• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    half a second??? LAME!!! why isn't he using the new '1 second per point down' penalty that Joyce and Larry Vickers and John Moses Browning all mandate we use? :D

That is a neat drill...I think I'll try it!

on a side note, I think some drills are created by ammo manufacturers and reloading supply companies because you could easily burn 500 rounds per outing if you did all the drills the big personalities have out there!

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    half a second??? LAME!!! why isn't he using the new '1 second per point down' penalty that Joyce and Larry Vickers and John Moses Browning all mandate we use? :D

That is a neat drill...I think I'll try it!

on a side note, I think some drills are created by ammo manufacturers and reloading supply companies because you could easily burn 500 rounds per outing if you did all the drills the big personalities have out there!

The magic is in part 2 :) .

Side note. The reason I think I was so bonkers about cz was the double action first shot. To get that shot right you have to have a good hard weak hand grip and you have to really stay with your front sight, when you do that a lot of other good things happen. Once I got comfortable with the first shot I went back to my old sloppy habits and my old results, now if I can just not do that :) .

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    The magic is in part 2 :) .

To get that shot right you have to have a good hard weak hand grip and you have to really stay with your front sight, when you do that a lot of other good things happen. .

Actually that is the WINNING formula for EVERY shot DA or SA.
    Just saying.:D

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Actually that is the WINNING formula for EVERY shot DA or SA.
    Just saying.:D

If I know I should do something, that is level one motivation.

If I know I have to do something then that is a whole nuther level.

It is a character flaw.

Gripping the gun too lightly with the weak hand I think is an easy thing to fall into and it is never the first thing I think of when things are not going well. Not sure if that is a common problem.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    If I know I should do something, that is level one motivation.

If I know I have to do something then that is a whole nuther level.

It is a character flaw.

Gripping the gun too lightly with the weak hand I think is an easy thing to fall into and it is never the first thing I think of when things are not going well. Not sure if that is a common problem.

the weak-hand/support-hand thing is probably the most common fatal flaw shooters have. I know my grip tends to fade over the course of an extended string of fire. If there are small pauses, to reload or move, then I'm ok, but to stand in one spot static and rip off round after round the grip fades. I know there are plenty of strengthening exercises to do and that helps tons.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    the weak-hand/support-hand thing is probably the most common fatal flaw shooters have. I know my grip tends to fade over the course of an extended string of fire. If there are small pauses, to reload or move, then I'm ok, but to stand in one spot static and rip off round after round the grip fades. I know there are plenty of strengthening exercises to do and that helps tons.

I need to get going with the gripper.
    Biggest problem I have with it is just remembering to do it I think, the subconscious guy keeps just wanting to do what is most comfortable.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I need to get going with the gripper.
    Biggest problem I have with it is just remembering to do it I think, the subconscious guy keeps just wanting to do what is most comfortable.

You got that right! There are times when I don't feel like I actually have enough gun to grip. I run a Gen 4 Glock with no extra backstraps or anything so it is about as slim as you can get but it feels good. But once in a while it just feels like I need more 'gun' to grab to get more of my support hand on there. Other times it feels fine so I haven't figured out what that is all about!

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    https://youtu.be/0KnA3SD8IYA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KnA3SD8IYA&feature=youtu.be

Grip and recoil control stuff.

Next time we have a match I'm going to try & get somebody to cell phone vid my muzzle control (it is not as easy as it looks on the vid) . Would be interesting if 4 or 5 regular shooters did this, give us a feel for whether we have a strength or weakness & a baseline to try and improve.

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    https://youtu.be/0KnA3SD8IYA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KnA3SD8IYA&feature=youtu.be

Grip and recoil control stuff.

Next time we have a match I'm going to try & get somebody to cell phone vid my muzzle control (it is not as easy as it looks on the vid) . Would be interesting if 4 or 5 regular shooters did this, give us a feel for whether we have a strength or weakness & a baseline to try and improve.

I've actually been thinking about this recently as well. Really almost need to setup a camera of some sort (GoPro or whatever) on a tripod and just run odd drills on timer to get a good view of "muzzle control" under something besides slow deliberate "correct technique" fire.

On the grip thing, I've been working on relaxing my SH grip a bit, while adjusting WH to compensate without Vader deathgripping. Not that this is unheard of, but the Glock definitely fits differently than my other guns in hand and I'm trying to see if minor grip adjustments will fix my left drifting shots. They print pretty well vertically, just not so centered.

IMAG0542_1[1].jpg

Last edited:

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I've actually been thinking about this recently as well. Really almost need to setup a camera of some sort (GoPro or whatever) on a tripod and just run odd drills on timer to get a good view of "muzzle control" under something besides slow deliberate "correct technique" fire.

On the grip thing, I've been working on relaxing my SH grip a bit, while adjusting WH to compensate without Vader deathgripping. Not that this is unheard of, but the Glock definitely fits differently than my other guns in hand and I'm trying to see if minor grip adjustments will fix my left drifting shots. They print pretty well vertically, just not so centered.

Did get a chance to cell phone vid (friend, selfie would have been a challenge) a 5 shot Bill drill. Need to work on locking my wrists and doing a better job of getting the shoulder muscles involved and then try it again, too much flex at the wrists even with a heavy 9mm and light loads. My plan is to try to get to RB today and give it another try.

You might find it interesting to talk to Mark H. about gripping the Glock. He went to one of Vogel's training classes last year & I know that Vogel works his students on grip a lot (I think he has a video on u-tube somewhere). If you find something that works best for you & you don't care, let me know.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon

View attachment 42361

I haven't thought about it in a while but I feel that is what I do. Slightly more grip from the support hand if I can. I know in Ye Olde Magpul Land they say grip it like you mean it with both hands and nobody can doubt how well either of those 2 guys can shoot...but then you talk to another pro and they tell you more support-hand grip than weapon-hand and other will tell you the opposite. I think you have to figure that 1 of those 3 will work for YOU and it is just a matter of working out which of those 3 methods are the one to follow.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Did we seriously just go a week without a post???? This Saturday is Red Brush's Outlaw/Wildcat IDPA match, correct???

Yes. Knock on wood but the weather forecast seems promising.

Rules - All safety rules apply exactly as is normal - Load magazines as full as you want to - No cover required - No fishing vest required - reload at any time and dropping mags that are not empty is aok - more than 2 mag carriers is aok (I think, I did not ask) - I think that is sort of it. I expect the round count will be a little above normal.

Anybody else low on pasters? (Cheap people like to split up shipping cost).

West side know what they are doing this month ?

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    I have a Lone wolf conversion, Jager steel guide rod and 13lb spring coming, should be here before Saturday. I'm hoping some/all of it works together, I'll just need to borrow some 9mm mags. ;)

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Load magazines as full as you want to

I was wrong on that part , anyway:

"This Saturday will be our annual "Outlaw" match. No cover garment, no cover, drop loaded mags, carry extra mags etc. We are limiting the capacity in each mag to that of your respective division. IE, SSP & ESP 10+1, CCP & CDP 8+1, etc. We have at least 1 22 round stage, so extra magazines, mag carriers & AMMO would be a plus. Match fee is $15. For those that show up by 7 and help setup the match fee is $5. See you Saturday."

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    West side know what they are doing this month ?

I believe so! 6 stages, 110 rounds. The match itself will be a Standards match, Limited scoring and the like but plenty of good stages. We had this really ambitious 6 COF match on tap but with weather being a factor in November we didn't want to half-ass it so we tabled those 6 I created in favor of 6 stages of Standards I came up with and it should be a lot of fun.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I have a Lone wolf conversion, Jager steel guide rod and 13lb spring coming, should be here before Saturday. I'm hoping some/all of it works together, I'll just need to borrow some 9mm mags. ;)

let me know! I normally load up my mags ahead of time but I can leave 3 or 4 undone for you if you need to borrow them. You going to debut your knew mag carriers too? I want to check them out if you do!

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    So the email's from RB IDPA headquarters still aren't going to everybody. None here now for two months. Or maybe I've been placed on "thee" list.

Only reason I knew about the match was they posted it on their Indiana Defensive Pistol Associate Facebook page.

and I'm still not getting any scores unless Jay, Brad A or Brent forwards them to me LOL

Top Bottom