Thinking of buying a G42-how do you determine if it has all of the glock updates

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    We've seen around 60 G42 pistols purchased and qualified since they were released. Of those I've seen four or five which had problems and they were all early pistols. All of those were remedied with the updated trigger housing and slide stop lever. None of them required the latest magazines once the other two parts were replaced.

I have seen another dozen or so which didn't like the garbage ammo their owners bought to shoot through the guns. Every one of them shot 100% with quality ammo.

dfcrane

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Feb 25, 2011
    South West Indiana
    I have had my Glock 42 for a little over a year now. I have right at 500 rounds through it and have had zero problems. I also have a Glock 43 and have never noticed the alleged harsh recoil people love talk about on the internet either.

leakywaders

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 10, 2012
    highland ind
    Thanks. It would be nice if Glock would have came out with a easier way to identify other than dis-assembling pistol to check for updates parts, etc. Highly doubt seller will let me completely tear it down to check.
    I have one for sale and it is the newer one with the new markings and I have no problem with a buyer taking it down.
    I would do the same thing.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I believe this video gives a good overview of the differences between the early models and the upgraded one's.

[video=youtube_share;HVhgYtWvZ18]http://youtu.be/HVhgYtWvZ18[/video]

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You will not have to take it down and disassemble it. Simply lock the slide back, and look down into the ejection port. You can see the most important part right there and be able to tell in an instant whether it's a new or original unit.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    No offense, but are you sure you had a good grip and werent limp wristing? My 42 is awesome and eats anything I put in it. However if I hand it to my wife, I can pretty much guarantee a failure at least once per mag. They are nice, compact guns but are even less forgiving of technique than their larger brethren.

ummmm, yeah. I know I wasn't limp wristing. The last one I gave a chance (came back not once, but twice, to the platform, hoping to make it work) had the latest greatest parts in it. Ran the ball ammo I had, but choked 2-3 times per mag on XTP loads, which are as much as I'm willing to compromise on ammo wise for carry in a 380 (which I found odd, but telling of inconsistencies, since my first gen 42 had no issues with XTP loads). I was an early adopter, even came to the conclusion myself on the slide stop interfering with certain loads feeding (posted quite a bit on this at the time) before I saw much about it online.

I held high hopes for it. Just too many hit or miss stories and personal experience to ever go there again.

It'd be one thing if there weren't guns in a similar size and weight to the 42 in 9mm. But since I can either carry a 380 that's smaller with the same capacity as the 42 that's never given me reliability problems (multiple LCPs experience), or a 9mm that's very close in size and weight to the 42 (LC9S Pro), the 42 just doesn't hold appeal. YMMV.

Last edited:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    It'd be one thing if there weren't guns in a similar size and weight to the 42 in 9mm. But since I can either carry a 380 that's smaller with the same capacity as the 42 that's never given me reliability problems (multiple LCPs experience), or a 9mm that's very close in size and weight to the 42 (LC9S Pro), the 42 just doesn't hold appeal. YMMV.

What's the recoil like on that LC9S Pro? Is it softer than the Shield, or comparable?

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    What's the recoil like on that LC9S Pro? Is it softer than the Shield, or comparable?

Well, for your (girlfriend's) use, I'd say a bit snappier than you're looking for. The Shield shoots softer. The LC9S Pro is quite a bit lighter, and it's got a slightly higher bore axis than the Shield. It fits my small fingered hand better than a Shield, however, with greater purchase.

For a small, (fairly) light-weight, and shootable 9mm, we've had good experiences with the Beretta Nano. The little thing is built like a tank, and is a 6+1 or 8+1 gun. Some folks are thrown off by the lack of an external slide stop. Just takes a little change to your manual of arms to handle any stoppages. The only thing that ever hung up any of the ones (3 or 4? I lose count. I'm terrible about changing things up and going back to the same guns) I've had was the very first one hung up on WWB (go figure!) once or twice in the first 100 rounds, then never gave another problem. Every other one ran like a top. Run good ammo through them and they run great. Something about the trigger and weight distribution seem to contribute to a soft shooter. My theory on DAO triggers is that if they've got resistance throughout the trigger stroke they seem to help contribute to your grip as you squeeze through, stabilizing things. The Nano has such a trigger - not quite like a DAO revolver or Sig, say, but it doesn't feel like it stacks at the end of travel like a Glock.

You might see if you and she can put some rounds through one. It's not going to recoil like a 42 (when it runs!), but subjectively I'd say it's softer than a Shield, and QUITE a bit smaller to carry around than most other 9mm's... For that matter, the Sig P290RS can be had in 9mm and now 380, and that's a nice little DAO runner...

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County

For that matter, but it's not on my radar because of all the safeties involved in it, Ruger makes the LC380.... that should be a soft shooter, too...

So's the Sig P238, but again, safeties... Had a brace of those for wifey and I, even my (then) 10 year old daughter liked shooting it. Pricey, and has a safety, so there's that.

Last edited:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    For that matter, but it's not on my radar because of all the safeties involved in it, Ruger makes the LC380.... that should be a soft shooter, too...

The Pro model doesn't have a thumb safety or a magazine disconnect, but I agree, they're snappier than expected.

Sig P290? Double action trigger but it is compact (smaller than a 43, just heavier)

maver1ck

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    107   0   0
    Nov 17, 2013
    NW indiana
    I have one for sale and it is the newer one with the new markings and I have no problem with a buyer taking it down.
    I would do the same thing.
    Thank you for posting. I am sorry I never replied to you. I got my posts up to 50 so I could send you that pm that night. The next day my posts were back down to 26. Some moderator deemed half of them to be "one liners" and deleted them so I couldn't reply back to you anymore due to the rules. As you can see I am only up to 30. If you can pm me an email address so we can continue until I get my count back up I would appreciate it as I am still interested in your G42.

maver1ck

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    107   0   0
    Nov 17, 2013
    NW indiana
    I have never fired the shield, so I cannot attest if it similar, but I did try an LC9 (not the pro) and I found it to be a little snappy and has a very long trigger pull. I didn't care for it. Just my 2 cents.

Indy-Mike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Carmel
    If you have an early version, do you just call up Glock and ask to send it back, what about extra mags that you've purchased that are the original version?

wassup61

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2015
    nwi
    I have never fired the shield, so I cannot attest if it similar, but I did try an LC9 (not the pro) and I found it to be a little snappy and has a very long trigger pull. I didn't care for it. Just my 2 cents.

I believe the lc9 (non s) is a completely different trigger assembly. When I tried the s vs non s, it was night and day no comparison. The s is almost a s&w/sig like trigger

maver1ck

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    107   0   0
    Nov 17, 2013
    NW indiana
    Yeah I don't know. I was at a range and rented one-so I can't tell you which one it was exactly. All I can say is that I didn't like it. You may be correct, but in my mind I would never purchase one. Don't get me wrong-I love ruger guns-have several. Just not a fan of that particular ruger. I really didn't care for any of the LC models (tried a 380 as well).

Top Bottom