Thinking of buying a G42-how do you determine if it has all of the glock updates

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Well, for your (girlfriend's) use, I'd say a bit snappier than you're looking for. The Shield shoots softer. The LC9S Pro is quite a bit lighter, and it's got a slightly higher bore axis than the Shield. It fits my small fingered hand better than a Shield, however, with greater purchase.

For a small, (fairly) light-weight, and shootable 9mm, we've had good experiences with the Beretta Nano. The little thing is built like a tank, and is a 6+1 or 8+1 gun. Some folks are thrown off by the lack of an external slide stop. Just takes a little change to your manual of arms to handle any stoppages. The only thing that ever hung up any of the ones (3 or 4? I lose count. I'm terrible about changing things up and going back to the same guns) I've had was the very first one hung up on WWB (go figure!) once or twice in the first 100 rounds, then never gave another problem. Every other one ran like a top. Run good ammo through them and they run great. Something about the trigger and weight distribution seem to contribute to a soft shooter. My theory on DAO triggers is that if they've got resistance throughout the trigger stroke they seem to help contribute to your grip as you squeeze through, stabilizing things. The Nano has such a trigger - not quite like a DAO revolver or Sig, say, but it doesn't feel like it stacks at the end of travel like a Glock.

You might see if you and she can put some rounds through one. It's not going to recoil like a 42 (when it runs!), but subjectively I'd say it's softer than a Shield, and QUITE a bit smaller to carry around than most other 9mm's... For that matter, the Sig P290RS can be had in 9mm and now 380, and that's a nice little DAO runner...

Missed this post somehow. A buddy of mine has a Nano, I'll have to meet him at his range sometime and try it out, thanks.

INDY-1911

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    Avon
    I had a SIG 238, didnt like its accuracy. Fired a persons G42 w extended mag/laser. I liked it and it was a tac driver. Bought a new G42 and it was ok, but not as nice as the guys from the range. The tigger made me pull hard left. I havent done that since I was 8 years old.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Finding a 42 with prefix AB versus AA would assure you that you have a newer pistol. I've run about everything through mine without a hiccup. I did have a customer that had problems with the SIG hollowpoints in his and just dry cycling my 42 didn't seem to care for them much either.
    I've been called into the range several times with complaints about 42s jamming, our rental and customer pistols. NONE of the pistols jammed when I shot them. As Cameramonkey said smaller pistols are always a little more sensitive to "operator error" that full size guns. Just the nature of small pistols. Timing is more critical so anything even a little abnormal can cause malfunctions.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Certified Glock armorer-M&P armorer & 1911mechanic[FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Finding a 42 with prefix AB versus AA would assure you that you have a newer pistol. I've run about everything through mine without a hiccup. I did have a customer that had problems with the SIG hollowpoints in his and just dry cycling my 42 didn't seem to care for them much either.
    I've been called into the range several times with complaints about 42s jamming, our rental and customer pistols. NONE of the pistols jammed when I shot them. As Cameramonkey said smaller pistols are always a little more sensitive to "operator error" that full size guns. Just the nature of small pistols. Timing is more critical so anything even a little abnormal can cause malfunctions.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Certified Glock armorer-M&P armorer & 1911mechanic[FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]

Mine has an AA prefix, but has the new 1 markings on it. :dunno:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Thank you. I won't carry a gun myself which I don't feel is 100% reliable, so I won't allow my GF to carry something that isn't the same. I guess I'm looking for something else that is small, has little recoil and is more reliable. Maybe the Walther CCP. Not as small, but may meet the other needs...

Lots of Beretta 84s and a few 85s on WalletBreaker. Px4 compacts and subs, too. Just sayin

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Lots of Beretta 84s and a few 85s on WalletBreaker. Px4 compacts and subs, too. Just sayin

For now we've decided to forgo small for reasonable recoil. She's been using my G19 as her home defense gun and may start carrying it as well. It'll do until she decides she wants something else.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Looking to buy one used, so I am wondering what I should be looking for in terms of latest updates on firearm

Plug it into any USB port. Usually Windows will automatically search for drivers and updates for the device.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    For now we've decided to forgo small for reasonable recoil. She's been using my G19 as her home defense gun and may start carrying it as well. It'll do until she decides she wants something else.

Not really a fan but no denying its a solid choice in this case, especially if she has shot it and liked it

Top Bottom