• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Will all rifle cartidges eventually be legal for deer-hunting in Indiana?

• Total voters

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    There has been some discussion in the Reloading sub-forum about the recent development of wildcat cartridges that meet Indiana's legal guidelines for caliber and case length, but do not necessarily adhere to the spirit of the restrictions. For most of the last 60 years, Indiana deer hunting has been restricted to short or medium-range firearms. In fact, until the refinements in shotgun slugs and barrels, along with the in-line muzzle-loader developments, most Indiana deer were harvested with guns that were not capable of good accuracy at 100 yards. As little as 25 years ago, this was the case.

Today's rifled slug barrels and 150gr-capable ML's are accurate and powerful enough to come very close to 200 yards worth of effective range. They do so at the cost of rather substantial recoil, which makes them a poor choice for recruiting women and youth to the sport. Recognizing this, along with an increased need to harvest more deer to control the overall herd numbers, Indiana decided to start allowing pistol-chambered rifles..."PCR" regulations. Since being introduced, the number of folks using these less powerful options has grown by leaps and bounds.

OK, so none of this is news to many folks on this forum. What IS becoming a bit of a hot topic is the development of these powerful wildcat cartridges. The latest round of 1.800" cases, necked to shoot 35 caliber bullets, push the envelope of performance into the 300 yard range. These rounds can be compared to the 35 Remington, 358 Winchester and even 35 Whelen factory cartridges, in terms of distance and effectiveness. On the other end of the scale, smaller rounds are offering young shooters and women options that allow them to shoot and hunt with cartridges that do not create enough recoil to bother them.

So, how did these regulations come about in the first place? Why did Indiana limit hunters to shotguns only, back in 1951, when excellent rifle cartridges were available for use? The commonly accepted reasoning given today, is that these restrictions were put in place for reasons of safety. That seems logical enough; shotgun slugs don't travel as far as bullets from high-powered rifles. But, was this the REAL reason behind why the DNR limited hunters to slugs, back then?

In 1951, the population of Indiana was still spread out the way it is today, but the total number of people was a whole lot less. Also, the locations where hunts were allowed back then were largely forested or had a lot of wetlands. In other words, the hunting was not being done near farmhouses or sub-divisions, as it sometimes is today. I can't go back and ask the guys who made these decisions what their motivation was, but what I can tell you is this: After the first season or two, which was "any deer", the population was reduced rather substantially. This was not the goal of the DNR, at the time. Subsequently, the next 30 years of Indiana deer hunting was restricted to mostly bucks, hunted with shotguns or MLs.

It is my opinion, then, that the idea behind restricting folks to short-range weapons, way back when, was to also restrict the harvest of deer. I do believe that safety was a concern, as it always is, but the primary reason was to try and prevent hunters from over-harvesting deer with long-range rifles. For the sake of this discussion, I would ask that you accept this premise; that Indiana only allowed shotguns for deer hunting back then to protect the growing herd, not because of long-range rifles presented a safety hazard, at that time.

Move forward to today and the message behind the deer hunting gun regulations in Indiana has clearly become one of safety. I have never heard that stated in so many words by the DNR, but it is commonly accepted as conventional wisdom by deer hunters in Indiana. In some areas, it is probably very sound wisdom, to be honest. However, the reality of what constitutes safe gun handling and use has never been proven to be related to what caliber or cartridge that gun fires. Gun safety will always be about how the individual using that gun handles it and fires it. Period.

Beginning in the early 1980's, something started happening in Indiana. The deer population, which had been stable, but growing slowly for 30 years, began to grow by leaps and bounds. There are likely many factors that contributed to this, including reduced hunting pressure, milder winters, and a sort of "critical mass" in the population, where their ability to reproduce began to greatly exceed the various types of predation to control their numbers. Indiana has no large predators, aside from man and car bumpers, so deer numbers are limited largely by suitable cover, winter habitat and their own highly reproductive nature!

By the mid-90's, the DNR started getting a little concerned about this growing deer population. Harvest quotas and regulations started to change. Doe hunts became more and more common. The number of hunters was also increasing, as the odds of success were much higher. By this time, bow-hunting had its own season and muzzle-loader got one, too. The DNR was doing everything it could to control deer numbers, and they're still working on that today!

Shortly after the turn of the century, the idea of allowing some kind of "rifle" to be used for deer hunting started to have a lot more appeal. There was a need to increase the harvest and there was also a serious concern about the inability to recruit younger hunters. Lever-action rifles in 357 and 44 Magnum seemed like just the ticket! But, the DNR didn't want true, long-range rifles out there, so they had to make a decision on exactly what they could do to allow some rifles, but not all of them. They went with very specific caliber and case length restrictions. In hindsight, they may now wish that they just defined a list of cartridges and been done with it.

You see, their regulations created a significant amount of confusion concerning one very specific cartridge. The original PCR reg's allowed for the use of a 44 Magnum and a 500 (S&W) Magnum. Many hunters did not read the details of the regulations and presumed that a 460 Magnum (right in-between 44 and 500, numerically) must also be legal. Well, as many of you know, it WAS NOT LEGAL. That didn't prevent many well-intentioned hunters from buying or making one and hunting deer with it. One of the biggest bucks I ever saw harvested was killed with an Encore, fitted with a 24" Katahdin barrel, chambered in 460S&W. This was 3 years ago, making it an illegally harvested deer, technically.

Seeing the ambiguity in their own regulations, the DNR increased the legal case length from 1.625" to 1.800", thereby allowing the 460S&W to be a legal cartridge for deer hunting with a rifle in Indiana. Personally, I think they missed a great opportunity to fix the regulations, once and for all. I believe they will change the rules again, sooner or later. Whether it is to allow all rifles larger than a certain caliber (22?) to be used, except in certain urban "zones" where they stick with the existing regs, or if they decide to finally create an expanded list of approved cartridges for deer hunting, I do feel pretty strongly that Indiana WILL eventually allow "regular" rifles to be used.

Why do I feel that way? Several things point in this direction. Since the introduction of the PCR regulations, gun safety has continued to be very high in Indiana. There were folks opposed to those changes who claimed more and more accidental shootings would occur during hunting season. That has not materialized. Many hunters use elevated stands these days, which means their shot angle is typically quite safe.

Perhaps the main reason I feel the regulations will change again is that a unique time is coming in the history of deer hunting. As aging baby-boomers pass on, or find that they can no longer head out to the woods, there is going to be a substantial drop in the number of hunters each fall. This is coming at a crucial time, when there is a tremendous need to control burgeoning deer populations. It will become vital to recruit and retain hunters to the sport, while actually increasing the effectiveness of each individual who is out there hunting.

To this end, "normal" deer-hunting rifle cartridges, like the 243, 270 and 308 Winchester, along with many others, would allow fewer hunters to harvest more deer. It would also make it easier for your every-day "Joe Hunter" to harvest deer at 200 to 300 yards. Younger hunters would have low-recoil options that wouldn't limit them to under 100 yards of effective range. Deer standing 400 yards away, in a cut bean field, would no longer be out of range for a skilled rifleman. (You can use a 25-'06 to shoot coyotes at that range, but not deer...what kind of sense does that make?)

The wildcat cartridges that have been created for the 1.625" and 1.800" case length regulations have allowed folks to shoot deer at ever-increasing distances. There have been no negative repurcussions from this, so far, despite the effective range being doubled from where it was as little as 20 years ago. Hunters are proving that careful shot selection, including knowing your backdrop, is the key to gun safety during deer season. The cartridge being used has very little to do with whether or not the HUNTER is being safe, and it never has.

Improvements in slug guns, MLs, and the advent of relatively long-range, but legal, wildcat rounds has greatly extended how far away Hoosier deer hunters can consistently and humanely harvest a deer. This has been accomplished along with hunter education efforts that have actually IMPROVED hunter safety, during the same time frame. In my mind, this proves that it is safe hunters who make for safe hunting seasons...not the type of firearm used or the range it is capable of shooting. As this trend continues, along with the need to improve hunter recruitment and harvest rates, I believe the Indiana DNR will finally conclude that most common rifle cartridges will be safe to use for deer hunting, throughout most of the state.

I do not apologize for being long-winded. This is fairly complicated topic with a lot of history and changes to discuss. I would very much like to hear from other folks who will undoubtedly have differing opinions on this subject. Let's keep the discussion civil and positive! :)

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I like seeing the responses to the poll, but no comments? I'd really like to hear what my fellow Hoosiers think about the developments allowing some rifles and the possibility that we may some day be able to use any standard cartridge for deer hunting. :)

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I would like nothing more than to get to legally use my Mosin to bag a deer. Love the rifle, would love to use it for more than just target shooting! However, thanks in no small part to all those LOVELY subdivisions popping up like mushrooms here there and everywhere, I predict that Indiana regulations will tighten instead of loosen when they change... sadly.

Fireman85

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    I don't think with hunting areas becoming smaller and smaller in indiana there is any reason to ever go any bigger than what we have now. It is nice to have the hand gun sizes but any bigger could get dangers especially on special hunts.

ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    I did not answer the poll because I don't have a clue what they will do. Every time I try to second guess them they surprise me. My OPINION is that if they were to incorporate all rifles into Indiana deer hunting it needs to be done with care and some exclusions. This state is not Wyoming. In most areas you can't drive ten miles without seeing someones home.Right or wrong,personally I would not be comfortable with people that I don't know 300yds behind my house with a 30-06. I would say if they were to do something like that there would need to be strict guidelines as to the proximity to homes that they would be allowed and that public hunting ground should be excluded. Just my opinion. Also as a side note, the topography of this state in most places really eliminates the necessity of long range shooting. Why use long range guns for short range work other than just because it is cool to shoot big guns?

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Some interesting takes on the need and safety of long-range cartridges. Deer can and will be harvested with shorter-range weapons, for sure. However, I still believe very strongly that it is the HUNTER who is either safe or unsafe, not the rifle or cartridge it fires. These new wildcat rounds, and cartridges like the 460S&W, are very effective 300 yard guns, but that doesn't make the guns unsafe.

I have been within 300 yards of a house more often than not, while deer hunting in Indiana. I have killed some deer and never been even remotely dangerous while doing so. It is a fallacy that the range potential of a cartridge makes it either safe or unsafe. A bullet from a 22LR can travel at least a mile and as much as 2,000 yards, if fired at an unsafe angle and with a poor backdrop. Does that make it an unsafe cartridge? Guys hunt varmints like crows and coyotes with 22-250 and 243 rifles. You don't hear many stories of mistakes being made because they make sure they have a suitable backdrop.

I guess I like the idea of being able to use discretion and knowledge to determine what cartridge is safe to use in a given area. The odds are if it isn't safe to use a 30-'06, it probably isn't safe to use a 44 magnum rifle, either. :twocents:

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    I personally believe that the words "skilled rifleman" used by the OP sums it up quite adequately as to whether or not the use of long range cartridges should be allowed. Again I see the mention of using such rounds to squirrel hunt, coyote hunt and such, but few, if any, notations of the number of hunters afield using them on opening day. Convenient omissions of these facts only substantiates the lack of reasoning for the inclusion of the more powerful rounds. I have used a 30/06 to bag squirrels, but only after reloading the round with cast bullets down to .22LR velocities. How many hunters in this state would take the time, effort, and money to replicate this? I believe that few would. I, along with a few others, attended quite a few meetings over 20 years ago to promote the use of "straight walled" cartridges to use for deer hunting, but politics put it on the back burner for a long time. When it came alive a few short years ago, the nomenclature of the "straight walled" was not used, and thus we now have the wishing for more a prevalent attitude. Just hold out your hands and wish with one hand and **** in the other. See which one fills up first.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    You make some great points, Tenring! :)

How does a state cultivate more "skilled riflemen", when most rifles are not allowed for deer hunting? I tend to think most deer hunters today are well educated on proper gun handling and I do not fear them, whether they carry a 12 gauge or a 358WSM wildcat.

It is indeed a "numbers" game. That is why you can hunt deer with a 15" 308 Winchester pistol, but not an 18" 308 Winchester carbine. The DNR knows there will never be a lot of folks willing to hunt with the pistol, so they do not worry about it. Being personally acquainted with both rifles and single-shot, specialty hunting pistols, I can tell you that the rules of safety are identical with both, irrespective of their chambering. My 7-30 Waters Contender is perfectly capable of 250 yard shots on deer-sized game or even longer on coyotes. That doesn't make the gun or chambering dangerous; if I didn't pay attention to my shot angle and backdrop, THAT would be dangerous! :)

If Indiana had chosen to allow only straight-walled cases, up to and including the 45/70, life would be a lot easier. If they had chosen "primitive cartridge" language, allowing such rounds as the 30/30, 32 Special, 35 Remington and others, that would have made a lot of sense, too. What they did was really ULTRA-conservative. In addition to attempting to limit the effective range of the cartridges being used, they tried to limit the number of different commonly available rifle actions that hunters might choose from. If they had included just the three chamberings mentioned above, the effective range would not have grown substantially, but the number of available firearms that fire those rounds is huge. I suspect the DNR wanted to avoid having a LOT of hunters in the woods with those guns. Why...is completely beyond me. :)

I think I'll keep my hands in my pocket, for now! :D

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    There's too much flat open country to open up the rules to long range rifles.
    Those bullets go somewhere, and there's enough idiots who don't care.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    columbus,indiana
    I think alot of this topic is personal choice. I myself would not hunt with a rifle because it takes away the challenge even with a shotgun in my areas that I have to hunt 50 to 75 yards is a far shot. With your average rifle you could shoot 300 consistently and thats just shooting not hunting IMO

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    IMO it is silly to restrict rifle calibers from deer hunting. A rifle caliber bullet is not anymore dangerous than a slug. Longer range? Sure. But that don't make it more dangerous. As the OP mentioned you can hunt other Indiana game with any rifle caliber. Only deer hunting has the restriction.

Also worth noting- I think there are a few reasons for declining hunter numbers. First and foremost is the difficulty in finding hunting land. 2nd is the state doubled the price of deer tags. I used to buy tags for 13.00 per I think. Then one year it had jumped to 24.00 if I recall. I was spending 150.00 a year on tags. Then I got a lifetime comprehensive hunting license as a gift. If the DNR was concerned about soaring deer populations they should start by requiring one tag for as many deer as you can take. Not one tag per deer. They are putting $$$ value above the real issue...controlling the states way too high deer population numbers.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Out a ways it's tougher to know what lies beyond. Esp if one is shooting out of the truck at a buck 250 yards out, at the crest of a field where it drops off and the guy with permission is in the treeline 150 yards past the deer, in a 15 ft stand, which can't be seen from the road..........

Field we hunt is like that, and the poor dude at the back has had stuff clacking timber close by.

Punks with gramp's '06, if such stuff was legal, I bet the incident rate would change exponentially.

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    These new wildcat pistol length rounds are churning out rifle type of speeds and ballistics. Some are more powerful than true rifle rounds. A 30/30 or .243 wouldn't be any more powerful than some of these newer rounds. I hope most rifles will be legal in the near future.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Indiana is no flatter, no more populated, and that population is no more widely distributed, than many other states where rifles are permitted. The current 1.800" regulations make 300 yard shooting a reality, if not something the masses will be doing.

Out West, where I grew up hunting, 300 yards was not considered long-range. Three of the first five big game animals I killed were taken at more than 200 yards. Ironically, the varmint hunting done in Indiana (with centerfire rifles) is often done at ranges of 300 yards, or more, just like it was out in CA and NV. I do agree that there is a distinction to be made between long-range shooting...and hunting. It is up to each person to decide for themselves where that distinction is made. For archery, it may be 50 yards; for muzzle-loader, 150 yards; for a true big-game rifle, well...that's up to the skills of the shooter, I believe. For me, I practice at longer ranges and know my gun and I can make solid hits, consistently, at 250 yards or more. This is definitely the subjective part of the discussion. :)

I think Indiana realized they were pricing some folks out of the hunting game, so they changed the regulations this year. Last season, I spent ~$125 on tags for the bow/gun/ML seasons I hunt. This year, you can get a combination license that gives you a buck tag and two doe tags for $65. That's still $22.33 for each tag, but you don't have to buy 4, 5, or 6 different pieces of paper...just the one! Save $60 and only need to buy 1 thing? I like that! :D

@Hookeye -- Your comments concern me the most. As hunters and sportsmen, we have ALL been taught to not shoot at a target with an uncertain backdrop. While you are correct to state that some guys might do this, particularly if the buck is big enough, I personally have more faith in Hoosier hunters than you do. It is MY belief that most of the guys out there hunting these days are conscious of the dangers they would create by taking such a shot. If that is not the case, why are there so few hunting-related shootings these days?

You suggest that "punks with gramp's '06" would cause a lot of accidents. Well, that is exactly the kind of complaints folks were making when the PCR regulations were being debated. "Some punk with a semi-auto or lever-action 44 is going to just start blasting away and kill someone!" The only problem with this theory, is that it hasn't happened. Give Indiana deer hunters a little credit.

Don't you see what's going on here? With so many things in life, people become convinced that what "is"...is what should be. It's called stasis and it is something we are all prone to. People are inherently suspicious of change, unless there is a glaring NEED for it; otherwise they are more likely to adhere to whatever the current norm is, at the time.

When I see one of those roller-skate "Smart" cars, I can't help but shake my head and wonder why anyone would buy one of those little death traps?! Statistics have already shown they are no more dangerous in an accident than 95% of the other passenger cars on the road. I "know" that, intellectually, but I still can't stop myself from thinking they would be dangerous.

The simple truth is that GUNS are made for killing things; people, primarily. We cling strongly to our 2nd Amendment rights because we know and understand that with education and safe gun handling, accidental shootings of all kinds can be almost entirely eliminated. This has been proven, beyond a shadow of doubt, with hunting firearms. Hunter educations efforts all across the country have resulted in fewer and fewer accidents, even if you look at them from a per-capita perspective. We are safer with our hunting guns than we have ever been, in the past. What does THAT tell you about all those "punk" out there with rifles and shotguns? It tells you they're being SAFE!

Gun safety is all about the person, guys...not the gun. I would wager that there isn't more than one or two people reading this thread who relies on their mechanical safety to keep their gun "safe". That is good, safe gun-handling knowledge at work. By the same token, the ONLY thing that can make a discharged round "safe"...is to have an educated person behind the trigger of that gun! It should be self-evident that the type of gun, or the cartridge it fires, is not what really matters in this equation.

It's time to stop thinking about what "is, and always has been", when it comes to deer hunting in Indiana. As the coming changes in hunter logistics begin to happen, it will be more and more important to understand our role, not as consumers of the whitetailed deer resource, but as stewards of that resource. Part of that is the heavy responsibility of harvesting enough deer to keep the population and the environment healthy. I'll put it like this: In the future, if we aren't using the most effective means to harvest a substantial number of deer each fall, the job will fall to car bumpers, sharp-shooters, and deer contraceptive methods.

Don't believe me? It's already happening, in some places. I do believe reg'lar ol' deer hunting rifles and cartridges are a part of Indiana's deer-hunting future. They never WERE unsafe and their use is going to be indicated by need, not too many years from now. :twocents:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I would love to be able to deer hunt with a 30-30 lever action or a 243 bolt gun.

Use a handgun.

There's too much flat open country to open up the rules to long range rifles.

To this I say:

1. The Pennsylvania study showed that this was hogwash as shotgun slugs are more dangerous than centerfire rifles.

2. Name the problems that other states that use centerfire rifles with "flat open country" have.

3. Game other than deer are shot in "flat open country" in Indiana, what problems have there been with the other game animals, including squirrels shot with centerfire rifles in trees?

personally believe that the words "skilled rifleman" used by the OP sums it up quite adequately as to whether or not the use of long range cartridges should be allowed.

I have often wondered why DNR does not establish a rifle license wherein those that attend a class and pass a shooting test may use a centerfire rilfe for deer. Sounds like a reasonable compromise to me but you know what opinions are like.

I do not understand why there is NO concern for using centerfire rifles on coyote or squirrel, but when the magic word "deer" is mentioned people run around the conference room table on fire.

Anywho as one who has used a centerfire rifle to take deer and hangs out with people who do so (predation permits), White County did not explode when this was done and no children burst into flame when a 6.5x284 was aimed at a deer rather than a squirrel.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I do not understand why there is NO concern for using centerfire rifles on coyote or squirrel, but when the magic word "deer" is mentioned people run around the conference room table on fire.

Great point! Ever wonder why there's no weapon restrictions on coyote or fox?. In fact, I don't beleive they're even any weapon restrictions on squirrel any more. So why the weapon restrictions for deer but not for some of the other species? My guess is, that its due to the numbers of people out there hunting deer with guns. My guess is that the politicians don't want to OK the full range of high-power rifle calibers, thinking that the hunters will have more accidental shootings. As much as I would love to hunt deer with my .243, .270, or .30-06, there is probably some validity to the concern about careless "hunters" (I use the term loosely!) shooting someone accidentally. Politicians being politicians, they just don't want to be responsible for the risk. I've personally been hit twice in the field over the years, luckily with no serious injury. There are a lot of idiots out in the field with guns. I'm sure we've all seen our fair share of yahoos out there. They really spoil it for the vast majority. I really hope I am wrong! But as long as deer hunting remains as popular as it is now, I just don't see them dropping the restrictions on high power rifles for deer.

Last edited:

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Great point! Ever wonder why there's no weapon restrictions on coyote or fox?. In fact, I don't beleive they're even any weapon restrictions on squirrel any more. So why the weapon restrictions for deer but not for some of the other species? My guess is, that its due to the numbers of people out there hunting deer with guns. My guess is that the politicians don't want to OK the full range of high-power rifle calibers, thinking that the hunters will have more accidental shootings. As much as I would love to hunt deer with my .243, .270, or .30-06, there is probably some validity to the concern about careless "hunters" (I use the term loosely!) shooting someone accidentally. Politicians being politicians, they just don't want to be responsible for the risk. I've personally been hit twice in the field over the years, luckily with no serious injury. There are a lot of idiots out in the field with guns. I'm sure we've all seen our fair share of yahoos out there. They really spoil it for the vast majority. I really hope I am wrong! But as long as deer hunting remains as popular as it is now, I just don't see them dropping the restrictions on high power rifles for deer.

You've been hit twice...by what? Bird shot from a near-by hunter that fired and pellets landed on you? I've been under a rain of pellets several times, but don't count that as being "hit".

Indiana hunters are as safe as those anywhere else, including other states that are flat and have houses here n' there, out in the country. People make sure that when they shoot, their backdrop is safe. It's not rocket science and I'm not going to question the "hunter" status of others while limiting myself and my fellow Hoosiers. The simple fact is that IF centerfire rifles were allowed in Indiana, the number of accidents would not rise appreciably, if at all.

I prefer the argument that deer live do not spend much time in open spaces to the "slob hunters" argument.

Top Bottom