• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GlockWielder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Incredible reading! I had a few of those points already worked up in my head but wow, some of those I never even thought of. I believe that by open carrying, it shows your teeth and it acts almost as a barrier to you not even having to use your gun because the thug(s) thought twice before they tried something. Open carry is just more comfortable for me in the hot summer months here in Indiana. I can't stand IWB in the summer. I sweat to much! I'll have to share this!

PS. I do think that whenever someone open carries, they should be neatly dressed with a professional look. Most people look at you pretty weird if you have a full beard, wife beater shirt, and holy jeans. To contrast, if you tuck in your shirt, shave and keep a neat appearance, you look like a respectable person and they don't give you a second look.

brew45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    the whole time i was reading your essay I had been planning on CC'ing exclusively, but you made some great points and made me rethink my plan. Why wouldn't you OC? I mean obviously i'm going to CC at IPFW, but everywhere else OC. I can't wait to OC with my wife and two kids. Ha, she is getting her LTCH at tax time so we can OC together.

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana
    I have always CC'd but I see no problems with people OCing. There are pros and cons to both methods of carry. Tactical and public considerations that must be made when doing one or the other.

Saying one "sucks" or is "better" than the other is just plain ridiculous and really shows a persons' ignorance.

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    The Hidden Benefit of Open Carry

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/08/robert-farago/the-hidden-benefit-of-open-carry/

Nichola-Hyden-courtesy-diggersrealm.com_.jpeg

DC47374

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Richmond, IN
    I applied for my LTCH 5 weeks ago and I'm still waiting for it to arrive. In applying I had been planning on 100% CC, but after being exposed to some very thoughtful posts, I've decided to do both OC and CC. I think we all have a responsibility to exercise our rights and ensure that others understand their rights. OC'ing gives a unique opportunity to do this. If I can educate just one person, then any possible inconvenience by OC'ing will have been worth it.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin

Blackdog765

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    I cc due to my wife's fear of guns. She loves the fact that I carry, she just does not want to see it. However, I do believe in open carry, and will when not with the wife.

Interesting. My wife was also very fearful of guns due to upbringing. But somehow I convinced her to attend a 2-day basic handgun defense class with me, and that calmed her fears.

It was a very high quality class (in my opinion) and very well done. She has her LTCH also, but keeps it in the drawer. And like your situation, she doesn't seem to mind when I CC. I don't OC yet, but considering it.

joshualee49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Gas City, Indiana
    Hmmm... I've been staring for hours, and I still haven't found it. Is this like the things in the newspaper where you have to cross your eyes or something?

In order to see the gun, you have to scroll this page down until the lady's left elbow just disappears at the top of the screen. I did it by accident and the gun just appeared. Hope this helps!

EDIT - Not THIS page. Click back on page 97.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    In order to see the gun, you have to scroll this page down until the lady's left elbow just disappears at the top of the screen. I did it by accident and the gun just appeared. Hope this helps!

EDIT - Not THIS page. Click back on page 97.
    Hmm.. I still can't see it. I must be broken.

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Although that Cop may or may not have been able to tell by looking that that MP5 was semi-auto or full auto (I wouldn't be able to), he was very professional, very polite, and a great representative of his force.

I would give him a "+1". for sure. Didn't ask for ID, gave him back his loaded weapon, thanked him for exercising his 2A rights, invited him to come to the station & shoot a full auto.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Even the TTAG Crowd has figured out that OC Activism is a negative for the RKBA...

By "figured out", I can only assume you mean that you found a handful of folks who share your personal opinion. :rolleyes:

Most discussions I've seen regarding that video sway the opposite direction: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?106139-Video-of-OCer-stopped-by-officer

The officer didn't have to take the bait and overstep his authority, but he did so they got it on video.

The politeness will throw off the general public, but I'm surprised you don't have any issue with that detention (or perhaps you're just willing to ignore it in this case attempting to further your own anti-OC position).

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    By "figured out", I can only assume you mean that you found a handful of folks who share your personal opinion. :rolleyes:

Most discussions I've seen regarding that video sway the opposite direction: Video of OCer stopped by officer

The officer didn't have to take the bait and overstep his authority, but he did so they got it on video.

The politeness will throw off the general public, but I'm surprised you don't have any issue with that detention (or perhaps you're just willing to ignore it in this case attempting to further your own anti-OC position).

PLUS: We'll be the first ones shot. We lose the element of surprise. We scare the children...and adults...and sheep. The cops will hassle us. We are show offs. We are acting like we're "all that". We are compensating for something. We are looking for trouble. Blah. Blah. Blah.

Top Bottom