• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    i use one shot for pistol. I think it sucks for rifle...

This is what I do as well. I have no experience using One Shot for rifle, but I have read enough horror stories that I have avoided it.

I am surprised by how much I like it for pistol, even though it is considered "not necessary", it sure makes resizing a heck of a lot easier.

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    Been using one shot for about 5 years (mol) and never had any issues with it of any kind. Used on 5.56, .308, and 30-06.
    No problems ever.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Been using one shot for about 5 years (mol) and never had any issues with it of any kind. Used on 5.56, .308, and 30-06.
    No problems ever.

As I said, I just ordered a can to evaluate for exclusive use with .30-06.
    I'll make an educated guess that much of the complaint with it and bottleneck cases could be related to not getting the cases with the proper 360 degree coverage, since it's a spray can that has to be directed around the full perimeter of the brass.
    It's much easier to ensure full coverage of the brass with the traditional pad and liquid lube method that so many others, myself included, have used for about a century now.
    I was thinking of trying the trick of spraying a bit of One Shot inside a large Ziploc bag, then dropping the brass in it and rolling it around in the bag to get a full coverage thin film on it.
    It should be interesting to see the results.

Ah, here's a really good, detailed post at the top of this thread from a guy who's clearly very experienced with using One Shot, and he explains how to avoid the pitfalls that get complaints about it.
    Certainly woth a read, and I'll have this one bookmarked for when I process my first batch of brass - https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/305248_.html

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Armscor 38 special brass. It won't even fit in the shell holder. Has anyone else had this problem? Or is it just me?

Also my bullet puller and crimped primers. I had to laugh about the furnace and the scales. I have to turn off the ceiling fan when using the scales.

As far as sorting 9mm and .380 brass, It's easy. I sort on a TV tray while watching TV. I get excited when I find the short ones because I have way more 9mm brass compared to .380 brass. Maybe that's because I have 8 9mm pistols and only 3 .380 pistols counting my wifes P238

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Armscor 38 special brass. It won't even fit in the shell holder. Has anyone else had this problem? Or is it just me?

Also my bullet puller and crimped primers. I had to laugh about the furnace and the scales. I have to turn off the ceiling fan when using the scales.

As far as sorting 9mm and .380 brass, It's easy. I sort on a TV tray while watching TV. I get excited when I find the short ones because I have way more 9mm brass compared to .380 brass. Maybe that's because I have 8 9mm pistols and only 3 .380 pistols counting my wifes P238

I've been using a brass catcher designed for pistol shooting for several years, with good results.
    The one that I have is not in either of these links, but the linked catchers look much like it in function.
    It occasionally doesn't fully catch some of the brass, but as long as I have the catch bag adjusted the right way, it still greatly slows down the brass's trajectory, enough so that it lands only a couple of feet away.
    Yeah, it looks a bit funny the first time using it, but it's not really awkward once you have it positioned properly, and the other people can laugh, while you laugh at them crawling around all over the place looking for their brass.
    Akuna Brass Catcher - Catch Your Auto Pistol's Brass Shells As Shot - by Sherwood Akuna
    https://www.amazon.com/Graco-Models-handheld-brass-catcher/dp/B00J4VIVCK

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    I'm using a life time supply plastic bucket of lanolin picked up way long ago from a chemical supply warehouse in Pasadena, TX.
    Basic ingredient for black and smokeless bullet lube formulas, case lube, leather conditioner. Handy stuff to have around.
    The one thing great about urban cowboy country was that the concentration of chemical, refining, manufacturing, supply and support meant that most everything was right there on your way home. Well, that and food that doesn't taste like it was formulated for newborns. But I certainly do not miss the heat, the humidity, the scorpions, the mosquitoes, the copper heads, the rattlers, the coral snakes, the cotton mouths, the hogs tilling up the yard, people firing guns off in the air for fire works, floods and loosing power for days at a time, fighting back the jungle to maintain the cleared space around the house... did I mention the heat and humidity? I still get a smile thinking about people in Indiana asking me "What are you moving here for?" when they heard I left the glorious Gulf Coast.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    It's much easier to ensure full coverage of the brass with the traditional pad and liquid lube method that so many others, myself included, have used for about a century now.
    I was thinking of trying the trick of spraying a bit of One Shot inside a large Ziploc bag, then dropping the brass in it and rolling it around in the bag to get a full coverage thin film on it.

This is what I do with the Dillon / lanolin lube I use on rifle brass. I avoid handling individual pieces of brass as much as process. batch steps anywhere I can.

-rvb

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I've been using a brass catcher designed for pistol shooting for several years, with good results.
    The one that I have is not in either of these links, but the linked catchers look much like it in function.
    It occasionally doesn't fully catch some of the brass, but as long as I have the catch bag adjusted the right way, it still greatly slows down the brass's trajectory, enough so that it lands only a couple of feet away.
    Yeah, it looks a bit funny the first time using it, but it's not really awkward once you have it positioned properly, and the other people can laugh, while you laugh at them crawling around all over the place looking for their brass.
    Akuna Brass Catcher - Catch Your Auto Pistol's Brass Shells As Shot - by Sherwood Akuna
    https://www.amazon.com/Graco-Models-handheld-brass-catcher/dp/B00J4VIVCK

That Akuna brass catcher is hilarious! I would be laughing too! :laugh: It is hard to tell with the Graco model you linked to, but it just seems like a weird solution that could affect how you aim and shoot the gun.

When I am outdoors, I just bring a large tarp and I can get about 90-95% of my brass that way.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    OneShot spray is fine.

It is entirely user mis-use or under-use that results in "horror stories".

I've not stuck a case in any die because of OneShot, including sizing .220 Swift into 6.5 Arisaka enough that the RCBS die actually cracked radially around the mouth.

Use enough.

-Nate

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    That Akuna brass catcher is hilarious! I would be laughing too! :laugh: It is hard to tell with the Graco model you linked to, but it just seems like a weird solution that could affect how you aim and shoot the gun.

When I am outdoors, I just bring a large tarp and I can get about 90-95% of my brass that way.

I realize that it looks a bit funny, but the proof is in the pudding.
    Also, laying out a tarp at a large public range isn't really a workable solution, especially the one I shoot at while firing 10mm, which flings the brass back about 15-20 feet, right where everyone walks past the berm to get to the shooting lanes.
    It doesn't really distract me from shooting, and I was able to get decent groups, and nearly all of my brass was dumped from the catcher into a box to be taken back and reloaded, and without the excess dirt and grit from hitting the ground on it to boot.
    Let them laugh. ;)

EDIT: I didn't look at exactly how the Akuna catcher works, not knowing until now that it slides directly onto the pistol instead of fitting around the hand with an elastic strap.
    I just took a second look at mine, and it is the Graco version, although with a blaze orange catch bag.
    I like it quite well.

Last edited:

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I realize that it looks a bit funny, but the proof is in the pudding.
    Also, laying out a tarp at a large public range isn't really a workable solution, especially the one I shoot at while firing 10mm, which flings the brass back about 15-20 feet, right where everyone walks past the berm to get to the shooting lanes.
    It doesn't really distract me from shooting, and I was able to get decent groups, and nearly all of my brass was dumped from the catcher into a box to be taken back and reloaded, and without the excess dirt and grit from hitting the ground on it to boot.
    Let them laugh. ;)

EDIT: I didn't look at exactly how the Akuna catcher works, not knowing until now that it slides directly onto the pistol instead of fitting around the hand with an elastic strap.
    I just took a second look at mine, and it is the Graco version, although with a blaze orange catch bag.
    I like it quite well.

I kind of like the looks of this type of setup instead:

https://smile.amazon.com/Caldwell-1...273&sr=8-3-fkmr2&keywords=graco+brass+catcher

Costs a little more, but it folds flat, and can attach to a tripod.

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    As I said, I just ordered a can to evaluate for exclusive use with .30-06.
    I'll make an educated guess that much of the complaint with it and bottleneck cases could be related to not getting the cases with the proper 360 degree coverage, since it's a spray can that has to be directed around the full perimeter of the brass.

Ah, here's a really good, detailed post at the top of this thread from a guy who's clearly very experienced with using One Shot, and he explains how to avoid the pitfalls that get complaints about it.
    Certainly woth a read, and I'll have this one bookmarked for when I process my first batch of brass - https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/305248_.html

I use an old reloading tray and fill every other hole (think only one color square on a checker board), spray 1 side, rotare tray 180 deg and spray again. Not a real heavy spray. Works every time.

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    I'm firmly in the "One-Shot is fine" crowd. I've not stuck a case either. I put about 100 cases in a gallon, spray them down for 4-5 seconds, then close the bag and shake/knead them around to make sure they are all coated. Works for me.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Seconded
    Also, having to wait for more tolerable weather, preferably in the mid 60s temp-wise.
    I don't like sweating while loading at all.

^^^^^100% agree^^^^^^

Sweating out a couple unwanted pounds at work so after work don't want to sweat any more.

Top Bottom