• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Just as a heads up, I've gotten from a very reliable source that the P320 isn't entirely drop safe. A drop from shoulder height on to concrete caused a discharge. No injury other than the roof, but just something to be aware of.
    Could cause a problem for the "inevitable " FBI contract..

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    Just as a heads up, I've gotten from a very reliable source that the P320 isn't entirely drop safe. A drop from shoulder height on to concrete caused a discharge. No injury other than the roof, but just something to be aware of.

Yeah this is concerning... I've actually been very interested in picking one up to see what all the hubbub is about.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Everything I have ever read said the P320 had passed all of the drop tests performed.
    Is there a link or some citation?

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    The inertia was enough to pull the trigger.
    Because the trigger bar and the trigger safety bar on in the same plane, a drop on a hard impact with the muzzle pointed straight up in the air could possibly discharge it. But the P320 is no hair-trigger.

I've taken my FCU apart and handled all the parts, and I'm pretty familiar with the innards. I think it would truly take all the stars aligning just so to produce the kind of discharge we are talking about. In other words, the only way to reproduce it is to exactly reproduce under controlled conditions what is incredibly improbable in reality. It is certainly possible, though.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Everything I have ever read said the P320 had passed all of the drop tests performed.
    Is there a link or some citation?

Passing a drop test at one height doesn't mean it would pass at a higher height.

Question is, what is reasonable?

If the drop tests are only from 3-4 feet and they pass, a drop from shoulder height might easily fail.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    “The pistol is being offered both with a tabbed ‘safety-trigger’ and a standard, blade trigger. The P320 passes NIJ, SAAMI and NATO drop-tests with either trigger. Some people/agencies will insist, so we made one.”
    This was the Sig statement on drop tests.
    I am not sure what those three tests entail.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Would that problem be eliminated by getting the one with the tabbed trigger like a Glock?

I don't know enough to say yes or no, but speculation is it would make it more drop safe. I don't know of any side by side testing, however, and can't say with any certainty.

Top Bottom