• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    So you don't use your tumbler to clean off the lube?

-rvb

I know lots of people do that, but I don't like it because it makes a sticky mess of the media, and because that mess can get inside my brass, which I like even less.
    I know well to go light on the case lube, so that's not the problem.
    It might not be a big problem if I used the media only once, then threw it out, but I use it until it's so saturated with what it scrubbed off of the brass that it's an easy choice to throw it out at that time.
    Before anyone asks, I don't see much appeal in wet tumbling, although its popularity has nearly eclipsed conventional tumbling lately.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Lube removal: Using hot wash with Dawn & alcohol soapy water cleaning solution. Hot water rinse and oven dry out.

About the only thing wrong with reloading these days is still finding stuff in the third year after relocation.
    Well, that and I wish I'd gotten wider lands in the rifling for the fast twist .40 bore. Maybe get a .41 bore and correct the mistake.
    Gonna try some of these out and think about it.
    .40 HB.JPG

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Lube removal: Using hot wash with Dawn & alcohol soapy water cleaning solution. Hot water rinse and oven dry out.

About the only thing wrong with reloading these days is still finding stuff in the third year after relocation.
    Well, that and I wish I'd gotten wider lands in the rifling for the fast twist .40 bore. Maybe get a .41 bore and correct the mistake.
    Gonna try some of these out and think about it.
    View attachment 57307

A common practice, but it puts me right back where all the wet tumbler folks are with having to dry off brass that has no business being soaked (one man's opinion) in the first place.
    Your idea of using paper-patched bullets should work pretty well if you execute it properly, though.
    What caliber? .38-40 perhaps?

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I know lots of people do that, but I don't like it because it makes a sticky mess of the media, and because that mess can get inside my brass, which I like even less.
    I know well to go light on the case lube, so that's not the problem.
    It might not be a big problem if I used the media only once, then threw it out, but I use it until it's so saturated with what it scrubbed off of the brass that it's an easy choice to throw it out at that time.
    Before anyone asks, I don't see much appeal in wet tumbling, although its popularity has nearly eclipsed conventional tumbling lately.

When media gets too dirty for cleaning, I use it to remove lube. When it starts to stick to the cases from removing lube, I pitch it. I keep a couple of plastic bins to store media in so I can swap what's in the tumbler. Life's too short and media too cheap to be cleaning them one at a time.... IMO...

-rvb

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    When media gets too dirty for cleaning, I use it to remove lube. When it starts to stick to the cases from removing lube, I pitch it. I keep a couple of plastic bins to store media in so I can swap what's in the tumbler. Life's too short and media too cheap to be cleaning them one at a time.... IMO...

-rvb
    I haven't changed my media out in maybe 4 yrs. I have 4 of those big popcorn tins full with new media I bought back then. I may have to use your idea as I have recently last year started doing 223/556 and been lubing first the dirty stuff and then tumbling after. Though I do add a spoonful of liquid car wax with every tumble that I let run for 5 min before adding brass.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    :facepalm:...... Yikes, I was just kidding but had seriously forgot about wadcutters as I don't load 38. School me. What calibers/sizes are these practically used on? X-treem is showing 38, 41, 44, and 45.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland

I just ordered a 10oz can to evaluate for .30-06.
    All of my handgun brass is fully tumbled before it even touches the sizing dies, so lube isn't necessary (carbide) for that type of brass.

Because I like them shiny clean, dry tumbling took fMorever and was a mess as well.

I must confess puzzlement over the shiny clean fetish so many people have lately.
    I just toss the brass in the vibratory tumbler, which is plugged into an electronic light timer and set for three to four hours later, then mow the yard, take a nap, or whatever, then come back later to process for loading.
    So what if it's not that last 10% shiny when the fouling is removed and it looks as good as factory fresh?

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    A common practice, but it puts me right back where all the wet tumbler folks are with having to dry off brass that has no business being soaked (one man's opinion) in the first place.
    Your idea of using paper-patched bullets should work pretty well if you execute it properly, though.
    What caliber? .38-40 perhaps?

My old Texas deer rifle, incapable of slaying bambi's in Indiana. Percussion, 32" barrel, 16" twist, narrow lands for engraving the riling on the bullet prior to loading. Engraving die machined from a piece of the barrel. Set up for long bullets to parachute on impact but never stop.
    For these short bullets the fast twist is a problem. So, I'm trying hollow bases to seal the bore with smaller powder charges, less velocity. If this works out perhaps there's a coyote in it's future but the tinkering and targets are my greater joy.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    My old Texas deer rifle, incapable of slaying bambi's in Indiana. Percussion, 32" barrel, 16" twist, narrow lands for engraving the riling on the bullet prior to loading. Engraving die machined from a piece of the barrel. Set up for long bullets to parachute on impact but never stop.
    For these short bullets the fast twist is a problem. So, I'm trying hollow bases to seal the bore with smaller powder charges, less velocity. If this works out perhaps there's a coyote in it's future but the tinkering and targets are my greater joy.

Good luck
    It sounds like quite a lot of work, but maybe the modern Minie ball approach will yield the results you want.

Top Bottom