• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Should the US military keep the M4 or is time for a new rifle?

• Total voters

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    The rifle should chamber in 7.62x51. It should be accurate out to atleast 500 meters. Also it should be full auto. I'm not saying the M14 but maybe something made out of composite?

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Im gonna put my :twocents: in my actual marine corps combat experience overseas. iv done and saw things i never want to see again over in iraq. but the biggest problem miltary m4's are machined cheaply they like alot of lube, in overseas you cant lube them, running them dry is rough on them i was issued a brand new m4 when i hit the fleet, when we would put even the lightest amounts of clp on the weapon they would attract tons of sand/dust/ect and often jam in fire fights so we ran them dry to the point where they would also jam, ( in my personal case this resulted in a failure to the bolt to lock and it blowup in my face) it blew the mag out of the rifle crack both the lower and upper receivers and ripping the buffer tube/butt stock completely off the rifle. and in the process i was shot 3 times resulting in my first purple heart....

my options on the m4 we really need a less problematic carbine.... i wont touch the stop power debate but ive seen people take 3 or 4 rounds first hand and are still firing at us... we do have need for short barrel carbine in select fire so the m14 is out but we are using them out there just so everyone knows....

there a reason alot of military guys pefer the ak over a ar platform my personal experiences are why im a ak guy now i havent always been... the problem is we stress to much for accuraticy but at the same time we are sacrificing reliability.... and alot of this could be solve by just going back to the old piston system

IN1911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Part of me says the M4 is fine but with all the new advances in metals, lube, etc... I would be interested in a new rifle or maybe the same M4 just made better with "self lubricating" metals and tollerances that would allow hard use with little cleaning but still hold tight groups at longer distances...

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Part of me says the M4 is fine but with all the new advances in metals, lube, etc... I would be interested in a new rifle or maybe the same M4 just made better with "self lubricating" metals and tollerances that would allow hard use with little cleaning but still hold tight groups at longer distances...
    i will agree but with what colt is building us out there i will never own one of there firearms

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    "self lubricating" metals QUOTE]

no such thing really....friction causes wear regardless of material....the harder material will wear down the softer material faster.....hence why you don't see many composite uppers with a metal bolt sliding against its interior........although I like the m4 setup, I'm never opposed to new weapons designs

abraham743

Marksman
    Rating - 98.1%
    51   1   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    Indy SS
    actually there are oil impregnated metals that are designed to not require lube, such as oilite bronze bushings.not saying that would work in a firearm but the technology does exist. The other option in keeping the m4 and improving accurate range and stopping power would be in projectile technology and development

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    actually there are oil impregnated metals that are designed to not require lube, such as oilite bronze bushings.not saying that would work in a firearm but the technology does exist. The other option in keeping the m4 and improving accurate range and stopping power would be in projectile technology and development

maybe...but whether or not they give it the name "oilite"...bronze is commonly used in high metal to metal friction areas such as bushings because it is softer......it is meant to wear down the bushing rather than the shaft which is generally more expensive...so I wouldn't necessarily consider it "lube impregnated"...simply again the harder metal wearing down the softer metal.......graphite is another soft metal which is used in friction areas for various markets

Tim1911

Marksman
    Rating - 87%
    20   3   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    Southside Indy
    I still think the main problem with the M4 is the 5.56 cartridge. It was explained to us in Boot Camp that the round was designed to wound instead of kill since wounding someone would take three people off of the battlefield as the enemy attended to their wounded. I would like to see something more like the 7.62X51 (.308) for our soldiers. My soldiering days are behind me, unless we get invaded.

I've got time logged in the sandbox, and even more time logged behind the M-4 platform. I have no beef with the platform, but would like to see a push towards an intermediate round such as the 6.5 Grendel or the 6.8 SPC. Granted, you would take a hit on the amount of rounds you could carry, but I think the payoff would justify that.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    "MORE" bullet weight.............and NO mouse fart calibers should be allowed.

gatl-5a.jpg

"Bomb them back into the stone age", USAF General Curtis LeMay 1968

B52.jpg

You're the guy from the Burger King commercial aren't ya! And that's really a .22lr round in your tiny hand! :):

burger-king-tiny-hands.jpg

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Was going to suggest something similar to the B-52 pictured, except in today's politically correct warfare, instead of a soldier with a shoulder mounted weapon, or the B-52 carpet bombing, we need a few thousand Remotely Piloted Vehicles each armed with precision munitions ranging from a five pound man killer to a 500 pound building leveler.

That way no Americans could get hurt as happens now with on foot battles, and if we lost an RPV we wouldn't hear about some church protesting the Great men and women of our armed forces.

No pilots in the aircraft means no worry about POWs if one gets shot down, and if one is downed, I can't see why with current technology we couldn't detonate the munitions after the crash when the enemy stands around taking pictures and jumping up and down with soon to be short lived glee.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Yeah, but no matter how much you Bombard it, no matter how many tons of ordinance you drop there. Until you send an 18 year old Kid there with a POS Rifle it is not a Win...

mtgasten

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Greenfield
    i forget what the name of the rifle is...but didnt they come out with a new caliber they are trying to implement? i think its called the 6.8 remington...not for sure though

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    scottrodgers87
    Top Bottom