• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I could be wrong, but Brent may have been close to doing this once again WSSC last match. Just sayin.

It'd be great if a little more effort could be made to spread the # of SO's amongst squads better when the temp's are in the blast furnace range. Last WSSC, our squad had a grand total of two SO's and about 50 some new shooters. Ok, maybe not 50, but it felt like it by the last stage. More then half of our squad was made up with new shooters. Just a thought. waaa2

Sorry but if we would have given up one of the 6 or so on Jay's squad then we would have only had 5 or so (I did the math, that would have been less).

Seems like it is kind of a common thing at a lot of matches. People tend to form coveys and that makes for an off balance of help and experience.
    Was at a USPSA match at Rock Castle a while back and the poor guy on the squad in front of us had the squad from hell, something like 12 people and it seemed like about 10 of them had never been to a match before, I think there was a dq fairly early on & the natives were pissy and mouthy to boot, I would have given up but the poor guy soldered on and made it through.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    This was a little bit interesting.

Was at a match Sunday. When I closed the slide for "unload and show clear" I heard a loud crack in my right ear and felt a good whack on the right side of my head. My thought was that I had to have screwed up somehow and something must have happened with the gun.

One of the guys in the squad said he saw a small stone bounce off of my ear muff and there was dust splatter where I felt the whack, so mystery solved, something sent air born by a round from the next bay. Reminder that I do need to get off my butt and go buy slip on side shields for my regular (non-shooting) glasses though.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    This was a little bit interesting.

Was at a match Sunday. When I closed the slide for "unload and show clear" I heard a loud crack in my right ear and felt a good whack on the right side of my head. My thought was that I had to have screwed up somehow and something must have happened with the gun.

One of the guys in the squad said he saw a small stone bounce off of my ear muff and there was dust splatter where I felt the whack, so mystery solved, something sent air born by a round from the next bay. Reminder that I do need to get off my butt and go buy slip on side shields for my regular (non-shooting) glasses though.

Have you ever noticed that all the weird stuff happens to you? :D LOL

That is a good lesson and thankfully nobody got injured. After finally sucking it up and buying a good pair of sunglasses that are also safety/shooting glasses I only regret not doing it sooner. They styles that I have now wrap around and completely isolate my eyes and also block out any sunlight, too unless I am in just the weirdest of positions. No more looking over the top of my shooting glasses now that i actually have pairs of quality glasses that fit properly!

scowens

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    Most of us just join your squads, not to help, but to see what will befall you on that particular day. Some are holding out for alien spacecraft abduction...personally I am waiting for a horde of coyotes to come and carry off all your stuff.

With the way Grelber has got his stuff marked, I'm pretty sure "ain't nobody / no nuthin' is gonna take it"....

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I think they are holding them up until the side match is done.

On an unrelated note, think I'm going to break my golden rule (never be like Mike if you don't have to) and shoot a gun / holster I've never worked with Saturday.

I'm glad I've become such a positive influence on you as a shooter and as a human being. I'm honored.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Anyone seen scores yet from Red Brush match? Just checkin.

Hmmm, talked to the scorekeeper. Scores were sent out about 11:00 a.m. today.

He got a bounce back message about my email address being bad (same one I've always had and it always worked before) and said he got the same with some other address's.

Other thing was that a whole lot of stage swapping was done on the sheets this time, 1a versus 2a versus 1b kind of stuff & it got confusing past the point of being able to figure it all out, so overall numbers will be right but some stages will be shown where another stage ought to be. Electronic scoring is coming to RB.

In the meantime, if anybody is willing to forward please holler.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Other thing was that a whole lot of stage swapping was done on the sheets this time, 1a versus 2a versus 1b kind of stuff & it got confusing past the point of being able to figure it all out, so overall numbers will be right but some stages will be shown where another stage ought to be. Electronic scoring is coming to RB.

:faint:

Who are you and what have you done with Jeff.

scowens

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    Side match scores were sent in Sunday. Score keeper forgot to attach them.

What did you all think of the new things? The walls, swinger stick and stomp plate?

We will try to do some rooms with the walls next time.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    the stomp plate is really cool, I remember seeing one of those at Sellersberg in the Kentuckiana Kolonel 2 years ago and thought that was the coolest thing! That might be the most efficient way to construct walls and not have a ton of plywood to load and unload. I always thought about using the blue insulation board you can get at Home Depot or something but that is nice because you could use see-through construction barriers to prevent anybody from being left downrange when the range is called Hot.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    the stomp plate is really cool, I remember seeing one of those at Sellersberg in the Kentuckiana Kolonel 2 years ago and thought that was the coolest thing! That might be the most efficient way to construct walls and not have a ton of plywood to load and unload. I always thought about using the blue insulation board you can get at Home Depot or something but that is nice because you could use see-through construction barriers to prevent anybody from being left downrange when the range is called Hot.

I like simple stuff that is reliable and easy to set up & quick to reset.
    The stomp plate qualifies, have seen problems with them when they are set on stone (I suspect a mat underneath would fix that) and was a Silvercreek when one failed somehow and had to be swapped out, but I'm optimistic.
    The swinger target activator I think qualifies also, as long as nobody hits it with a 30-06 it should work fine and last long time.
    The smaller pepper poppers are pretty much all they want to use at Owensboro, they have a slew of big and small ones but why lug around the heavy ones that are harder to calibrate for light loads.
    I think there will also be some of your basic 8" square steel plates & stands in the near future, again with the keep it simple stupid notion but I also like the way a 45 really knocks the snot out of them.
    I didn't even notice the walls :n00b: .

All that new steel should pretty much guarantee that most future stages are illegal :) . Reminds me, seems like we are about do for another outlaw match.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I'm all about trying to keep it simple! you can do a lot with just paper targets and a few steel and it makes whipping through a stage much easier. The extra activators, movers and all that make for an exciting match but when it goes south with one...it tends to do so in a hurry and at the least convenient times!

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Yeah, nothing brings out the spicy words quite like a mess of steel targets...especially when you have one that spins! The shotgun star side match was a ton of fun... I remember one guy with an incredibly short-barreled pump-action going through about a box of shells and a full bandolier and still didn't get all the plates off of it! but he had a good time and so did everybody else that shot that.

Top Bottom