The New Speed Sights for Glock,Sig Sauer,XD,XDS,XDM,--Anybody have them??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    In a prior life, I built a lot of sights for competitive shooters. Thousands of them. What worked best was a bright front sight, whether that be polished brass, gold, fibre optic, something radioactive, etc. I built less than a gross of rear sights. Now, I don't know if I can interpret those activities into a meaningful observation without a bunch of folks saying I don't know what I'm talking about, but if I could, I would say that the front sight is the ticket. Get a good front sight for fast target acquisition....then practice a bunch....and don't worry so much about the back of the gun. Good grip and muscle memory will take care of that with practice.

I suspect you're correct. The size of the rear notch matters a bit for the type of shooting you're doing, but the front sight is doing most of the heavy lifting. I suspect the popularity of Dawson Precision among folks I consider excellent shots is a prime example.

I'd love for those meprolight things to work as advertised. I think it'd allow a faster pressout. I'm just skeptical they will be precise enough and that "bubble level" centered will actually be faster than centering a front sight. Feels and guesses don't give us information. Targets and timers give information. We'll see.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I had a good friend who was a cowboy shooter out of South Carolina. He was fairly good in his class and was a whiz with a lever action rifle. 10 shots cycled in a few seconds.

Anyway, he went out to Ben Avery range one day in Phoenix with an elder uncle who was giving him, in advance of his likely expiration within a short time, a nice AR15. It had a standard post front sight and a ghost ring a little larger than a typical peep sight. At the hundred yard steel, he was whacking plates just about as fast as you can pull the trigger in a Nevada Sweep. He hit every target, cuz that's what cowboy rifle shooters are taught to do. So, his uncle, now seeing all this going on yells at him "SLOW DOWN". My friend said: "Why?".

Now, as I said, he is a pretty good shooter, but a ghost ring sight focuses everything on that front sight and they work very well. Put it in the hands of a capable shooter (experience and practice) and the rear sight disappears. Front sight and target. That's it.

I don't know if that anecdote says anything about pistol shooting, but I think it might.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I Now, as I said, he is a pretty good shooter, but a ghost ring sight focuses everything on that front sight and they work very well. Put it in the hands of a capable shooter (experience and practice) and the rear sight disappears. Front sight and target. That's it.

I don't know if that anecdote says anything about pistol shooting, but I think it might.

Same concept. There's different size apertures for different types of shooting. The AR comes equipped with a rear that lets you flip between big or little for that very reason. Distances, lighting conditions, etc. dictate which is better. Same-same for the ratio of the width of the front sight post to the rear sight notch for pistol shooting.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    I hate it when people are bashed for asking a simple question. It think it is rude.

I have looked at these sights again and again. I have asked about them from time to time and tried to find stuff on Youtube. There is not much out there, but I still think they seem to be at least interesting and worth a try. I have not forked over the cash to try them, but they make total sense to me. I am just not sure how they will really be. I am not so sure they will be night and day different, but I think they could give big dots a run for their money. They might not be quite as fast, but I think they could be more accurate especially at a distance of 25 yards plus.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    By the way, these sights are not really all that new. They have been around for about 3 years or so.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    It's simple. You're brand new and most of your posts are about a product. "Astroturfing" is where companies make shill accounts to seem like people inquiring about the product in order to generate "buzz" without having to pay the site for advertising and to disguise the fact it is advertising at all. We tend to trust "neutral sources" more than someone we know is trying to sell something.

Chez asked a straight forward question. Do you work for the company. A simple "no, I'm just interested" would suffice to show you're not a spambot. Getting upset about a simple question, given that spambots and astroturfing occur CONSTANTLY is uncalled for.
    This. Exactly.

OP, a simple "no" would have ended it. The combination of an unknown new member, with multiple posts on the same product, linking the product website and using the same marketing verbiage from the site was certainly enough to throw a red flag.

As for the sights, meh. Shooting is 90% software. I'm extremely skeptical of any hardware that claims to be a shortcut to proficiency.

These types of gimmicky sights (and there are many of them) always claim to be "faster" by drawing your attention. Competent shooters really only see as much of the site picture as they need to get hits, which at distances where speed is a factor, isn't very much (if any). These types of sites designed with bright over-sized shapes to attract the eye often cover too much of the target for precision at longer distances.

Last edited:

KANER88

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    indianapolis
    yes I said what the company claimed to be able to accomplish. just wanted to know if anyone else ever used them since I thought they looked interesting and they were different from what everyone else uses. So thought id take a stab. I'm not now nor ever plan to be into competitions. I just plan to keep myself and family alive in a potential defensive scenario as well as enjoy the occasional trip to the range. thanks all for the info everyone!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jstan
    Top Bottom