• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Plinker556

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2020
    Central Indiana
    Current conditions are making me reluctant to shoot as much as I wish unless I can confidently replace what I shoot. I'm comfortable with what I have but reluctant to draw down supplies

This for me^^^^

I feel comfortable with my reserves and decided to shoot more .22 until things improve. What I am trying to do now is gather up the quality .22 ammo I see at reasonable prices. I put together a nice Ruger Mark IV last year and am in the process of putting together a 10/22, they will be my "GO To's" for a while. I figure I will go to the range and shoot a little 9, 45, 223...whatever and then pull out the .22's to enjoy the rest of my day.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    52,000 rounds per year could put you in world class shooting if the rounds were sent downrange with a purpose.
    Nice work being able to do that!

No purpose other than just enjoyment. :dunno:
    Not being able to go to the gym daily for Yoga & some old people's stretching classes & with CV cutting down on plans for so much, including traveling, out of state & out of country & other limitations have left the range as the big outlet.
    I lead a boring life & it has gotten even more boring with CV around.
    Getting the outdoor range with more than 25 yards has been a great distraction.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    52,000 rounds per year could put you in world class shooting if the rounds were sent downrange with a purpose.

Nice work being able to do that!

I felt that pain a few years back. Two sons two years apart shooting rimfire with 4H, JROTC and then for fun.. I would be afraid to really know how many bricks we went through in those years.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm going to the range for the first time in quite awhile tomorrow. Won't be burning through much ammo though. Just want to sight in the Enfield 45-70 sporter I just got (with cowboy loads - haven't loaded up any hotter stuff yet) and my Beretta Olimpia .22 rifle. I know I'll have to sight in the Enfield again when I switch ammo, but at least I can get it on paper. (And feel that beautiful, beautiful recoil. :D)

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I just took two of my Grandsons to the range for some practice. They keep getting better every time we go. I made sure I’d have enough for monthly outings even during bad times.

We have to invest in our future generations.
    gMDprNf.jpg

tribeofham

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 21, 2017
    Fishers
    So I am doing specific drills when I go to the range, most of them low round count. I'm down to about 100 rounds per session and will probably drop that down to 50 here soon.

This is a very smart idea. With two kids and a limited schedule I got into the habit of rushing through my range time. Unloading clip after clip and not thinking much of it turns into a costly endeavor. I don't know why but i haven't done proper drills in years! Next time I'm out of the range I'll be changing up my routine, thanks to you!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    At our range you couldn't tell there is any ammo shortage. Number of shooters is way up (many being new) and going through ammo like crazy. Price of ammo not effecting them whatsoever. Seen $25 per 50 round box of 9mm target ammo going downrange by the case ! I have plenty and keeping my practice at a minimum. Put an Apex trigger in my M&P Friday, test fired enough to ensure all good and done.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    At our range you couldn't tell there is any ammo shortage. Number of shooters is way up (many being new) and going through ammo like crazy. Price of ammo not effecting them whatsoever. Seen $25 per 50 round box of 9mm target ammo going downrange by the case ! I have plenty and keeping my practice at a minimum. Put an Apex trigger in my M&P Friday, test fired enough to ensure all good and done.

I'm trying to do the same.
    CV cut off so many other things I had to distract me in retirement, that I was sending rounds downrange at an unsustainable (but fun) pace.

Getting access to an outside range really opened up my options & need for learning to shoot .22LR rifles & I bought 2 more with another on "the list."
    100 yds outdoor proved humbling after only having 25 yds indoor previously with .22 rifles. :dunno:

Starting in August I cut my rounds in half.
    The real money saver is that I haven't been able to go to the range for the past 2 weeks. :ugh:
    I have some new red dots since being at the range last & can't wait to try them out.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    For me the emphasis has always been ammo. I also have confined myself to 3 calibers to better manage proliferation. If you pick calibers that are versatile, this helps.

For example, making.308 one of your calibers lets you shoot everything from a 110 VMAX to a 230 Berger, works in gas guns and bolt alike. And you can run everything from milsurp to the best brass made.

I personally skipped.308 in favor of 6.5CM because it covers all that I want.

I load everything from 40gr vmax to 88 ELDs in my .223.

Even before the primer shortage, I’d rather have 5000 more primers than another rifle.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I just go to targetsportsusa and order whatever is in stock. I always find a box or two or 5 per month to order. I was almost tempted to buy 10mm to lend creedence to buy a 10mm but didn't.

Eddie61861

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2020
    Richmond
    Being relatively new to guns, the ammo shortage is sometimes hard to deal with. Every time I go to rural king there's always only one box of 7.62x54r left. As far as I can see there's still a lot of 22 to go around though, I have enough boxes of it to last me a lifetime (I hope)

Top Bottom