• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    I like Rugers, but I think I'll pass as well. The complaint about it biting your hand seems legitimate. The other big complaint, however, I don't see that big of a deal about. I have an HK that loads itself just like this gun. Every. Time. It always works, and it's even in the owner's manual that it will do that. I consider it to be a design feature, and it sure speeds things up when you're firing it fast on a timed course.

Chris

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    It reminds me of Bulgarian communist era monuments.

forget-your-past-the-communist-era-monuments-in-bulgaria-30.jpg

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    If Ruger wanted to sell a lot more guns then they should have made an SR9c Pro, just like the LC9s Pro. Get rid of the thumb safety, the mag disconnect and the loaded chamber indicator. Maybe even add a fiber optic sight or night sights. That would be a real winner.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If Ruger wanted to sell a lot more guns then they should have made an SR9c Pro, just like the LC9s Pro. Get rid of the thumb safety, the mag disconnect and the loaded chamber indicator. Maybe even add a fiber optic sight or night sights. That would be a real winner.

That could get me to switch if it happened.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    A buddy of mine has an SR9 and an SR40. He went to Rural King last week for an SR45 that was on sale for $399 and of course they were sold out. He wound up with one of these in .45 instead. He likes it so far and says it shoots well and fits him well. He has smaller hands and is missing about the last half inch of his trigger finger, so finding a pistol that fits him is no small feat. He EDC's a Shield, but really likes the Ruger SR's and the new American pistol.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Just fiddled with a .45 model today. The trigger is good, but the rest of it.....blah. The thing felt odd and cheap. And it was heavy for a polymer pistol. I didn't like it at all. It is not in the same class as an M&P or Glock, despite the fact that I think that's what Ruger was attempting. The SR9 feels much better, and actually feels like it should be the more expensive pistol.

C'mon, Ruger. Take the "safety" crap off of the SR pistols and give us some Pro models. Give me a Ruger SR45 Pro and I'll throw my money at ya!

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008

^^ This. I still don't get how the SR9 and American are supposed to be different or compliment one another.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis

Yup,

Instead they made a heavier different looking one that does the same thing.

Not too smart Ruger.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Yup,

Instead they made a heavier different looking one that does the same thing.

Not too smart Ruger.

While I agree that a "pro" version of the SR9c would be a great addition,, the RAP doesn't seem to be a replacement/competitor for the compact versions of the SR series. Instead, if anything, it would compete directly with the full-size versions of the SR series.

Fortunately enough for me, I've been planning a full-size pistol for my next purchase, so the RAP couldn't have been released at a better time.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    While I agree that a "pro" version of the SR9c would be a great addition,, the RAP doesn't seem to be a replacement/competitor for the compact versions of the SR series. Instead, if anything, it would compete directly with the full-size versions of the SR series.

Fortunately enough for me, I've been planning a full-size pistol for my next purchase, so the RAP couldn't have been released at a better time.

Doesn't the sr9c hold 17?

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville

They seem to be having little trouble selling guns. I did not see a single RAP at the Indy 1500 today, and I looked pretty hard. I saw a number of SR's, but they seemed to be selling too, as I saw several people buy them. There is speculation that the RAP, or a version of it, is going to be entered into the military's competition to replace the Beretta M9. If it were developed for that purpose, then it is easy to see why they would make it and go ahead and put it on the market. We'll see if that pans out, but again, it looks to me like they are selling the hell out of these things.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    It makes me long for my P85... At least a modern version of the P85. You knew you could always use it as a wheel chock.

:ingo:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Has anyone tried removing the thumb safeties from an SR9? The first couple of times I hurt my thumb and fingers when racking the slide in a hurry, I took a file to them to round-off the sharp parts and they're never used, but it would help of they didn't exist.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Has anyone tried removing the thumb safeties from an SR9? The first couple of times I hurt my thumb and fingers when racking the slide in a hurry, I took a file to them to round-off the sharp parts and they're never used, but it would help of they didn't exist.
    Nope, but I put Talon grip tape on top of my LCI so it blends in better. I can't stand the "loaded when up" inscribed on it. California stupidity at its best.

red0801

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2015
    Wakarusa
    I have an SR9E & absolutely LOVE IT! The trigger is crisp & after 2000 rounds I've yet to have a misfire, FTL or FTF, & I've shot everything from 100 rounds of steel case to hollow points.

Gander Mountain. :):

Seriously though, I'm going to have to check one of these out. Nice to see a Ruger pistol with no thumb safety. I like Ruger products, and would have an SR9 if it weren't for the thumb safety and gawd-awful loaded chamber indicator. This new Ruger American pistol looks....ummm....interesting? Maybe it just doesn't photograph well, but it's the first pistol I've ever seen that reminds me of the Pontiac Aztek. Still, I'd get one if the trigger and ergonomics are fantastic, especially if the price is right. Based on looks alone, though, I'd rather have an SR9 without the unnecessary thumb safety and ridiculous loaded chamber billboard.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point

I just recently installed one of the "Smooth It" kits from Galloway Precision and had my SR9 pretty much detail stripped to do it. The safety assembly is kinda horseshoe shaped and surrounds the fire control group, thus it can't simply removed. However, a cutoff wheel on a dremel can easily remove the tabs and the assembly can then be left in the "fire" position. Here is a thread with a good pic of the safety assembly......RugerForum.com ? View topic - Removing SR9c thumb safety?

The LCI is easily modded so it stays in place without being raised when a round is in the chamber....drive out the roll pin with a 1/16" roll pin punch and use a cutoff wheel on a dremel to remove the little tab that contacts the chambered round.....takes about 15 minutes to do.

And lastly, the mag disco is very easily removed ...there's at least a few vids on U-Tube showing how to do this....you'll need an 1/8" roll pin punch if I remember right and about 5 minutes of your time.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I just recently installed one of the "Smooth It" kits from Galloway Precision and had my SR9 pretty much detail stripped to do it. The safety assembly is kinda horseshoe shaped and surrounds the fire control group, thus it can't simply removed. However, a cutoff wheel on a dremel can easily remove the tabs and the assembly can then be left in the "fire" position. Here is a thread with a good pic of the safety assembly......RugerForum.com ? View topic - Removing SR9c thumb safety?

The LCI is easily modded so it stays in place without being raised when a round is in the chamber....drive out the roll pin with a 1/16" roll pin punch and use a cutoff wheel on a dremel to remove the little tab that contacts the chambered round.....takes about 15 minutes to do.

And lastly, the mag disco is very easily removed ...there's at least a few vids on U-Tube showing how to do this....you'll need an 1/8" roll pin punch if I remember right and about 5 minutes of your time.

Excellent information! Thank you!

Top Bottom