• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Just picked up a box of 500 122 grain 9mm 0.357 dia coated lead "Vulcan Casting Company" bullets, $34.00 . Anybody wants to try 100, let me know. The guy that sells them will deliver to Owensboro matches free, I did not ask about pricing for larger quantities. I wanted a few to play with and push with Clays to see how low I could get recoil.

So far, 147 grain sns coated cast bullets with titegroup seem to fly really well (too squeamish to load 147's with Clays though) . Got them at just under $69 / 1000 but you have to go big and meet them at a match to get the price there.

I'm getting zero leading with the sns and the Vulcan Casting guy says I can expect the same.

Shot the CZ at RB and SCGC this weekend. Am not doing my part at all well (reloads, brain farts, d.a. first shot) and I need a lot of practice with it, but I am really high on the gun.

What is this CZ that you speak of? it isn't like that 625 S&W we always heard about but seldom saw? :) LOL

I'm not terribly afraid to try bare lead in the Glock and the fire and forget ease of plated and jacketed have me spoiled, too! If I'd ever go back to a traditional style of rifled barrel I might look into some of those, though!

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    What is this CZ that you speak of? it isn't like that 625 S&W we always heard about but seldom saw? :) LOL

I'm not terribly afraid to try bare lead in the Glock and the fire and forget ease of plated and jacketed have me spoiled, too! If I'd ever go back to a traditional style of rifled barrel I might look into some of those, though!

• "Safe to use in Glock's polygonal-rifled barrels." - Don't know if it is true but that is from Bayou bullets website, I don't shoot any bare lead bullets, except for experimenting with the high dollar stuff and flirtation with Berry's plated 115's pretty much everything I have shot is somebody's coated lead (usually Bayou in the past). If coated lead causes Glocks to blow up I see that as a positive.

• Plan is for the CZ (s) to be pretty much all I shoot for a year or so, will see how things go. Fact is that I do not do well with much recoil as far as flinching and joint pain goes so a 42 ounce 9mm is feeling pretty good.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    • "Safe to use in Glock's polygonal-rifled barrels." - Don't know if it is true but that is from Bayou bullets website, I don't shoot any bare lead bullets, except for experimenting with the high dollar stuff and flirtation with Berry's plated 115's pretty much everything I have shot is somebody's coated lead (usually Bayou in the past). If coated lead causes Glocks to blow up I see that as a positive.

• Plan is for the CZ (s) to be pretty much all I shoot for a year or so, will see how things go. Fact is that I do not do well with much recoil as far as flinching and joint pain goes so a 42 ounce 9mm is feeling pretty good.

Nice! I've heard nothing but good things about Bayou Bullets so if they are saying that it is definitely work looking into!

What model of CZ do you have? We talking CZ for IDPA and USPSA as well? I know my CZ75 I had was a shooter even if it was a DA/SA auto. Brent CZ75 SA is a monster!

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Nice! I've heard nothing but good things about Bayou Bullets so if they are saying that it is definitely work looking into!

What model of CZ do you have? We talking CZ for IDPA and USPSA as well? I know my CZ75 I had was a shooter even if it was a DA/SA auto. Brent CZ75 SA is a monster!

I have any uncanny knack for breaking things, so two CZ's. A third hand beat up and well used SP01 and a newer CZ75 but with a TS slide (it is a USPSA production thang, ends up the same sight radius as a Gwock 34 or an xdm 5.25).
    Will probably use the SP01 for IDPA because it is SSP legal if you go with double action on the first shot (and it shoots just as well as the newer gun).

With some new guts your CZ75 would have ended up about 4.5# d.a. and 2# s.a. (least that is where mine ended up).

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I have any uncanny knack for breaking things, so two CZ's. A third hand beat up and well used SP01 and a newer CZ75 but with a TS slide (it is a USPSA production thang, ends up the same sight radius as a Gwock 34 or an xdm 5.25).
    Will probably use the SP01 for IDPA because it is SSP legal if you go with double action on the first shot (and it shoots just as well as the newer gun).

With some new guts your CZ75 would have ended up about 4.5# d.a. and 2# s.a. (least that is where mine ended up).

In retrospect I should have kept hold of it but wasn't sure about the legality for IDPA of changing it from a DA/SA to an SA only or even making that large of a modification. So in keeping with the notion of all guns being the same I opted to sell it and stick with the DA Glock/M&P style. I regret getting rid of it now that I know just how hard they are to find and what an incredible shooter they are!

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    So, regarding Dawson sights... Adjustable vs fixed? I thought about fixed competition set with fiber front, but I was talking to Eadens one day and he said he liked the adjustables.

Are they pretty durable? I've read pros and cons. I assume they're nice if you like farting around with different bullets and loads and whatnot.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    So, regarding Dawson sights... Adjustable vs fixed? I thought about fixed competition set with fiber front, but I was talking to Eadens one day and he said he liked the adjustables.

Are they pretty durable? I've read pros and cons. I assume they're nice if you like farting around with different bullets and loads and whatnot.

I put the Springfield version of these on a couple XD's and I like them https://competitionshooters.com/war...fixed-sight-set-black-rear-fiber-optic-front/ . Have not purchased their adjustable.

My nickel is that the fixed are more of a pain to get point of aim right and keep right if something changes, but if the alternative is a taller than desired rear which has to be mated to a pretty tall front then the extra nuisance is worth it to me. Dawson lets you have one mulligan on front sight elevation ('perfect impact guarantee") which helps.
    When you are buying new and can get an adjustable rear sight set milled into the slide then you get the best of both worlds, that is what I have seen Brad shooting but maybe he has some of the adjustables made to retrofitted in a fixed rear mount also.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Hmmm. Dawson has a free shipping thing going now.

Seems like the 9mm bucket is $15.00 well spent ? https://competitionshooters.com/shell-sorter-set-for-9mm-40s-w-45acp/

Just got Saturday's scores, looks like I beat my previous best ever classifier score the first time I shot the SP01 at a match, I am liking that thing :) .

I saw those and it looks like there were some very fine scores posted throughout! I'd like another run at a Classifier myself! Very well done, sir!

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I think the key is to shoot 9mm and load soft enough so that the timer doesn't always pick up the last shot.

I'm with you and I'm liking the cut of your jib there, son! Excellent answer! with the impending increase for points down on the horizon anything you can do to swing the pendulum back in your favor is a sound tactic! Bravo, good sir!

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Yea, thought those were powder puff loads...I did my best and tried to remember when that last shot was and add that time back on there... otherwise I think you would have got MA. :P

Says the guy who literally had brass dribbling out over his wrist . . . . .

Nice match at west side today!! Really like the drop turner and clamshell set ups, challenging but doable.

Growing pains (ftf's) with new toy, it is always something.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Says the guy who literally had brass dribbling out over his wrist . . . . .

Nice match at west side today!! Really like the drop turner and clamshell set ups, challenging but doable.

Growing pains (ftf's) with new toy, it is always something.

Feed issues? You think it is a magazine issue or a bullet profile issue? Or an OAL on the cartridge possibly?

stiwssc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    To All

Thanks for coming out to shoot with us yesterday. What a great day to shoot it was.

Special thanks to all who came out to set up. More thanks to those who helped tear down and clean up.

Congratulations to our division winners.

CDP Chuck Zeiner
    ESP Brad Eadens
    SSP Don O’Bradovich
    CCP Kevin Farrar
    Rev Dan Baumgart

More Congratulations to our most accurate shooters.

1 Brad Eadens 71.66 22 ESP/Master
    1 Don O'Bradovich 79.42 22 SSP/Expert
    3 Jeff Jones 111.34 29 SSP/Expert
    4 Kevin Farrar 116.72 33 ESP/Sharpshooter
    5 Brian Fawcett 91.29 37 ESP/Expert
    6 Chris Stuard 104.72 45 SSP/Sharpshooter
    6 David Gontarek 118.43 45 SSP/Sharpshooter
    8 Chuck Zehner 131.03 48 CDP/Sharpshooter
    8 Kevin Farrar 137.06 48 CCP/Sharpshooter
    10 Michael Basden 103.99 49 SSP/Expert

Our match next month is on the 14[SUP]th[/SUP] of November. We hope to see you then.

Use the link below to see complete results

Westside Sportsmans Club - PAS and IDPA Results

Jim

Dead-Eye Mike

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Evansville
    I'm looking to purchase electronic ear muffs. The quality of sound is top on my list.
    My question is what brand and model would be best for IDPA shooting?

Thanks
    Mike

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I'm looking to purchase electronic ear muffs. The quality of sound is top on my list.
    My question is what brand and model would be best for IDPA shooting?

Thanks
    Mike

it really depends upon your budget. The Peltor Impact Sport is probably the best electronic earmuffs for the price. At about $50-ish you'd have to go to something double or triple the price to get better.

Top Bottom