• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Again, nothing but rumors, but the mag pictured is 20 rounds, and MSRP is supposedly under $500 by a decent amount. And Speer is making a Gold Dot for the 5.7.

Again. Nothing but internet rumors I'm spreading here.

You can tell Bill Ruger is dead.... That never would have happened under his watch....

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Ok, not going to get one but must comment. For those saying it is just a hyped up .22 magnum, please tell me who makes a reliable pistol in .22 magnum?

Keltec and Volquartsen make reliable .22 mag semi auto pistols. The PMR-30 is reliable if you load the mags correctly(a bit of a pain) but is only moderately accurate. The Scorpion starts at about $1800, is huge, and only has 9 round mags.

Of course, the centerfire 5.7 ammo is more reliable, uses better bullets, and has more potential for development than the .22 mag.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Of course, the centerfire 5.7 ammo is more reliable, uses better bullets, and has more potential for development than the .22 mag.

Exactly. Looks like the ammo will be around the same price as well. I'd even be interested in a 17 caliber using this case necked down. I bet that would reach close to 4000 fps in a bolt or semi automatic rifle.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Exactly. Looks like the ammo will be around the same price as well. I'd even be interested in a 17 caliber using this case necked down. I bet that would reach close to 4000 fps in a semi automatic rifle.

Off topic, but since you are thinking about these in rifles. Have you looked into the 204 Ruger? I know I’ve seen ARs chambered in it and it’s pushing 4200fps from a 24” barrel.

shootr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2015
    Mooresville
    Plainfiled shooting supply had afacebook post on this

Here's another rumor from Ruger.

4uG3n9a.jpg

https://www.kygunco.com/Blogs/

Definitely looking forward to this when it hits stores.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Ate they around $15 a box or less?

Unlikely on the .17 Rem and Fireballs. 204 Ruger starts around $15 for 32gr V-Max (4225fps) from Hornady.

FWIW, I haven’t been able to locate any 5.7x28 for $15/box. I found the Federal for $20/box though. Which is still cheaper than the 17s or 204s on per rd basis.

shootr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2015
    Mooresville
    Just saw the announcement from shoot point blank on this pistol, they say will hit stores in a couple weeks and price will be 649.00

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Just talked to my LGS he said won't be available for him until mid January. Said he cant even give me a price yet because his suppliers dont have one up yet.

He said he's going to buy him one too lol. I showed him a few YouTube reviews you all posted.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Just talked to my LGS he said won't be available for him until mid January. Said he cant even give me a price yet because his suppliers dont have one up yet.

He said he's going to buy him one too lol. I showed him a few YouTube reviews you all posted.

It's a fun gun to shoot, you won't be disappointed.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    No.

Not without armor piercing ammo, which is generally not available to anyone outside of LE or military.

Given that factoid, I have to wonder what the pistol/round is good for. Will it do anything that my CZ P10f 9mm pistol won't do?
    (Flush fit 19 + 1 capacity, about the same size pistol)

Not quite accurate. SS197SR, SS195LF, and SS198LF have all been demonstrated to penetrate SOME level iiia armor. Not all armor is created equal, iiia is just a minimum baseline rating for the armor, some stop threats that are well above the rating, and some just stop what they're rated for.

9mm from a 16" barrel with some FMJs will also defeat iiia armor in some circumstances.

The main thing about this gun from ruger that excites me is that it brings with it the potential for better 5.7 ammunition, making the five seven I've owned for over a decade actually a viable firearm. Because the loadings that are currently available, I have zero faith in. 9mm ball makes a bigger splash shooting into a water filled jug than any of the available 5.7 loadings currently available, which makes me highly skeptical of carrying it.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    It’s a Ruger, what else does it come with for the $449 more than its worth? Oh, and face shooting with 9MM defeats more armor than the civvy available loadings in 5.7

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    I've always been interested in the 5.7 round, ever since seeing the P90. In fact, a PS90 was the first firearm I ever shot, about a week after I moved to the US. I understand its intended purpose from a military standpoint (primary weapon for second line infantry), but that application does not, in my opinion, easily translate to civilian usage.

A typical carry 9mm has 15-17(+1) rounds in a magazine, giving the 5.7 pistols only a marginal capacity benefit, but the 5.7 round is more limited in what it can do in a self defense scenario. 22plinkster's video about it not having a lot of energy when it hits further out targets, and not having great terminal ballistics, is a concern, especially in winter months when an aggressor may be wearing multiple layers.

Add in the expense of the round, and that could lead to reduced time spent getting familiar with the firearm. I like the idea, I like to see the 5.7 getting some love, but, for now at least, I don't see it as much more than a novelty.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    And as a novelty, the PMR30 makes much more sense. 1/2 the cost, much cheaper and more available ammo, and 30rds. Is it less powerful? A little, but 30rds. Is it less accurate? Probably. Is it less reliable? Yeah, that too, although the latest issues are pretty good. 99% of reliability problems go away if you spend a few bucks on a 'good' magazine loader. Does any of that matter in a novelty firearm? Uh,.....nope. Accurate and reliable enough and just as much fun to shoot. The new Ruger changes the balance of the equation but prior to that you could have a PMR and a CMR with a pile of mags and tons of ammo for less than just a Five-seven.

That's what I ended up doing and have a total of a grand in the PMR(2 mags), the CMR(2 mags), and ten 'extra' mags. And from here I'm paying 1/3 per pow down the road. Are these primary firearms in any sense? Nope, but neither would a 5.7 be.

Top Bottom