Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Hop Kitchen #6
    FOCOllaboration American Pale Ale
    New Belgium & Odell Brewing Co.
    6.7% abv

Here's a winner. Pale Ale fans who appreciate hop forward beers will dig. Nice hop profile. It's a good mix and presents well. Faintly sweet. Flavorful with a nice body. Centennial, Cascade, and Citra hops. Should also appeal to IPA drinkers of course. Fulfilling enough to enjoy one bomber, or make a go at it with a second. :yesway:
    :twocents:

Boba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Chocolate Oak Aged YETI
    Imperial Stout
    Great Divide Brewing Co.
    Denver, CO
    9.5% abv

Whoa. What a revelation. A stellar addition to the GD series! A new discovery! Yes, I tell you, it is real!! This abominable brew can be found beyond the Himalayans and recommended to all you fellow Cro-magnans. Not only will this Imperial Stout put hair on your chest but it'll make you walk upright to boot. A robust character linked with complexities most humans fail to grasp. Alma searching for the elusive big-foot has brought me to this! Missing hops link to the preponderance of bitter cocoa nibs, allowing the idea of vanilla from the oak to peak an interest not far from a stated gourmet chocolate bar. A touch of cayenne begs the question, "what if mythical great beers, like hominoids, do exist?" They do, true believers! A beer that would tear the arms off ANY other human stout, and make Lloyd Pye roll in his grave. I speak only the truth, if you are evolved enough to handle this realization. (I blame hammering down this 9.5%):yesway::yesway:

keep your eyes open for this beast

Boba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Brainless on Cherries
    Belgian Style Ale brewed with cherries and aged in oak barrels
    Epic Brewing
    11% abv

Fair, sweet aroma, with a faintness of cherry. Sparse bubblage and a watery mouthfeel. Light. Sweet malt with a mild amount of cherry taste. Not dark sweet cherry but more tart-ish cherry, although the over all flavor is not tart at all. Hardly feels like your drinking an 11%. This is good. Sweet, dry, maybe some tannins after a while. I suppose I'll need to try their Brainless Belgian this is based on to compare.

Boba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Pumpkinhead
    Wheat Ale with... guess!
    Shipyard Brewing Co.
    Portland, ME
    4.5% abv

This was recommended a while back so I thought I would add it to my annual pumpkin beer sampling. I must say this is good at first swig. Pours a clear bubbling lighter amber. Aroma has a distinct pumpkin pie nose to it. Pumpkin flavor ("flavor") is good, and balanced with a subdued amount of spices upfront, then quickly fades leaving a more pronounced spiced profile; some cinnamon, and plenty of nutmeg. Better on the cold side. Decent. At 4.5% you could enjoy a few of these. I also noticed at our local shop a special Shipyard pumpkin bomber this season I may also have to try.:yesway:

But there is only ONE great pumpkin, Charlie Brown.

Boba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Stone Enjoy By 10.31.14

Enjoy By 10.31.14
    double IPA
    Stone Brewing Co.
    Escondido, CA
    9.4% abv

Hahahahahahahahaha. Find this. Buy this! Before it's too late. :yesway::yesway:

Boba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    White Hatter
    Belgian Style WPA
    New Holland Brewing
    Holland, MI
    5.5 %abv

Pours a cloudy light brown or dirty tea color with plenty of trub/lees falling and floating. Meow don't be scared. I might be highly suspect of a white beer that didn't have yeast. Meow-a-days who knows what they might use to impart flavor. Meow I know what you're thinking, "eww yeasty sediment," but hold on meow. Some Belgians even drink the yeast from the bottom of a bottle conditioned brew as a dessert. Meow I'm not recommending you do that but, drink with your mouth not your eyes! A very soft malt. Sweet, but not so much as to be cloying. A touch of coriander heightens the floral notes... meow I'm getting chamomile... and likely a subtle note of a citrus hops to clean the palate. My partner, the self proclaimed white ale snob, declares this is a damn good white ale! Well balanced enough to enjoy all the flavors. The hops come out more as the glass warms up. Meow get out there and try one for your self! :yesway:
    Meow!

Boba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Prairie Path
    Golden Ale
    Two Brothers Brewing Co.
    Warrenville, IL
    5.1% abv

Frothy head. Nice light golden ale. Crafted to remove gluten. Huh, wouldn't have guessed at all. Decent malt profile for a golden; reminiscent of a German lager. This would go great with anything, and not over power or compete. Great summer ale. I wish I had another. Two Brothers strikes again! Our neighbors to the West have yet to produce a beer, even if it was not my style, that I felt was not well done. Top of the list - gluten removed beer. (See other gluten removed/free beer reviews: #289, #296):yesway:

Boba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Flat Jack Pumpkin
    Ale brewed with pumpkin and spices
    Flat 12 Bierwerks
    Indianapolis, IN
    5.7 %abv

Whoa, I don't remember shaking the bottle, but this thing foamed up like a Son of a "B." I sip a bit from the bottle while I wait for my glass to foam down a bit. Hmm, something about this. Not knocking my socks of. A bit sweet malt up front... bittery-tangy at the end. Not much pumpkin. Mostly spice; ie. nutmeg, and a lot of it! Too much in my opinion. Almost dusty, or reminiscent of an old gym sock. I'll let it warm up and see what transpires... eh, meh. I wanted to like this being form Indy and all. Nice try, just not gourd enough.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    ...for celebration. All hail the Pumking.

Aww, yeah.:yesway::yesway:

STOP IT! I'm at work. :(

But seriously, Pumking is one one of the better ones out there - nice level of spice without being overpowering. However, like all Southern Tier, have your insulin shot on standby.

Boba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Oktoberfest Lager
    Lakefront Brewery, Inc.
    Milwaukee, WI
    5.8% abv

It is October! Pours a deep copper. Carmel-y malts. Classic German style. More body than your traditional lager of course. Starts out, okay but I must say it gets better as the glass warms. Room temp may be the way to go here. Good with my dinner.

Boba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Warlock
    Imperial Stout brewed with Pumpkins & such and such
    Southern Tier Brewing Co.
    Lakewood, NY
    8.6% abv

Their Blackwater Series. Pours dark! Not much head at all. To be honest, tastes like Pumking but with some stout-ness to round it out. It's Pumking for stout drinkers! Nuff said. Enjoy stouties! The king has got you covered. All hail! :yesway::yesway:

Happy halloween!

Boba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Escape to Colorado IPA
    Epic Brewing, UT & CO
    6.2% abv

Upon escaping from the can this pours a cloudy light amber. It has a lovely floral hop nose. Very pleasant and smells great. Hits the tongue smooth with just the right amount of sweetness, and then finishes with a nice hop profile (Mosaic). I get grape fruit notes. This is real good. Wish I had another. I always appreciate the opportunity for a good quality canned beer option. Keep 'em coming! :yesway:

Boba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Showdown Rye IPA
    Imperial IPA with rye!
    Great Divide Brewing Co
    Denver, CO
    8.3%
    abv

Yum yum. This reminds me of DFH 90 minute in a way, but with a bit more concise and smooth defined articulation towards the end. I see a "showdown" in the future! :draw::yesway:

Boba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Wee Heavy; Claymore Scotch Ale
    Great Divide Brewing
    Denver, CO
    7.7% abv

Malt-a malty malt malt malt. If you don't mind sweet this warms up nice. slightly roasted, burnt, caramel-y, smokey... malt. There is a subtle bitter towards the end, which I assume is some hops.

Boba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    unfiltered MASTODON: The Hunter
    German Lager
    Mahr's Brau
    Bamberg, Germany
    (imported by Shelton Brothers, Belchertown, MA)
    5.2% abv

Pours a deep amber with not much head. Consistent light bubbling to the end in my glass. It's a straight forward German Lager tasting beer. Smooth, kind of watery, with just enough carbonation at the end. Somewhat sweet but dry, and not bitter or skunky as some lagers present at the end. Nothing that necessarily stands out, other than the label. This was a gift due to my interest in the metal band MASTODON. The label sports the artwork from their album The Hunter. I've been out of the music scene for a while and hadn't realized the thing to do was for bands to collaborate on their own beers. Although now that I think of it, I'm reminded of the New Belgium CLUTCH sour ale I had awhile back. Well I was clueless so I had to investigate. Holy crap! It's pervasive. Bands are now into merchandising all sorts of spirits, wines, and beers. Despite some cool (and some not so cool) packaging from so many bands, this trend begs the question, "Is it any good, or necessary?" That aside... this MASTODON lager was introduced as a limited run at a German festival back in 2009. I hope this bottle isn't that old. Not amazing, but doesn't knock my socks off either. They've apparently released a Double Black IPA last year. Would I turn down an opportunity to try one? No, but do I feel compelled to search it out? Not really. This trend seems like kitschy meets evil merch marketing for your all mighty dirty fan dollar. I'm skeptical.

Boba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Royal Jamaican: (alcoholic) ginger beer

Royal Jamaican
    (alcoholic) ginger beer
    Beer brewed with ginger
    RJ Rums & Spirits
    Kingston 11, Jamaica
    (imported by International Distillers & Vinters, Everett, WA)
    4.4% abv

Pours a cloudy, almost milky, pale lemony yellow. No real head to speak of. This may be more of a malt beverage brewed with ginger as opposed to a beer per se, but I'm not sure. No real hop aroma or taste to speak of, just ginger. This is okay if you're a fan of ginger, and I am... big time, in all forms. I love a good ginger beer (normally non-alcoholic) but this is on a whole new level. The finest Jamaican ginger in this brew starts of light and sweet, and flows smooth and densely bubbled over the palate, with some ginger aromas rocketing up the nose. And just when you think it's time take another swig, it begins! The intensity of the ginger, from out of nowhere, builds from nothing to a crescendo of heat that is a bit unexpected, but not unwelcome. Damn this is good! With the glass empty, the heat lingers on the palate. Light, sweet, smooth, intense, strong. This might have some medicinal value aside from the alcohol, it's so good. If you're a pansy, leave this be on the shelf (so I can pick them up later). Must find more! :yesway::yesway:

Top Bottom