• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Here's my review of the beer I just drank!

Gruit [LoFs]
    Ale brewed with Bog Myrtle, Horehound, Yarrow, Wormwood, & Elderflower
    New Belgian Brewing
    Fort Collins, CO
    6.6%abv

This is not beer, it's gruit, or at least the recipe is (historically speaking). There are no hops; instead various herbs are used to add bitters to the brew. From the list above you might be thinking, "wtf?" Well that's the kind of shi--stuff people used before hops! Light, almost crisp, herbal-ly, and just sweet enough but finishing dry. This makes me want to brew my own gruit; with plantain, echinacea, maypop, chicory, wood sorrel, hyssop, dandelion, herb robert, burdock root, comfrey, stinging nettles, lamb quarters, and mugwort. :yesway:
    :twocents:

Boba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    400 Divine Rabbits
    Ale brewed with Agave Nectar
    Greenbush Brewing Co.
    Sawyer, MI
    6.3% abv

A bit too much on the sweet side, with an absence of flavor.

Boba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    pardon me while I pick up this slack...

Grätzer Ale [LoFs]
    New Belgium & 3 Floyds
    4.5% abv

For the record, I'm so over the zombie everything fad... BUT!... enter yet another collaborative LoFs brew. Based on the Polish beer using primarily oak-smoked wheat; a regionally protected beer (in 1922) originating in the middle ages that died out by 1993... reanimated and brought back into existence. This thing pours black! As black as the magic that resurrected this zombie of a brew that no light may penetrate it. A burnt umber micro fine head that slowly creeps back into the murk, only to be re-invigorated and brought back to life with barely a quiet stimulus movement of the glass.
    Aroma-wise this is so light. It doesn't feel like you're sitting around a campfire like many do. This smoke does not get in your eyes.
    Mouthfeel is fairly watery but thicker. When cold, almost "refreshing," in a weird way.
    It moves across the palate interestingly; like an upright triangle. The sour creates the base as it moves along the sides and back while the subtle sweet malt lightly registers at the tip top of the tongue and follows suit. Over all finishing dry and clean. Neither overpowering. Surprisingly well balanced for a zombie... beer. Flavor reminds me of the crust from burnt toast. The smoke slowly accumulates on the tongue by the time you finish the glass. I could see this going well with a Neapolitan style pizza, a rare steak, cheeses, brains, damn I'm hungry!
    How many breweries does it take to make a good grätzer? Two apparently in this case. No joke. :yesway:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Not a zombie...........an Eddie.
    Got a few bottles of Iron Maiden's "Trooper".
    Pic from the web

Smooth, comes across as an IPA "light". I was hoping for a little more flavor, or maybe complex flavor.
    Decent, but nothing to get crazy over.

Guess Double Crooked Tree has ruined me.

trooper.jpg

Last edited:

Boba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Denver Pale Ale
    English style DPA
    Great Divide Brewing Co.
    Denver, CO
    5.5% abv

Another addition to the GD review series. Good light nose. English style, so it's more malty as opposed to American style which tend to be more hoppy. Just enough hops to clean the palate with no bitter stick. A good expansion beer for those who are only used to lagers and pilsners but are looking to branch out. A bit more complexity and mouthfeel without being overbearing. A good next step up.:yesway:

Boba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Stone Pale Ale
    Stone Brewing Co.
    Escondido, San Diego County, CA
    5.4% abv

I'll be damned. I was expecting some bitter behemoth of a pale but those arrogant bastards at Stone have totally put the whammy on me here.
    A more warm color and head with a pleasant aroma. The malt is less than the DPA above but you get just enough malt, the right amount of hops and not over done. This would go well with so many foods; stand up to and not overpower. Perfect with a burger! A great dinner beer. Good job Stone! Certainly a stand out back in '96 when they first released it, but just as relevant today.
    If you haven't delved into the world of Stone yet this could be a good entry point before you are committed to the unapologetic nature of their mainstays. There's so much going on in this beer. It can make most pale ales taste like lagers, but is still so well balanced and smooth. Even IPA drinkers will appreciate this pale ale.
    I'm not a fan of cult fads, in fact I'm anti-hype-fads. And I've tried Stone varieties that I did not enjoy; read "too freakin' bitter." It's like Stone precipitates these beer drinking automatons that have to be "so hard core," or, "so metal!" regardless what swill they pour down their gullets. Well I love me some metal, but I'm still anti...everything, by nature.
    So subconsciously I was ready to dislike this brew, but hold on there! This is impressive. Highly enjoyable. I would drink this any day of the week, damn it. Bastards!!! :yesway::yesway: They should rename this "Bad Ass Pale Ale."

Last edited:

Boba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Polestar Pilsner
    Left Hand Brewing Co.
    Longmont, CO
    5.5% abv

Light Sweet aroma. Sweet and light taste. Almost Lemony. Full, watery, just enough carbonation and finishes pretty clean. I should've drank this before the ales. Maybe I'll try this again and edit this review at a later date. In the meantime...:yesway:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Polestar Pilsner
    Left Hand Brewing Co.
    Longmont, CO
    5.5% abv

Light Sweet aroma. Sweet and light taste. Almost Lemony. Full, watery, just enough carbonation and finishes pretty clean. I should've drank this before the ales. Maybe I'll try this again and edit this review at a later date. In the meantime...:yesway:
    :scratch: Those two adjectives seem like contradictions.

Boba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    :scratch: Those two adjectives seem like contradictions.
    Fair enough. Let me expound. Full flavor (for a pils), watery mouth feel (up front if I remember correctly). I know that review was brief, and unfortunately at the end of my evening; post alternate beers. In hindsight, I should've done the Polestar first, then the pales. More and more I'm considering like comparisons or even "verses" reviews for a change of pace. We'll see. Thanks for the comment.:cheers:

Boba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Monarch
    White Beer
    Two Brothers Brewing Co.
    Warrenville, IL
    4.5 % abv

My next new favorite brewery just may be Two Brothers. This is a great summer white beer. Belgian-style white brewed with unmalted wheat, oats, and traditional coriander and orange peel. You can lightly smell the spice. Taste is light, clean, and can I say "fresh?" Reminds me of a trippel due to the coriander but not so high octane. Not overly syrupy, and not overly yeasty like most summer beers. Refreshing summer white beer. Just in time.:yesway::yesway:

Boba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Organic Saison de Wench
    Farmhouse Ale brewed with botanicals
    Bison Brewing
    Ukiah, CA
    6% abv

And if you prefer a higher octane summer refresher, look no further than your farmhouse pale ales. Damn! You're not kidding, "botanicals." The first thing from this seasonal that gets you is the rose petals. Not so much in the aroma but from your first swig. More pronounced straight from the bottle, opening up more and tamer in a glass. Just enough sweet malt tempered by soft hops, as the rose, hibiscus, and lemongrass keeps things dry and summery. The rose dominates, the hibiscus... I think is a much more subtle flavor and harder to pinpoint honestly, and the lemongrass adds a slight tart, but not much lemon. I think some people will hate this. They'll complain about drinking their grandmothers soap or perfume, but I see this in a more creative aspect. It's not overwhelming and offensive. The dishes this would accent are numerous and could be incredible and creative on the palate. Like a cucumber salad for one. Just use your imagination. Likely to appeal more to your women friends perhaps. I've read some people get a funky yeast, but I'm not getting that at all from my bottle. Hardly much yeast for a saison in my opinion here. Not a session beer, but I like this... and I love Bison! Their organic IPA is top notch. I just wish my local establishments carried more of them regularly. And thank god for organic beers.:yesway:

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    new-holland-dragons-milk-review.preview.jpg

I've become quite partial to this, I have a bottle in the fridge that might be calling to me later

Boba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Amazon Princess
    IPA
    People's Brewing Company
    Lafayette, IN
    6.5% abv

Pours a deep amber with a touch of rust... like the bronze skin of an Amazonian Princess. Bubbly head with an encouraging pour. Sweet malty, but hopped up to balance (a la Simcoe). Leaning toward the sweet side (a la Pale and Caramalts). Bodied and sometimes frothy across the palate... like an Amazonian Princess. Citrusy grapefruit. The sweetness gets more poignant as the glass warms but the hops keeps things nicely tight on the end... like an... well, good beer here folks.

Boba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Collective Distortion IPA
    Brewed & Flavored with Elderberries & Coriander
    Stone Brewing Co.
    Escondido, CA
    9.3% abv

A collaborative effort between Stone, Kyle Hollingsworth (of The String Cheese Incident), and Keri Kelli (of Alice Cooper); hence the musical "distortion" theme. "Amplify," everything! and "crank it up!" I get it, I get it. Pours a dense bubbled head and keeps bubbling long after the pour. Thick lacing on the glass. Not exactly a clear glass either as the bubbles keep coming. Hop aroma is nice; strong. It's very high octane, and although not reminiscent of nail polish remover, it's still a bit overdone and daunting. Mouthfeel is medium full to light. It's very sweet. Not syrupy at all but still quite sweet up front. This bomber may be the only thing you might drink in a night; hopefully coupled with exceptionally salted foods to counterbalance. I keep thinking there is some good flavors going on here but it's quickly overshadowed by the high alcohol content (which normally I would not mind) but without food to give your palate a break, the tongue becomes anesthetized, numbed, to further stimuli. I wanted to really like this. Oh well, I guess this beer is perfect. Perfectly not my thing.

Boba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Elder Betty
    Elderberry Weiss
    Magic Hat Brewing Co
    South Burlington, VT
    5.5% abv

Summer seasonal wheat ale with extras. Aroma has a slight berry-esque component. Taste has a certain distinct "berry" flavoring. I'm not so convinced it's actual elderberries though. Medium to light watery mouthfeel. Clear golden amber color. Light enough and balanced enough to enjoy multiples. Nothing so magical as to ritualize a sacrifice over, but I see their target market might be trendy pagans and wiccans. Almost novel, almost cult, but "natural flavors," let's be honest is almost true... but not. Decent swill with a palpable amount of artifice!

Boba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Unapologetic IPA
    Beachwood, Heretic, Stone Collaboration
    Stone Brewing Co.
    Escondido, CA
    8.8% abv

Let me dispense with the usual histrionics and cut to the chase. This is good. Holy moly. My initial response is where on earth does this fit into my canon of greats. Be forewarned, this is a big hoppin' IPA. If you're a hop-head (read Hopslam, Zombie Dust, etc) this is for you. But it is unique. the sweetness drops in mid palate, extends and reverberates with the bitter hops that sustains, longer than normal. The mixture of hops is complex and is reflected in the flavor. Wow. And it changes like a chameleon as the glass warms. Obviously not for everyone but damn, I like this. Any hops snob who doesn't like this is a brand idiot, poser, or daft. No apologies necessary, thank you very much.:yesway::yesway:

Top Bottom