Thing I sold is now in police possession.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    In my estimation, most of the time you are questioned about ownership of a firearm, it is because the authorities have the equipment but don't know who it belongs to and are trying to trace that ownership. In this case, they have both the firearm AND the current owner, so why would they go through the bother of tracing ownership through the FFL (really starts back at the manufacture or distributer) as that is a lot of work.

I agree with the advice above, but I wouldn't expect a visit.
    THIS exactly... the FBI already knows everything they need to know about the firearm/lower in question IF the buyer of the lower told you the whole story.

IF they show up, they're fishing for something more, something else, co-conspirators, etc. There is nothing you can say that helps you.

Sounds like you consulted an attorney who advised you can say, "yup, I sold it so-and-so" since it appears you know him/he knows you enough to call you and give you a heads' up...

Hopefully, your attorney advised you to not answer any further questions.

Also, hopefully this was a single lower you bought some time ago, intending to build, but later changed your mind and NOT "I bought five to save on shipping and their hard to find and then immediately sold off a couple 'cuz I only needed 2 or 3." If that's the case, you REALLY need an attorney.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    This is why I very rarely sell a firearm. If it isn't family which I usually give them to or friends or someone I'm familiar with I don't like to sell. I do ask them if they are Indiana residents and if they are allowed by law to own a firearm. If they say yes it's on them if they lied.

I'm not law enforcement I can't demand ID or any other information.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    I can tell you this. If they show up and "just want to talk"...Dont!. If they have enough for some kind of warrant or arrest they will bring it. If they don't. They are just fishin... Dont allow them in Besides you have done nothing wrong. But I know people who have talked themselves into more investigation. If they want to get ugly about it call a lawyer.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I've only sold to other Ingo members here and I post a disclaimer as a condition for sale in the ad that the buyer must be an Indiana resident 18+ and be legally able to purchase and own a firearm in accordance with all applicable Federal and State law. I then request an official ID at the point of sale as proof of age and residency.

I do my due diligence required by law to verify that they meet those requirements and If they lie to me about being a proper person without my knowledge then that's on them.

Last edited:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    This is why I very rarely sell a firearm. If it isn't family which I usually give them to or friends or someone I'm familiar with I don't like to sell. I do ask them if they are Indiana residents and if they are allowed by law to own a firearm. If they say yes it's on them if they lied.

I'm not law enforcement I can't demand ID or any other information.
    Well, some here on INGO require LTCH to buy parts and ammo. To each his own, but thats getting all police impersonatey, like the highway monitors that feel everyone needs to do as they do.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Somehow you iner that this decision is solely based upon the content of this thread. This decision is also based on wishing I still had many of the guns I have sold. No need for a bewildered emoji.

I hear that. I missed my childhood 10/22 so I bought another. Learned my lesson. My current 10/22 I'm taking to my grave, and warning my kids to do the same with theirs.

Feel the same with my US made SKS. The short one, not the long ones you can find today. Sporterized it and got bored with it. Sold it to an acquaintance for what I had in it. She asked several times if I was sure and I said yes, assuming I could just go buy another for $80 and scrub the cosmoline off. Lets just say she knew something I didnt. (wasnt THAT into guns back then) A month later I went back to Bradis to grab another and realized why she was so insistent. She knew the well had dried up but I didnt. Oh well.

Top Bottom