The next two years...Sell, Hold, or Buy?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Now, I know one can hold many things as investments (artwork, vehicles, etc) and that doesn't necessarily make one a dealer, but I wonder if the whole trying to take an investment loss on guns might not open you to some concerns about not having your FFL. Just a question for the tax attorneys or others around here who may know.

I do not believe that the IRS is necessarily going to care what the "investment vehicle" is. They are only going to look at the dollars involved.

I wouldn't think the FFL issue would come into play as you aren't operating "as a business" but rather as a private investor. Of course, the BATFE may try to see it differently but a guy who gets the vast majority of his income as a medical doctor buying three (3) AR15's in a certain year and selling them four (4) years later is clearly not acting as a business.

As with everything consulting with an expert (which I am not) would be prudent if large dollar amounts are involved.

Regards,

Doug

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Things have changed in my life recently, for the better. So I sold my AR and all my ammo. I don't regret it. There are other more important things for me right now :)

That being said, if things were different, I'd probably be buying right now, if I had the money.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    There are some good deals out there right now, especially when you look at .40 S&Ws. People are not into the .40 right now and the prices are down on those. I don't think prices are down on collectibles though. Like others have said, it's not a great time to sell right now unless it's something that's rare and desireable. But, if you have been wanting to finally buy an AR, now is the time.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    We all should buy, buy, buy! Prices are low, stock is plentiful, and we should all do our part to make sure that the gun makers, ammo makers, dealers, etc. can be profitable enough to stay in business. Just my $.02.

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    I'm not sure what I want to buy yet, but I do want to finish my AR while the prices are reasonable. The market is flooded with AR stuff, but if a mass shooting happens then things will disappear quickly along with ammo and reloading supplies. If you plan on selling I'd wait until election time.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Guns are tools, I buy them as such not as an investment.

So for me nothing changes. I'm always buying and occasionally selling/trading when I want something different

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I will continue to buy as I have before Sandy Hook and since . You never know when the next big incident will happen that drives people into panic mode. Buy a little each paycheck to put back and you will have a nice stockpile for the future. That means you can still train and shoot when everyone else is sitting on their ammo because they cannot get anymore.
    I am always on the lookout for opportunity buys on guns and ammo.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Well, I don't sell, nor foresee any circumstance where I would need to sell to obtain cash. I am retired with a good enough income and savings to be comfortable if not rich. My youngest son and I collect ~ he is nearing 40 and also economically stable. We have collected enough firearms, mags and Ammo that we really don't "need" anything. But we continue to purchase when a decent buy is available in either firearms, ammo, reloading supplies, and accessories. We are not really into any specific firearms or caliber however do have a fairly large collection of firearms from the wars. We have discussed purchasing a decent 50 BMG rifle, might do so if the price is right. Then we would have to buy ammo, reloading supplies and dies for that caliber. We always keep an eye out for a great buy!

I do think there will be quite a bit lower prices in the near future as many dealers have increased their inventory expecting a "Hillary" future and they will want to at least recoup most of their investment. However then I think prices will stabilize for the next 3-4 years, and maybe longer if the political climate doesn't change.

knutty

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 5, 2016
    Noblesville
    For the next 3 years we get to be picky and opportunistic. Im holding off on big ammo purchases for another couple years, I think we will see some great prices then.

migunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 4, 2011
    DeMotte
    It is apparent from the gun forums, magazines, and websites that I consume that there is a great deal of optimism within the gun owner's community in conjunction with election of President Trump.

In addition to that, I keep seeing signs of the "gun market" relaxing...guns that used to get scooped up at $1000 now languish on the classifieds at $800, Oly is closing its doors, ammo is plentiful (if not as cheap as pre-panic days), and I can find a $600 AR on the shelf at every one of my favored LGS.

So, is this recent trend toward a "buyer's market" indicative of a new golden era of firearms ownership, or just a quick market adjustment? I think there is a possibility that a Trump presidency will solidify support on the left, and the next Midterm elextion could be disastrous. On the other hand, I think there is a possibility that permanent progress could be made in these next two years, opening up the potential for renewed "halcyon days" ahead.

What does INGO think? Buy now...wait and see...sell the entire collection while there is still some value left?

Kinda like should I buy or sell STOCKS. Easy, Buy low and Sell HIGH ! Seriously, if you buy and sell for a living, you need to continue to buy and sell. If you are like most of us, Buy what you want when you want it. Sell it when you are done with it.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Never buy guns for investments , with the exception being older "collectors" guns like say a Python for example. Buy guns because you want one or think it's cool it is more or less a "hobby" and should be done for fun and not for cash, if you want to make money with firearms get an FFL and open a shop or something

Right now prices are down and really high quality firearms can be had for the lowest prices in years it is a fantastic time to buy

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Buy all the ammo and components you have the room to stock. Then shoot that ammo in classes to learn how to better run your mind and gear.

1988-4551

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    I think we're in a holding pattern right now. Want to get dies and molds squared away for everything we have, some components too then we'll reexamine.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I don't plan on selling. I bought pretty hot and heavy up until the election. Not anything too serious since then. It's definitely a buyers market now, IMHO.

It's nice to see plenty of AR's on the shelves for decent prices.

Top Bottom