• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    What is everyone's take on the Doomsday Castle show on Nat Geo? Can this family be for real or is it just made for tv ala Bear Grylls? It seems like the Father made a ahlf hearted attempt and now is trying to rope in the kids to "Git-R-Done!" If I had dropped the kind of coin it looks like he has, I wouldn't be foolish enough to put it on tv for everyone to see and I definitely wouldn't be half-assing it with some home-made drawbridge and catapoult. There are ways to prevent people from coming up you road. I don't think I would need a moat to keep people out. Most static "fortresses" fall because time is not on their side. Seemed like a big waste of time and money to me. It is interesting tv though. Idiots are everywhere! :laugh:

togden812

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2011
    Osgood
    1) After seeing them on Doomsday Preppers and this new show, I must say I am not surprised at all that he only has the walls built. They accomplished absolutely nothing in the first two episodes, which was probably weeks of taping.

2) Eventually the kids have to realize their dad is kind of a dick. The first day he has a bunch of his crazy friends chase his kids down. Not to mention he blew up a tree in front of his daughter.

3) I'm pretty sure his oldest son is just there to be on TV because he has no real job.

4) He said the walls of the castle can't be penetrated by a 50 cal. Maybe ONE, but I'm sure is someone has a 50 cal they aren't bringing just one bullet. And I've seen quite a few cinder block buildings get broken through using 5.56 quite easily. If someone wants in they are getting in.

5) Finally, He said he is going to build a mote. The drawbridge was probably 10' high. That's going to be a pretty small mote, not to mention there really isn't any level ground around the castle.

Just my :twocents:.

Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    All those large windows on the outside are a security nightmare.
    How about a real castle like structure folks...2' thick concrete walls on the outside with rifle slits, large windows in the courtyard.
    A dry moat could be good to keep vehicles from crashing into the walls though.
    And you have to cut the trees back for at least 50 yards.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My wife and I think it is absolutely hilarious. Pretty much every "prep" is fairly worthless.

- The catapult is barely good for a single shot. Too long to reload, too short of range, and too small of projectiles.
    - Not much of a "kill zone" when you drop the trees right away. Besides, anyone could just walk out of your "kill zone" and walk up to your "castle" by the time you fire the catapult once.
    - The drawbridge is barely safe to walk across, let alone carry any weight. It was bowed and crooked, and didn't even close all of the way. And "bullet-proof"? One single shot, and only barely. Heck, in their "testing" the 1/8" sheet (not plate) didn't stop anything, but they went with it anyway? Why both testing, then?
    - The older "boy" is a buffoon. The girls just seem to be window dressing. Dad is a jerk. That leaves the "younger" guy, who at least doesn't seem completely inept.

Not even worth the space on my DVR, but it was funny for a bit.

DepTaylor

Plinker
    Rating - 97%
    32   1   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Westfield
    The daughters are pretty hot.

Agreed on the daughters.

The .223 getting stuck in the drawbridge wood was a joke. It penetrated the 1/8" steel or whatever and then almost came through the wood. How worthless.

The oldest son making the battering ram out of the tractor was so stupid.

The only reason I may continue to watch is the daughters.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    I really was interested at first, but it became readily apparent this show was entertainment and not a "serious" show. Not worth my time any more. I'm going to pass.......

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    There is a reason why castles went out of style a while ago... Its called gun powder.

Gunpowder, which was already known in the 11th century, didn't exactly spell the end of castles; it started the end, for sure. But by the time we figured out how to drop bombs from planes, above-ground fortification really looked like a futile idea.

That's the other thing: doomsday preppers seem to have in mind general break down of public order and economy. Why is it that they never seem to consider an invading army? Look around the world, and there are some SHTF or halfway TEOTWAWKI places, and they mostly involve war. An aerial raid will reduce the castle to rubbles in minutes.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    Very interesting! This guy seems to have it al nailed down. I could see that system working well for quite a long time. With proper site preparation, burying of the lines, and a super camo job, you could walk right by that and not even know it was there! That solves one of the many off-grid problems a person has.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    General Patton once said something like "Fixed fortifications are monuments to the stupidity of man. If mountains and oceans can be overcome, then anything built by man can be overcome..."

Top Bottom