I’ve never been in the middle of a shortage like this before. I know it’s not the first time but when I first started getting into the shooting world it was in abundance. I still can’t believe people are camping out local shops to clean them out as soon as they open and just like the article said, no need to buy it all. Get what you need, maybe a little extra. But at these prices not many people are shooting everyday anyways. I’m slowly finding it’s a little easier to find it, but prices are not dropping.
    Humanity believes that things will always go on as they have. Thus, people do not save, do not invest, do not buy extra ammo for the basement.

E.g., when I was setting up Gladiator shelving for my ammo storage and getting back into reloading several years ago, I was told by people here on INGO that "I store my ammo at the Rural King." They honestly believed that it would always be there and they would be able to buy it. *sigh*

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I think the unfortunate truth is that we're going to be dealing with shortages for at least two more years, and prices will probably bottom out at ~150% of pre-covid. Those manufacturer price hikes aren't going away. 40cpr 5.56 and 30cpr 9mm will probably be the new normal.

rb288

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    Grovertown
    Yeah, while I have bunches of commercial rounds for several calibers, I am "lean" on others.
    I reload, so I do have the ability to make ammo for 9 different calibers when/as I need it.
    But, reloading supplies are suffering the same availability issues as commercial ammo, primers and powder, being the biggest needs right now. If push came to shove, I'm good, commercially and reloads, with 9mm, 45acp, 223/556, 300blk, and 308.
    I'm shorter, less than 200 to 300 ea, on supplies, and rounds, for 6.5 Grendel, 6.5 creedmoor, 450bm, and 8x57.
    As far as non-reloadable, I'm good with 7.62x54r, lots of 12 gauge, and 22lr.
    I fear this is going to last awhile and I'm not comfortable shooting any long guns right now.
    9mm and 45acp, I feel I'm good to shoot a magazine or 2 every week to keep "fresh".
    But, as supplies start to dwindle, that may slow down also.
    Just have to keep looking and wait it out.
    Hopefully, it gets better before it gets worse.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    "I store my ammo at the Rural King." They honestly believed that it would always be there and they would be able to buy it. *sigh*
    Also, by family members and friends. One friend, who has his own range to a quarter mile conveniently across the road, was famous for this. Now that he is scrambling looking for a deal/supply to keep his few boxes in the safe, he doesn't seem to have a negative remark towards my storage. I saw him buy his 1st case and a spam can.

All these stimulus checks and tax time refunds, doubled down by panic may be causing all this too. It is like found money, so overpaying may not seem too painful. Plus, all the new gun owners might not know any better.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    All these stimulus checks and tax time refunds, doubled down by panic may be causing all this too. It is like found money, so overpaying may not seem too painful. Plus, all the new gun owners might not know any better.
    Oh I definitely think dropping free money on people in the midst of the strife and panic sent a lot of people swarming to stock up at any price.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    That is a good article. When I got into it in early 2012 things weren't too bad and I stocked up preparing for the election. Then, Sandy Hook happened so I just held tight. Got into reloading after it calmed down and prepared for 2016. Needless to say, I've stocked up in the last four years hoping for another four years because chances are, radicals are coming in next. :twocents:

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    Happy to report I've yet to pay more than $.30 a round for brass 9mm. It's out there at places like Rural King, Dunhams, and Cabela's if you're in the right place at the right time. Don't expect to find those deals at Anytown Guns and Ammo though.

carry205

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2017
    Florissant
    That is a good article. When I got into it in early 2012 things weren't too bad and I stocked up preparing for the election. Then, Sandy Hook happened so I just held tight. Got into reloading after it calmed down and prepared for 2016. Needless to say, I've stocked up in the last four years hoping for another four years because chances are, radicals are coming in next. :twocents:
    The radicals are here...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Humanity believes that things will always go on as they have. Thus, people do not save, do not invest, do not buy extra ammo for the basement.

E.g., when I was setting up Gladiator shelving for my ammo storage and getting back into reloading several years ago, I was told by people here on INGO that "I store my ammo at the Rural King." They honestly believed that it would always be there and they would be able to buy it. *sigh*
    Yeah I remember those people.
    Now they are screaming like smashed cats.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I have a friend who asked me years ago if he should get gold of silver in case of EOTWAWKI. I told him to invest in lead, the day after the world melts down he who has the lead will own the gold and silver. He took my advice and recently e-mailed me about how well that investment is working out for him $$$.

People keep telling me to "QUICK GO BUY AMMO"...me looking at my ammo...

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Out here in the country shooting has dropped off significantly.
    Could be the weather, but I can't remember the last time there has been such little sound of gunfire. People either are holding on to what they have or don't have much.
    I know I'm not shooting as much. I did shoot 200rds in my new RIA Ultra FS 10mm. Trying to break it in. And wanted the brass from it. Remington 180gn FN. They have nice nickel plated brass and the velocity is comparable to 40 S&W +p ammo.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort

I've seen the same thing in my area! I guess there are some "shooters" that put many other thing in a higher priority then stocking up ammo!

I'm not wealthy, but don't have any extra bills either. Firearms and ammo have a higher priority than an new vehicle (I have paid cash for all my vehicles in the last 30 years), Starbucks coffee or other optional expenses.

I recall when Russian ammo was selling at gun shows for less than $80 for a 400 ct spam can. I have a stack of these, Swedish 7.5x55 was selling for less than $20 a pack, I bought several, Last show I attended at Tipton had a guy selling Federal .308 FMJ 500 RD cartons for (as I recall) $200. Didn't need any but bought a carton. When the last shortage of 22LR hit I had plenty, but when the surplus occurred I purchased about 10K at very low prices. I have done the same with many other calibers.

You and I know this will pass, till then I need nothing! Son and I also have enough reloading supplies (less some brass which we will reuse) to load over 30K rounds of centerfire.

We have many reloading presses and dies, a LOT of raw lead, and molds for almost all our calibers. Just MAYBE this will wake up some of the "I keep my stock at RK or other gun shops" and they will buy and stock up when prices drop again.

Top Bottom