• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SS 396

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 7, 2012
    Coatesville
    anyone interested i was at PSS yesterday Bob has one i fondled it very nice gun lightweight and seemed made very well typical Ruger, 599.00 1/2 the price of an FN
    Bob said he's only one in Indiana with one so far. Maybe gone already, it would have went home with me if i had not just bought a RIA VR80 semi auto shotgun off of him last week:): by the way that thing is a blast to shoot with the 19 round mag loaded with 12gauge 00 buck.

Sheepdog103

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 26, 2019
    Fishers
    Compared to a 5n7...

0f6Gr1J.jpg

eR06y9z.jpg

Is the grip shorter in length? LOVE the 5.7, but the grip was always too long for my short fingers despite it being narrow... looks like the Ruger might be smaller in actual circumference?

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Is the grip shorter in length? LOVE the 5.7, but the grip was always too long for my short fingers despite it being narrow... looks like the Ruger might be smaller in actual circumference?

The length of the grip shouldn't be an issue. The width can be. The FN uses thicker polymer magazines where as the Ruger uses thinner steel. Doing this can make the grip narrower. It does look thinner and one of the reviews I watched/read talked about this. I think they said it is a good deal thinner than the FN. But you'll have to try it out for yourself and see if it fits you.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The length of the grip shouldn't be an issue. The width can be. The FN uses thicker polymer magazines where as the Ruger uses thinner steel. Doing this can make the grip narrower. It does look thinner and one of the reviews I watched/read talked about this. I think they said it is a good deal thinner than the FN. But you'll have to try it out for yourself and see if it fits you.

Are you thinking of length as the vertical height or the distance from the front of the mag to the back?

I’ve had the same issue as sheepdog given the distance from the front of the grip to the back.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Are you thinking of length as the vertical height or the distance from the front of the mag to the back?

I’ve had the same issue as sheepdog given the distance from the front of the grip to the back.

I call the length of a grip the distance from basically the bottom of the slide to the bottom of the mag. A G**** 17 has a longer grip lenght than a G**** 26. Their grips are the same width or circumference or "how big around" it is.

EDIT:
    I guess it should be width, length and height know that I actually think about it.

See below.

bPnbQ1a.jpg

Green is height
    Yellow is width
    Red is length

I guess width and length could be switched.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    So the Ruger 57 has a thinner width (yellow) than the FN. Maybe a shorter length (red) too? The 5.7 is a long cartridge, which necessitates the longer length (red) grip. Being Ruger uses a physically smaller magazine due to thinner steel vs thicker polymer, the width and length could be a smaller dimension. Looking at the pictures, it is definitely narrower in the width (yellow).

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    So the Ruger 57 has a thinner width (yellow) than the FN. Maybe a shorter length (red) too? The 5.7 is a long cartridge, which necessitates the longer length (red) grip. Being Ruger uses a physically smaller magazine due to thinner steel vs thicker polymer, the width and length could be a smaller dimension. Looking at the pictures, it is definitely narrower in the width (yellow).

I agree on the width (yellow), I’ll be curious to see how they compare in length (red).

Thanks for the picture BTW, it helps visualize the terminology.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Was looking the velocity of 5.7x28 over and found it was approx 1750 fps from a pistol with a 40gr pill.
    I then checked out Underwood Ammo and found this round.
    https://www.underwoodammo.com/colle...-grain-xtreme-defender?variant=18785699004473
    65gr Xtreme Defender. 1800 fps velocity 468 Ft Lbs of energy. This world bring the 9mm to the same stage as the 5.7x28 velocity wise.
    How is the recoil? How is the accuracy? Cost per box of 20rds $28.99

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    But how does the round perform?

[video=youtube;kh_WxeOAcxo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh_WxeOAcxo[/video]

Compared to the .22 magnum.

[video=youtube;xBAQoxHcBq4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBAQoxHcBq4&t=611s[/video]

Sheepdog103

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 26, 2019
    Fishers
    Makes me wonder if a patent ran out? Kind of like the 2011... they were everywhere as soon as STI's patent expired... always wondered why there weren't more knock-offs of the 5.7... maybe it grows in design and popularity now?

Top Bottom