• ...and so much more!
  • SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw

Another reason to be extra careful during private transactions.

The article leaves out a key piece of information. He was originally arrested on drug charges and a felon in possession of a firearm. He made a deal with the FBI to get reduced charges if he worked with them on illegal guns, letting them know where he got the firearms as a prohibited person.

He (the felon) got the guns from somewhere else illegally obviously, and tried to set this guy up from church as the person he bought them from. But in reality he (the felon) bought them and was trying to pass them off as being bought by this guy in exchange for his lesser charges. The guy from church is dumb for dropping off cash in a random vehicle then dropping off the duffel bag, and using a sketchy texting app. But all of his story was able to be corroborated from texts with the felon.

Shawn76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2016
    nowhere
    Why do you think you we be thrown in jail?
    If you’re caught with a stolen firearm,that’s a crime. You may get out of it but still taking a ride and going to court to explain the situation on how you got the gun. If I do buy used,I keep screenshots of text messages to show where it comes from as well. Just my way of doing things. Never had an issue but heard of a few people who did. One paid around $600 for a Glock,had the numbers ran by PD and it was stolen. Private seller sold it to him

brdhntr37

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    I've always gotten one when buying ever since I heard a guy bought one then the seller turned around and reported stolen. Wouldn't put anything past people nowadays

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    With the people reporting problems in sales, this is the good thing about the INGO. Just deal with people that are active here that you have some knowledge of from interacting with them. Most everyone that has been here awhile are good folks or we would have found out otherwise after some time. That is why we have the 50 post rule to get in the classifieds.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    If you’re caught with a stolen firearm,that’s a crime.
    Not necessarily. It depends on how it came into your possession. Simply having a stolen gun isn't a crime in and of itself. At least not that I am aware.
    You may get out of it but still taking a ride and going to court to explain the situation on how you got the gun.
    You may have to explain, but highly unlikely you would have to "take a ride" or go to court unless you obtained it illegally.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Not necessarily. It depends on how it came into your possession. Simply having a stolen gun isn't a crime in and of itself. At least not that I am aware.

You may have to explain, but highly unlikely you would have to "take a ride" or go to court unless you obtained it illegally.
    It doesn't seem to be in Indiana. Stolen property ends up in pawn shops all the time with no consequences. The victim even has to buy their stuff back from them if they want it.

1SG USA Ret

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Pendleton
    The law requires that you don't knowingly sell to someone who is an improper person. And that they live in the same state you do. That is it.

Some will require seeing a DL and a pink card as that will most likely satisfy both. Others will do a bill of sale.

Meeting at a LGS for a transfer is another option but that ads money and some people don't want a paper trail as ".gov doesn't need to know what I have." I can't blame them.

So it's entirely up to you how far you go. How much do you want to CYA?
    I did NOT know that the buyer of the gun has to live in the same state. Are we talking about a private sale or a gun shop? Could you please cite your source.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Why would one treat a trade differently? Still an exchange for a value, just a different currency…
    Mainly that those I trade around with I know and have known for years. The Winchester level guy, the contender guy, the benchrest style rifle guy, the guy who buys only Winchester model 42’s ect. One side of the trade (my purchase of say the shotgun at the pawn shop or the 10-22) would have a bill of sale. But when I trade the over and under to the guy who collects them and I have known since 1990 I don’t need or want a receipt.

Plus in my eyes the ATF would look at a trade of items of value for trade of items of value much less as profit making. I will admit I have never made a dime on my gun hobby.
    When I bought 11 tec-9’s before the ban they became very sought after (don’t ask me why only good for drive by’s if you can keep them from jamming then) and became great trade bait for grandpa’s unwanted older stuff.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I did NOT know that the buyer of the gun has to live in the same state. Are we talking about a private sale or a gun shop? Could you please cite your source.
    Private sale needs to be in state.
    A sale from a FFL / Gun store is a bit different. A handgun must be in the same state. A long gun can be a bordering state.

When you "buy a gun online" the firearm is shipped to a FFL/Gun store in your state. You go there and fill out the 4473 and pay the transfer fee.

As far as the actual code for the laws, I don't have time to dig them up right now. Maybe another member could post them.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I thought they were on here as a sticky, IC 32 something IIRC, someone will know. I could be mistaken also.

He can google Ind. gun laws, there be a bunch but the main IC # will be there, read on.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I show them my ID and ask for theirs and run their name on mycase. Then set the IDs next to the firearm and both of us take a picture.
    The minute you start typing my personal information into a database, we're done.....and a photo of my ID, nope.

To each his own.
    Yep. *Adding MrNewVegas to my "do not deal with" list. ;)

I'm a C&R license holder, so if I buy or sell a C&R eligible firearm, I have to record certain info in my logbook (basically DL info). I've had people balk at that, and that's cool, but I have to do it. Not my rules. I'm thinking I'm going to let my license expire next year though.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Code in the link below.

Top Bottom