• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia

Thanks for the link to the article. The article leads me to believe the issue isn't as much about the Act itself as it is the government's interpretation of the Act. Conventional wisdom tells me that the Supreme Court would have the final say, but it seems to be a sticky wicket as to how it would get to the Supreme Court. Unfortunately if they keep it a secret then we can't find out how it's been interpreted so far and more importantly, acted upon. In an attempt to relate this back to E5's original question that prompted all of this: it doesn't matter if the Act is legal if the government is going to "hide the ball" and prevent the normal safety checks (SCOTUS) from being implemented. So is the Act illegal, or the government's action in regard to the Act illegal?

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I do not think we are on separate pages, heck I think we are even probably around the same paragraph...

You are right I think there is not enough Policing of the LEO Community at all. There is way to much Authority and Responsibility on the Individual LEO with not enough Accountability for poor decisions and practices. That and I have noticed a trend in the last decade or so that Officers tend to be less Professional and Respectable in their dealings with the Populace. That could just be my perspective on that from myself becoming more Mature though.

I do not think this is just an LEO problem, but an entire legal system problem to include the Politicians, Judges, Prosecutors, and Attorneys that allow this attitude to grow...

I'll be honest, I'm not old enough to remember how it used to be nor have I had enough police encounters (good or bad) to agree or disagree with what you've said. The guys I work with are pretty respectful of others, but we work in a small town. I rode along with an INGO member of IMPD and he was very fair and respectful of those that he dealt with also. If you say it's changed though, I'll have to trust you old guys. ;)

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I'll be honest, I'm not old enough to remember how it used to be nor have I had enough police encounters (good or bad) to agree or disagree with what you've said. The guys I work with are pretty respectful of others, but we work in a small town. I rode along with an INGO member of IMPD and he was very fair and respectful of those that he dealt with also. If you say it's changed though, I'll have to trust you old guys. ;)

Did that make me sound THAT old?!

Dang it...

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    jsharmon7, you mentioned you are a cop in a small town. many times the small town cops are the ones who remain in check. thats because they probly grew up with many of the people they serve and there is a level of trust and familiarity. but most importantly there is a level of respect and im even gonna say fear that keeps small town cops from screwing up. thats because any trampling of rights would be quickly spread through town and people would be in an outrage since people who live in small towns or rural areas seem to be better protectors of liberty and take duty as citizens more seriously.
    basicly if you **** up in a small town as a cop, your probly gonna get your ass beat either literaly or verbally, lol.

sadly big police departments do not have that personal touch with the people. or the citizens they do know well are the ones they lock up regularly and not for example legal gun owners etc.

I dont think many big city cops have that fear of letting down the people they serve. by a lot of recent actions and the prosecution rate of bad cops, i dont think a lot have anything to fear. thats sad.

just my opinion.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    jsharmon7, you mentioned you are a cop in a small town. many times the small town cops are the ones who remain in check. thats because they probly grew up with many of the people they serve and there is a level of trust and familiarity. but most importantly there is a level of respect and im even gonna say fear that keeps small town cops from screwing up. thats because any trampling of rights would be quickly spread through town and people would be in an outrage since people who live in small towns or rural areas seem to be better protectors of liberty and take duty as citizens more seriously.
    basicly if you **** up in a small town as a cop, your probly gonna get your ass beat either literaly or verbally, lol.

sadly big police departments do not have that personal touch with the people. or the citizens they do know well are the ones they lock up regularly and not for example legal gun owners etc.

I dont think many big city cops have that fear of letting down the people they serve. by a lot of recent actions and the prosecution rate of bad cops, i dont think a lot have anything to fear. thats sad.

just my opinion.

I have almost zero experience with big city police departments other than riding along with an INGO member of IMPD. From what I saw, this officer was an outstanding officer who gave people a fair shake and didn't screw with anyone. I grew up in Indianapolis, but I've never been pulled over or otherwise involved with police on official business so I have no experiences to share in this regard. I can't speak to your experiences in this area but I will say that it's still unfair to classify a person by their organization. I'm not going so far as to suggest that you're badmouthing large departments, but it's unfair to say that they don't connect with the people on their beats and try to get to know them and help them. I'm sure some of them could care less about people, but it's unfair to categorize all big city cops that way. Maybe there is less accountability, but I'm not familiar enough with their Internal Affairs set up to have an opinion either way, and I can't speak for them. I don't know what they know and I don't face what they face. I would suggest setting up a ride-along with someone on a big city department and seeing first hand what they do on an average night. Maybe you've done this already and are including that experience in your opinion. If not, give it a shot.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I have almost zero experience with big city police departments other than riding along with an INGO member of IMPD. From what I saw, this officer was an outstanding officer who gave people a fair shake and didn't screw with anyone. I grew up in Indianapolis, but I've never been pulled over or otherwise involved with police on official business so I have no experiences to share in this regard. I can't speak to your experiences in this area but I will say that it's still unfair to classify a person by their organization. I'm not going so far as to suggest that you're badmouthing large departments, but it's unfair to say that they don't connect with the people on their beats and try to get to know them and help them. I'm sure some of them could care less about people, but it's unfair to categorize all big city cops that way. Maybe there is less accountability, but I'm not familiar enough with their Internal Affairs set up to tell you how it works. I would suggest setting up a ride-along with someone on a big city department and seeing first hand what they do on an average night. Maybe you've done this already and are including that experience in your opinion. If not, give it a shot.

im not putting down all cops on an individual level. am I saying IMPD AS A DEPARTMENT does a poor job reaching out to THE LAW ABIDING TAX PAYING CITIZENS IT PROTECTS that dont live in the ghettos? YES. they are doing a crappy job in my opinion as a citizen under their jurisdiction.

ive done ride alongs. i have 2 buddies now who are troopers, and a couple on big departments, and one who is an federal agent :cool: (well 2, but one i dont stay in regular contact with anymore), and a family member who is a deputy chief.
    i have also worked with many officers from around the world with my last big job (mostly feds).

i think i have a good understanding of what goes on, or at least the best idea one can have without actually wearing a badge. which i dont want to do. so when i speak about police, im speaking from my OWN personal experiences that have shaped my opinions. i have NO RECORD (nor been arrested, and I even have a VERY clean driving record) so i have no reason to hate cops because i want payback or something like that.

I KNOW there are good cops. i dont associate with ANY person in ANY profession who isnt of good character. so yes IM SURE beyond a reasonable doubt there are good cops who care deeply about the people they protect. my point was to basically pont out that in my opinion larger departments (through policies), have lost touch as a whole with their communities. it just seems like the only communities they cater and ass kiss to are the ones who may call them racists on the news. thats my perception. :dunno: and by losing that personal touch it leads to bad things. bad actions.

I know there are good cops who do great work every shift. im not disputing that. just to be clear

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    You guys are so bent on proving yourselves right about your own posts, you're missing the point. Does it take a SWAT team to serve a drug warrant and a full military style assault with the homeowner's pets being intentionally shot to wage the "War On Drugs"? I say no! If they had the goods on this guy why not wait till he takes his trash out or leaves for work? These "No Knock Warrants" and excessive SWAT team use is getting innocent people killed! The extention of the "Patriot Act" aside, where do we as citizens draw the line on these actions? What is our recourse to limit or end these practices? That is the point of this post. Indiana is far down this road with the recent State Supreme Court ruling on defending ones self in your own home. We all should be outraged and work to overturn this ruling and excessive abuses by the police and Feds for that matter. Just my opinion......

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I'm surprised that some wiseacre hasn't come in here and told us that technically they knocked before entering. The residents clearly had sufficient time to assume the boot-licking position. Just as with the Tucson home invasion, "This isn't really a no-knock warrant." LOL

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    Whoa! Somebody hit a nerve! Don't know about hunting anybody down, just that the excesses have to be dialed down a bit. SWAT is for real emergency situations, not serving warrants and definitely not home invasion takedowns! That is all we need, the cops and feds acting like the drug cartels from Mexico against the people they are sworn to protect. Looks bad from the citizen's point of view, this citizen anyway!

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Our friend nicajack is no longer with us and his post was removed. I shouldn't have to keep reminding people that advocating violence against public elected officials, inciting riots, talk of sedition or civil war will absolutely not be tolerated on INGO. Find some other outlet for your rage.

:mods:

Top Bottom